G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

73 chevelle with opera windows?????

+5
dynchel
Oldschool454
1973 454 MONTE
driveit
1973montec
9 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

73 chevelle with opera windows????? Empty 73 chevelle with opera windows?????

Post by 1973montec Mon Aug 11, 2014 10:17 am

http://cleveland.craigslist.org/pts/4612816282.html

73 chevelle with opera windows????? Opera10
1973montec
1973montec
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 17

Back to top Go down

73 chevelle with opera windows????? Empty Re: 73 chevelle with opera windows?????

Post by driveit Mon Aug 11, 2014 11:55 am

Never seen one. Maybe he is confused. I have seen some 74s with the larger window typically known as the 73 window.
driveit
driveit
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 15

Back to top Go down

73 chevelle with opera windows????? Empty Re: 73 chevelle with opera windows?????

Post by 1973 454 MONTE Mon Aug 11, 2014 1:03 pm

73 chevelle with opera windows????? Ooops_10

its a 73 alright
1973 454 MONTE
1973 454 MONTE
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 36

Back to top Go down

Post by Oldschool454 Mon Aug 11, 2014 1:31 pm

They must have changed the rear quarters and tail light panel or something. They didn't have those smaller windows until 74. My brother has a 73 that I posted pics of on my car's "Nascar inspired laguna project" thread and for his windows to look like that GM had to make plastic window coverings to cover the original bigger glass the 73 had to make it look like this car has the smaller opera windows because they didn't make those style of quarter panels yet. And that was at the very end of the 73 model year. I know that much because when we got his car and I saw the smaller window I thought someone had changed it to be like that. If this car did in fact come from the factory like that I would be very interested to learn more about it.
Oldschool454
Oldschool454
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 5

Back to top Go down

Post by dynchel Mon Aug 11, 2014 1:42 pm

dynchel
dynchel
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 40

Back to top Go down

Post by Oldschool454 Mon Aug 11, 2014 1:44 pm

http://www.chevelles.com/showroom/data/500/73LagunaExperience2.jpg
Oldschool454
Oldschool454
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Oldschool454 Mon Aug 11, 2014 1:44 pm

http://www.chevelles.com/showroom/data/500/73LagunaExperience1.jpg
Oldschool454
Oldschool454
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Oldschool454 Mon Aug 11, 2014 1:50 pm

The one on that clist add is different I think. It has the full quarters that make up the window rather than the "filler piece" that GM used to simply cover the larger 73 window like in the add in the link I just posted and the other thread.
Oldschool454
Oldschool454
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Oldschool454 Mon Aug 11, 2014 1:57 pm

If you were to peel off the vinyl roof on the car in that add you would find the whole window like in most 73s, with a piece of plastic covering it up to make it look like the smaller winder. The car in the clist add has the newer quarters that I'm under the impression weren't made till 74. Or I've heard someone say Nov. of 73 is when they started making the different quarter panels for the smaller opera windows. Maybe it was a car that was made beween nov and dec of 73?
Oldschool454
Oldschool454
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by dynchel Mon Aug 11, 2014 2:33 pm

Oldschool454 wrote:If you were to peel off the vinyl roof on the car in that add you would find the whole window like in most 73s, with a piece of plastic covering it up to make it look like the smaller winder. The car in the clist add has the newer quarters that I'm under the impression weren't made till 74. Or I've heard someone say Nov. of 73 is when they started making the different quarter panels for the smaller opera windows. Maybe it was a car that was made beween nov and dec of 73?
The problem with that theory is wouldn't that be a '74 model year car?  It would be nowadays
dynchel
dynchel
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Oldschool454 Mon Aug 11, 2014 3:00 pm

Here's what's confusing me. And if I'm mistaken then do say so. But 73 quarters are different from 74-77 quarters. 73 is different in the back where the bumper tucks in. And if you look up replacements for 73 nos quarters they're ALL cut for the larger typical 73 windows. The new replacement quarters that are advertised as "73-77" are WRONG, and should just say 74-77. Although you might be able to make it work. I don't know. But I do know they're different. This guy's car on clist has what looks like 73 quarters where the bumper tucks in, yet has the upper half like the 74 and up with the smaller opera window. Unless like I said before it actually is a car that was made between nov and dec of 73 when they started making the different quarters. But then why does it have the different shaped area by the bumper? did they just make those to fit the rest of the 73s for only 2 months then change it again for the new 74s?????? Inquiring minds want to know! lol
Oldschool454
Oldschool454
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by dynchel Mon Aug 11, 2014 3:08 pm

73's have the side markers located differently, BUT this car has them shaved.  The top could have been changed to a donor roof, who knows what happened to the body in the last 41 years.
dynchel
dynchel
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe73 Mon Aug 11, 2014 3:12 pm

73 quarters are definitely a one year thing due to the difference of the tail light panel (and bumper area). But there have been 74 and 75 malibus with the triangular window.
I believe any 73 with the smaller window was a dealer installed thing hence the vinyl top to cover and the odd size of the window.
Search 1975 malibu and 1974 mailbu in google images and you will find some nice malibus with the triangle window.
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 83

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe73 Mon Aug 11, 2014 3:14 pm

Didnt notice the shaved side markers on that CL ad. So that car wouldnt even be street legal in the US until thats fixed. Every vehicle from 1968 on must have marker lights front and rear.
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by dynchel Mon Aug 11, 2014 3:14 pm

I believe Base Malibu's used the big triangle windows through '77.
dynchel
dynchel
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by dynchel Mon Aug 11, 2014 3:16 pm

Joe73 wrote:Didnt notice the shaved side markers on that CL ad.  So that car wouldnt even be street legal in the US until thats fixed.  Every vehicle from 1968 on must have marker lights front and rear.
Ohio doesn't have a vehicle inspection...the car is in Ohio...
  While technically illegal, you'd be fine here
dynchel
dynchel
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Oldschool454 Mon Aug 11, 2014 3:18 pm

True, especially since they just did all the body work. There's no way of knowing what they all did without looking at it up close. He says it's a "real SS car" but if they replaced the roof like you said or even just the top half of the quarters then it wouldn't be the same as a real SS. Close, but not the same. And so now the question remains, did 73's EVER come with those smaller opera window quarter panels? besides the ones with the filler panel that I already posted.
Oldschool454
Oldschool454
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe73 Mon Aug 11, 2014 5:49 pm

dynchel wrote:
Joe73 wrote:Didnt notice the shaved side markers on that CL ad.  So that car wouldnt even be street legal in the US until thats fixed.  Every vehicle from 1968 on must have marker lights front and rear.
Ohio doesn't have a vehicle inspection...the car is in Ohio...
  While technically illegal, you'd be fine here

Side marker lights have nothing to do with any states laws. Its federal law. Falls under "missing equipement".
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by dynchel Mon Aug 11, 2014 5:59 pm

No disrespect but who enforces federal law?  No one I've ever seen.
dynchel
dynchel
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe73 Mon Aug 11, 2014 6:19 pm

Local police, state police or troopers or ANY law enforcement authority for that matter can enforce the law.
Every state has to abide by a federally mandated law. So when the feds decided that in 1968 all cars had to have side marker lights every state had to abide by it. So its law in every state.

A state vehicle inspector is not law enforcement so he just does his job. Its when you run into law enforcement who knows what he is doing, thats when you run into a problem.
Another good one is a white dashboard. Illegal in the US. I used to grab custom cars all the time for that one. Inspection stations have know idea about that stuff.
And when we remove all out "smog" stuff on the motor or even a convertor. Its illegal to be on the road. Law enforcement can seize the vehicle. I've run into that one especially in the mid 80's when the mustang gts became pretty quick. Basically, give me a hard time and I'll take it.
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Trbulnc Mon Aug 11, 2014 7:55 pm

Not all cars have side marker lights. My all orig viper has neither front or rear side marker lights.

Trbulnc
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 3

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe73 Mon Aug 11, 2014 7:58 pm

Got a pic?  Or what year dodge viper? Cant picture it off the top of my head.  Could it have been incorporated into the head or tail lights?  My 99 buick has no rear marker lights on the body but are incorporated into the tail light.  There there somewhere.
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Trbulnc Mon Aug 11, 2014 8:04 pm

73 chevelle with opera windows????? 1C7AD588-1347-4956-9943-CA68632BE786

Nope. Doesn't have them. Smooth all the way. Front is all hood.

Trbulnc
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 3

Back to top Go down

Post by Limey SE Mon Aug 11, 2014 8:14 pm

You can see the front one on lower front corner of fender and rear tails wrap around to not take away from the Body lines but the 2014 Viper Clearly has them.

First pic is older one, second is 2014

73 chevelle with opera windows????? 2004_dodge_viper_2_dr_srt-10_convertible-pic-3950205557415590328

73 chevelle with opera windows????? 2014-Dodge-Viper-Release-Date
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Street Cred : 97

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe73 Mon Aug 11, 2014 8:34 pm

I took a look at google images. The 88 and 89 are the hardest to see. But they're in the side of the headlight and the side of the wrap around tail light. Just turn on your parking lights and you'll see them.
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next