G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Removing Snorkel

5 posters

Go down

Removing Snorkel  Empty Removing Snorkel

Post by mychev123 Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:41 pm

My 77 malibu has the snorkel air intake with the cleaner inside a case. Can I just remove that and get a cleaner that just goes on top without all that other stuff? I think it looks pretty ugly and Im going to put in an Edelbrock 1406 carb so Id like to get a 14x3 air cleaner.
mychev123
mychev123
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 0

Back to top Go down

Removing Snorkel  Empty Re: Removing Snorkel

Post by dynchel Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:45 pm

Yeah should be fine but you will have to plug any vacuum lines that attach to it.
dynchel
dynchel
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 40

Back to top Go down

Post by 77mali Fri Jan 11, 2013 4:01 pm

just make sure whichever you buy will fit the carb shape. Some cleaners are designed for Q-jet, some Holly, others Edelbrock & so on.

77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 62

Back to top Go down

Post by dynchel Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:57 pm

Your best long term goal would be to get a non egr intake, a non emissions carburetor, and headers. This would remove pretty much remove all the emissions crap off the engine. If you have a air pump trash it. All you really want is a working pcv system. If you still have it toss the converter also and get some true dual exhaust. Unless you have emissions testing in your neck of the woods, this is the best way to go (in my opinion). Unless emission testing is a concern.... tongue
dynchel
dynchel
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 40

Back to top Go down

Post by pila Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:27 pm

Is it a daily driver? The heat from the exh manifold, through the "snorkle" helps mileage & warm up, like during cold weather. If it's just a fun/weekender, A 14 X3 should work fine.

pila
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 43

Back to top Go down

Post by mychev123 Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:33 pm

During the summer its driven quite a bit but the rest of the year I'm at college. This would be mainly for looks I guess because I think that intake is kinda ugly. Ill probably just take it off and put a 14x3 on when I put the 4-barrel carb on.
mychev123
mychev123
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by bigredlaguna Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:58 pm

To add to what Pila mentioned, if the snorkel has a flex hose going to the core support then you have a cold air induction. It may not look pretty, but engines like cooler air going through the intake.
bigredlaguna
bigredlaguna
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Street Cred : 53

Back to top Go down

Post by 77mali Sat Jan 12, 2013 12:13 am

The 1406 carb has an electric choke I believe. You hook it up to an electric circuit that will become live only when the car is running & you should be fine.

It's been a while since I've looked at all the "piping" that is on a snorkel style assembly but if you have the PCV and then a breather vent on the opposite valve cover that's really all you need with the non EGR intake manifolds.

Make sure you photograph & or label the vacuum lines & reinstall them in the correct port on the carb. As mentioned you may have to plug any that will not be reused as a result of your conversion to the new air cleaner assembly.
77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 62

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down