G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

be careful

+4
Laguna Budman
bigredlaguna
pila
Landonus
8 posters

Go down

be careful Empty be careful

Post by alleyball4 Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:09 pm

Be careful, there's a few guys that have 73 Malibu's, that are trying to sell them off as Chevelle SS cars. The one has the rectangular Malibu dash gauge set.

The other one, will not send me certain pictures .... just be careful, if you are looking for an SS, that you don't buy a clone, thinking it was a true SS.

alleyball4
alleyball4
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 5

Back to top Go down

be careful Empty Re: be careful

Post by Landonus Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:38 pm

Is there any real way to tell without having the build sheet?
Landonus
Landonus
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by pila Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:20 pm

What year was the last real SS built ? I had a '76 SS Elco, but it only had round gauges and stripes etc. I sold it not too long after, since it didn't have AC.
Without performance parts in an SS model, it's only an appearance issue.

pila
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 43

Back to top Go down

Post by dragons_lair59 Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:21 pm

as far as i know chevelle SS last yr was 73 laguna replaced it in 74
dragons_lair59
dragons_lair59
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 11

Back to top Go down

Post by 77mali Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:24 pm

Yep. Chevelle SS was 1973 only. They came with either a 350 or 454 & that 1 year only front grille/bumper combo (& a whole lotta other 1 year only stuff).
77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 62

Back to top Go down

Post by bigredlaguna Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:57 pm

What was different about the bumper? and the grill was painted black vs. argent IIRC. The taillights has black accent paint. Anything else?
bigredlaguna
bigredlaguna
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Street Cred : 53

Back to top Go down

Post by 77mali Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:14 am

Bumper shocks & mount brackets I think. Some one else can probably come up with more stuff...LOL

Maybe the little emblem on the dash by the glove box too. I'm up past my bedtime... drunken Sleep
77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by dragons_lair59 Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:03 am

think 77mali was stating some of the 73 only stuff
dragons_lair59
dragons_lair59
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by bigredlaguna Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:24 am

I know. The bumper should be the same as any other Chevelle. Don't know why the mounting hardware would be any different.

I am fairly certain that the only things that distinguish a SS Chevelle from any other are a few appearance cues, and an upgraded suspension package that isn't easily found out without a VIN or build sheet.
bigredlaguna
bigredlaguna
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Street Cred : 53

Back to top Go down

Post by dragons_lair59 Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:43 am

i beleive he ment 73 period not just SS
dragons_lair59
dragons_lair59
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Laguna Budman Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:47 am

Bumpers and mounts on front and rear are different. Bumper fillers also. They also had the plastic inner fender wells. Tailpanel one off also, seatbelts and probabley a few other things I can't think of right off the bat.
Laguna Budman
Laguna Budman
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 9

Back to top Go down

Post by alleyball4 Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:17 am

the differences have been discussed on here before .... besides the build sheet .... the door panels have the SS emblem ... the dash gauges are round not rectangular, the bumper grill and tail lights are black. Of course, it has the SS badging on the front grill, the sides, and rear.

The striping on the SS went around the wheel wells, and the majority of SS clone cars will not take the time, or money to reproduce this striping on their cars.

It came with the 350 and 454 options. The SS cars that are worth the most money are the factory 4 speeds. I saw a factory Muncie 4 speed 454 SS go for $21,000 last year. I own a 350 factory 4 speed SS.

The suspension is upgraded on the 454 SS, because of the additional weight of the motor.

The automatic 454, came with a 400 turbo transmission. The gearing in the rear end was a 2.73 posi. (there will be a metal tag attached to the differential confirming that). The 350 gearing was a 3.08. Both had the 8.5 Chevy 10 bolt rear-ends.

The majority of SS cars had the swivel buckets. I believe the bench option, was a special order item.

I have seen quite a few people selling their cars, slap the SS emblems on their car, paint the grill black, and say it's an SS. Do a little homework.

alleyball4
alleyball4
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by dragons_lair59 Fri Feb 22, 2013 3:40 am

actually stripes for an ss are these ones technically
http://phoenixgraphix.com/gm/1973cvl.php
or so ivebeen told
dragons_lair59
dragons_lair59
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by dragons_lair59 Fri Feb 22, 2013 3:41 am

personally i think they would look better on an elcamino
dragons_lair59
dragons_lair59
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe73 Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:48 am

dragons_lair59 wrote:actually stripes for an ss are these ones technically
http://phoenixgraphix.com/gm/1973cvl.php
or so ivebeen told

That striping is not for an SS but I believe a certain dealer option out west. SS's will have the wheel well striping, low on the body not higher like the later laguan S3's. Thats how mine came. Mine is a factory bench SS and it came with a 3.42 posi from the factory. I have buckets in mine now but still have the bench in storage. The 3.42 is a nice rear for these cars, I have that in storage as well.
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 83

Back to top Go down

Post by 77mali Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:05 am

77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe73 Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:19 am

I believe you hit it right Mali.

An SS option on ANY year, any model, is just an appearance package. It doesnt mean you have or have no performance "stuff". My uncle owned a brand new 67 box nova SS, buckets, dark blue with black vinyl and it was a 6 cylinder. My neighbor had a 65 chevelle SS with a 6 as well.

I still remember buying mine. It was 1982, just out of high school, and my buddies were going, "you bought a 73 what?, an SS what ?" LOL.

The list above posted members above is pretty complete. As for the bumper thing, its a 73 model year only thing. 73 front bumpers mount to the sides of the bumper shock. 73 Rear bumpers mount to the sides of the chassis. 74 on front bumpers have studs sticking out of the rear of the bumper and the bumper shocks have a flat "plate" on the end of the shock, the bumper just slides on and you put nuts on the rear. 74 on rears are pretty much the same thing.

Thats why 73 is a one year only chassis. In order to use a 73 chassis in a 74-77 car you have to cut the rear part of the chassis off and use the rear part from the 74-77. As for the front bumper, you can just change shocks and the 74-77 bumper will fit.
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 83

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down