G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I am putting t tops in my 74 laguna anybody ever seen one with t tops? Or have any pics of one?

+5
Bruisr
toms74laguna
Mcarlo77
Limey SE
77mali
9 posters

Go down

I am putting t tops in my 74 laguna anybody ever seen one with t tops? Or have any pics of one? Empty I am putting t tops in my 74 laguna anybody ever seen one with t tops? Or have any pics of one?

Post by toms74laguna Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:04 am

I was concidering a trade for a trans am with t tops just so i would have a car with t tops again when it struck me. Just find a regal,cutlass or grand prix with t tops thats being parted out and put them in my car. I found a 76 regal that had a set up hurst hatches and a NEW set of rubber seals. I am picking it up right after he cuts the roof off for me should be ready in a day. I paid $500 for everything probably to much $$$ but I have always wanted it.

If you have seen a laguna or 73-77 chevelle with t tops please send me some pics or post a link to them thanks!!

toms74laguna
G3GM Newbie
G3GM Newbie

Street Cred : 0

Back to top Go down

I am putting t tops in my 74 laguna anybody ever seen one with t tops? Or have any pics of one? Empty Re: I am putting t tops in my 74 laguna anybody ever seen one with t tops? Or have any pics of one?

Post by Mcarlo77 Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:35 am

Don't think $500 is that bad of a deal considering a new set of seals runs about $600. I, too, was considering such a swap on the rusty '76 Laguna and the donor was also a '76 Regal. If I remember right, it wasn't going to be as easy as transplanting the entire roof because they aren't exactly the same, but the front half with the t-tops could be spliced in.
Mcarlo77
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 77

Back to top Go down

I am putting t tops in my 74 laguna anybody ever seen one with t tops? Or have any pics of one? Empty Re: I am putting t tops in my 74 laguna anybody ever seen one with t tops? Or have any pics of one?

Post by 77mali Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:53 pm

Mcarlo is correct...The 76-77 Regal's are notch-back windows (like the Monte's & Grand Prix), whereas the 73-75 "Century or Century Regal" are fast-backs/slant-backs (like Chevelles).
77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 62

Back to top Go down

Post by toms74laguna Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:01 pm

I planned on removing the trim and hardware from the regal roof making a template and cutting out the holes on my roof rather than swapping roofs due to the differences. The guy in buying the roof from has done it before and said he will walk me through it. Retired old school body man

toms74laguna
G3GM Newbie
G3GM Newbie

Back to top Go down

Post by Mcarlo77 Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:54 pm

Then, you gotta do this! Remember...measure twice (uhhh, better make that three times) before cutting!
Mcarlo77
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Limey SE Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:08 am

Mcarlo77 wrote:Then, you gotta do this! Remember...measure twice (uhhh, better make that three times) before cutting!

Tom you better measure like a zillion times for once its cut its cut LOL I so wished I could be there to help you with this would love to see that Guna before and after !!
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Street Cred : 98

Back to top Go down

Post by toms74laguna Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:24 am

The regal door and window opening are 2 inches longer than mine so it may not work

toms74laguna
G3GM Newbie
G3GM Newbie

Back to top Go down

Post by Mcarlo77 Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:56 pm

Guess that would be confirmed by the fact that '76/'77 Regal door glass is not interchangeable with Chevelle's (per Hollander Interchange). Good catch...before you got into it and learned later that this wasn't going to come together like you thought.
Mcarlo77
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Wallyuph Tue Mar 26, 2013 3:15 pm

Do the ones you are looking at have the full metal trim that mounts to the car body and then the glass sets in that trim? or are they like the ones my car has? see photos. mine are just the glass going into the steel car body its self. Mine need some work and have caulk all over the glass. I have not seen any glass panels that are the same as mine only ones with big aluminum trim around them. I have read they had two models for our year cars the old style or first ones and then the late ones with the metal trim on body. I know Hurst and some other company made them.

[url=[url=https://servimg.com/view/17248508/186]I am putting t tops in my 74 laguna anybody ever seen one with t tops? Or have any pics of one? Img_6210

[url=[url=https://servimg.com/view/17248508/187]I am putting t tops in my 74 laguna anybody ever seen one with t tops? Or have any pics of one? Img_6310

[url=[url=https://servimg.com/view/17248508/188]I am putting t tops in my 74 laguna anybody ever seen one with t tops? Or have any pics of one? Img_6311
Wallyuph
Wallyuph
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 31

Back to top Go down

Post by toms74laguna Tue Mar 26, 2013 3:22 pm

How wide are yours the tops from front to back including the trim and is that a chevelle you have there

toms74laguna
G3GM Newbie
G3GM Newbie

Back to top Go down

Post by Wallyuph Tue Mar 26, 2013 3:45 pm

They are 24 1/2" from front to back (bumper to bumper of car) and 21" front center to drip rail.
Mine has a metal tab the the glass hooks into in the center T section of the car. Then they used cam latches to hold them in. I'm sure the gasket is not correct for the period but it will work.

I have no clue if they took the roof off the grand am or just the t tops. They appear to have been cut into the roof of the car or to its original roof I was told and reinforced with steel. The guy I got the car from said the person he got it from stood on the t-top section to prove it was all steel reinforced. I know the lovers on my large triangle windows match those on a grand-am or a can-am style car.

Remember my car is a stock 74 Malibu with all thees mods done to it so I have no clue what it all came from.

[url=[url=https://servimg.com/view/17248508/189]I am putting t tops in my 74 laguna anybody ever seen one with t tops? Or have any pics of one? Photo_12

[url=[url=https://servimg.com/view/17248508/190]I am putting t tops in my 74 laguna anybody ever seen one with t tops? Or have any pics of one? Photo_13

[url=[url=https://servimg.com/view/17248508/191]I am putting t tops in my 74 laguna anybody ever seen one with t tops? Or have any pics of one? Photo_14

[url=[url=https://servimg.com/view/17248508/192]I am putting t tops in my 74 laguna anybody ever seen one with t tops? Or have any pics of one? Photo_15
Wallyuph
Wallyuph
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by toms74laguna Tue Mar 26, 2013 3:48 pm

My tops I bought are 27 inches from front to back including the trim. Around 2-3 inches to wide. Yup what you have 24 inches would be perfect I wonder what they came off of? Are you restoring yours??

toms74laguna
G3GM Newbie
G3GM Newbie

Back to top Go down

Post by toms74laguna Tue Mar 26, 2013 3:52 pm

Yours looks like they grafted a cutlass roof to it. It's totally different than the roof I bought.

toms74laguna
G3GM Newbie
G3GM Newbie

Back to top Go down

Post by Wallyuph Tue Mar 26, 2013 4:09 pm

Yes I am restoring mine.

I have a friend with Trans-am in same years and the body is different.
I think the Buick or olds may be the same roof line but I do not know. I have seen more T-tops in the olds than our cars.

This is the later style with a trim ring attached to the body. I just copied this photo ounce for reference.
[url=[url=https://servimg.com/view/17248508/193]I am putting t tops in my 74 laguna anybody ever seen one with t tops? Or have any pics of one? Ttopgu10

Yes the guy grafted them in. I'm sure it was a lot of work.
Wallyuph
Wallyuph
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Bruisr Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:20 pm

Hey wallyuph, What ypu got going on with the rear quarter windows there? Can you describe how you did it? I like it! Looks really good! My 74 has the same style, I'd like to do something with them but don't know what I could do!
Bruisr
Bruisr
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 8

Back to top Go down

Post by Wallyuph Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:29 pm

Bruisr, I must confess I did not do the work. It was like that when I bought it. I believe they came from a Gand-am. The louvers install first before the glass then the glass goes in up against the louvers. Really hard to wash window like that.
It will be next winter before I paint it so will not take apart until then.
Wallyuph
Wallyuph
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 1973 454 MONTE Sat Apr 06, 2013 10:05 am

wally

that 74 is gonna be killer when done. so many mods.
1973 454 MONTE
1973 454 MONTE
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 36

Back to top Go down

I am putting t tops in my 74 laguna anybody ever seen one with t tops? Or have any pics of one? Empty Laguna with T-Tops Pics

Post by g3chevy / Mr Pontiac Sat Apr 13, 2013 12:02 am

Here are a couple pics of a 74 Laguna with t-tops I found several years back. Hope this helps.
[img]I am putting t tops in my 74 laguna anybody ever seen one with t tops? Or have any pics of one? 74_lag12[/img]
[img]I am putting t tops in my 74 laguna anybody ever seen one with t tops? Or have any pics of one? 74_lag13[/img]
g3chevy / Mr Pontiac
g3chevy / Mr Pontiac
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 35

Back to top Go down

Post by driveit Sat Apr 13, 2013 7:27 am

Who ever had my car before me cut the top out of it to put in t tops and then junked the car! Bought it for 50$ and I am working on getting it right again.
driveit
driveit
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 15

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down