G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Caprice Rear End Swap ???'s

+8
brownbomber77
thatfnthing
McCauley5983
Sleddogg
alleyball4
Limey SE
dynchel
1973 454 MONTE
12 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Caprice Rear End Swap ???'s - Page 2 Empty Re: Caprice Rear End Swap ???'s

Post by bitterfitter Wed Feb 17, 2016 12:40 pm

73CopperMonte wrote:When I had a 95 Caprice rear end installed, the 73-77 lower control arm bushing is too narrow (it could be shimmed with washers) and the ID is also incorrect.  I used a Moog lower control arm bushing for a 68-1970 something Thunderbird and LTD. It has the correct 73-77 od for our control arms, and the correct Caprice ID and width.

Did anyone ever find out exactly which bushing was used from what Ford to make this swap a little easier? I still have a 95 Impala axle I had to remove from my '73 before I sold it, and I want to install it into my '74. This sounds like it would make it go a lot smoother.

bitterfitter
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 9

Back to top Go down

Post by 99B4C Wed Feb 17, 2016 10:49 pm

PM sent- I am 99.99% sure I used Moog K8135 bushings in my 73-77 lower arms (rear location)  to get the 95 Caprice rear in my 73 Monte. The K8135 has the correct width and ID for the Caprice rear housing and control arm bolt and the correct OD for the 73-77 lower control arm. Made the swap a direct bolt in.  I used 73-77 upper arms with Currie Johnny Joints in the rearend housing upper location, Moog bushings at the frame.

99B4C
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 4

Back to top Go down

Post by bitterfitter Wed Feb 17, 2016 11:13 pm

Awesome. Thanks for the information. Now to get a fool proof plan for making the parking brake work and I am ready to install my rear end in my '74.

bitterfitter
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 9

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2