G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Won't Start!

+11
thatfnthing
bigredlaguna
Bruisr
McCauley5983
Pontichev327
1973 454 MONTE
1973montec
pila
ant7377
Limey SE
Tom77
15 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Won't Start! - Page 3 Empty Re: Won't Start!

Post by driveit Sat May 18, 2013 7:50 am

Driv'in it again!
driveit
driveit
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 15

Back to top Go down

Post by dynchel Sat May 18, 2013 7:58 am

What did it end up being?
dynchel
dynchel
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 40

Back to top Go down

Post by driveit Sat May 18, 2013 7:59 am

dynchel wrote:I just thought of something else, parts of the 1974 seat belt interlock system may be your problem also. Look over the master cylinder for a orange square with a button at the end to see if your car was equipped. This only apply to part of the '74 model year, I had to research this myself since no one remembered such a short lived bad idea.

So this was the first thing that I checked. Pushing the button yielded no different result. My uncle who was the one that got me so interested in cars came over last night and we took that thing apart. There was a tiny plastic piece that was broken off on the inside which was no allowing the magnetic system work to enable the ignition. I remove the broken piece and tested a few different ways. In the end I bent the little spring down so that it is in constant contact as a rigged up bypass of the system.

In short, it starts now.

I tried to remove the part all together and just use a looped wire and the starter engages immediately when the key is on and not in the start position. When you try to disengage the starter the engine dies. I put it all back together and went to Orielly Auto, but no one there knew anything about the part and could not get. Never even heard of one, which doesn't surprise me as most don't even know what the car is when they see it.

Do yo or does anyone know where to get a replacement or how to get rid of this pesky thing altogether?
driveit
driveit
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by dynchel Sat May 18, 2013 8:25 am

Good luck...I looked a few years ago, obsolete Chevy parts said they had a (1) nos one for $450.00 if I remember correctly. I just disassembled mine and made it contact permanently. Or you could remove the base and try to hard wire it without the relay.
dynchel
dynchel
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 77mali Sat May 18, 2013 8:30 am

Can it be bypassed? My 77 doesn't have one of those (thank Goodness). Sounds like a pain in the butt.
77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 62

Back to top Go down

Post by dynchel Sat May 18, 2013 8:33 am

Only '74, and some '75's. Uncle Sam mandated it but there was such a back lash, they repealed the decision.
dynchel
dynchel
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by driveit Sat May 18, 2013 8:58 am

That's what I am reading. Do you have any diagram or pics of how you wired yours. I would like to get rid of it altogether, but I just want it to work and be safe. Don't want to burn down my beloved!
driveit
driveit
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by dynchel Sat May 18, 2013 9:02 am

I opened up the relay and tweaked point a to always touch point b. It was one of those things I never got back around to messing with.
dynchel
dynchel
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by driveit Sat May 18, 2013 9:05 am

That's what I did. So yours is still working then. That at least gives me some hope that I have done the right thing for now.
driveit
driveit
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by dynchel Sat May 18, 2013 9:08 am

Its been that way for at least 4 years. I ran into the same deer in the headlights look when trying to get a replacement relay. Very Happy
dynchel
dynchel
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by driveit Sat May 18, 2013 9:13 am

Yeah. No one even knew what it was when I went to the parts house.
driveit
driveit
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3