G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I build stuff

+5
Bruisr
Limey SE
thatfnthing
driveit
77mali
9 posters

Go down

I build stuff Empty I build stuff

Post by BicknellWelding Sat May 18, 2013 4:57 pm

It just dawned on me, after responding to another thread about tranny crossmembers. If anyone needs a part fabricated, repaired, duplicated... I can most likely help you. Theres not a very big aftermarket for our cars. And finding them in junkyards is getting even rarer, at least out here. I would be happy to offer my services to the site. I realize shipping is another issue altogether. Any thoughts? Or any ideas of parts we need? mounts, brackets, linkages,...
BicknellWelding
BicknellWelding
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 3

Back to top Go down

I build stuff Empty Re: I build stuff

Post by 77mali Sat May 18, 2013 5:04 pm

I would recommend Phil, he does excellent work.
77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 62

Back to top Go down

Post by carcass Sat May 18, 2013 9:31 pm

I would be more than happy to pay the shipping to support members on this site.

I'm tired of vendors skipping right from 2nd gen to fourth gen and not giving us the attention we deserve. Its total B.S. and it looks llike we're gonna have to fend for ourselves.

So if I bought a Tremec TKO 600 got it in my car with the floor tunnel cut open and measured from the bellhousing back, and the original TH350 trans mount location.

How would a guy get the right dimensions for the height of the tailshaft, the placement of the dual exhaust humps, and the other needed measurements?
carcass
carcass
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 2

Back to top Go down

Post by BicknellWelding Sun May 19, 2013 8:39 pm

77mali wrote:I would recommend Phil, he does excellent work.

Thanks Paul.

As far as getting dimensions. Id start by clamping a straight edge across the frame rails behind the mounts, and pulling all the measurements from it. Probably easier explained over the phone, or in a drawing. I can work on that. Or build a rough mockup from wood. Im sure there's other creative ways. If I ever get freed up, ill get Ethel out and start something.
BicknellWelding
BicknellWelding
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Bruisr Mon May 20, 2013 1:00 pm

That's is good deal, you offering your services, I'll keep that in mind!
Bruisr
Bruisr
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 8

Back to top Go down

Post by carcass Wed May 22, 2013 3:01 am

[img]https://www.g3gm.com/I build stuff Contro12[/img][img]https://www.g3gm.com/I build stuff Contro11[/img]I have been looking at all these aftermarket rear control arms and it seems like most of the companies offer some sort of support rod/bracket that ties the upper control arm mount to the lower control arm mount on the frame, but only for 1st and 2nd gen and then again for fourth gen of course.

I put a factory sway bar with lower arms included into the 76 the other day and was kinda looking at that, and was wondering if it would be worth the effort to tie them together,

Chris Alston's control arms for a 66/67 A body actually have a special long bolt and bracket that sticks out from each control arm mount to tie them together with the said support rod/bracket deal.
carcass
carcass
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by driveit Wed May 22, 2013 8:22 am

Could you do Upper/lower control arms trailing arms drop spindles, anything like that? If so what would be your price on something like that? Just throwing around ideas for the future.
driveit
driveit
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 15

Back to top Go down

Post by BicknellWelding Wed May 22, 2013 9:34 am

[quote="carcass"][img]https://www.g3gm.com/I build stuff Contro12[/img][img]https://www.g3gm.com/I build stuff Contro11[/img]

Can't see the point of these bars. How much flex is there on the same side of the frame, that's technically already tied together. Although they look cool.

As far as front upper and lower a arm... possible, but a huge amount of R&D.
Rears, yes. Just need to machine the ends for bushing.

How closely related is the f-body front suspension? Or for that matter using a front subframe from one?

BicknellWelding
BicknellWelding
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Limey SE Wed May 22, 2013 9:41 am

Some of the front suspension can be used for our cars but a subframe ? why would you cut a full frame to make a subframe ?? kinda defeats the purpose unless I am not understanding your meaning ?
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Street Cred : 98

Back to top Go down

Post by BicknellWelding Wed May 22, 2013 10:13 am

I was thinking more about using the A arm mounts and transfering them to an a-body. Or grafting the front sub onto our style frame. (Like you'd see on old hot rods) Im not even sure of measurements, just wildly throwing ideas out there. What do we share with the F? Kinda thinking about how to get another cars aftermarket parts onto ours.
BicknellWelding
BicknellWelding
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Limey SE Wed May 22, 2013 10:39 am

Sway bar and Links I know for sure ( on mine ) the arms Dan aka BlackchevelleSS had a post going whether they interchange or not from what we found out they do, IIRC Billy-Ray has them on ( May be wrong )
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Back to top Go down

Post by thatfnthing Wed May 22, 2013 11:54 am

If you're really interested in making some parts that members here would definitely buy, here's a good place to start:

https://www.g3gm.com/t6750-swivel-bucket-mounts-and-belts

Maybe someone can spare a set so you can make patterns.
thatfnthing
thatfnthing
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 65

Back to top Go down

Post by BicknellWelding Wed May 22, 2013 12:03 pm

Absolutely, seat brackets, console brackets....
BicknellWelding
BicknellWelding
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Limey SE Wed May 22, 2013 12:15 pm

thatfnthing wrote:If you're really interested in making some parts that members here would definitely buy, here's a good place to start:

https://www.g3gm.com/t6750-swivel-bucket-mounts-and-belts

Maybe someone can spare a set so you can make patterns.

My carpet is NOT tacked down yet I could trace the outline and bolt hole locations ??
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Back to top Go down

Post by Bruisr Wed May 22, 2013 12:26 pm

I need the console bracket for my sons 76 elco. His car didn't come with a console, I now have one to install, but no bracket to attach it to.
Bruisr
Bruisr
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Limey SE Wed May 22, 2013 12:38 pm

I may have that let me look Bruisr Would send to Bickneck to have them made then send to you
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Back to top Go down

Post by Bruisr Wed May 22, 2013 12:45 pm

I still need to purchase a floor shifter to go with the console, so I don't have a time frame of when the install will start. He graduates this weekend, and his 1st thoughts are to paint the car..or upgrade to big and little tires and wheels.
Bruisr
Bruisr
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by carcass Wed May 22, 2013 2:40 pm

It was my understanding that our cars front suspension shares A LOT OF THE COMPONENTS from 70 to 81 camaro, to include upper and lower A Arms, and possibly Spindles, Calipers and Rotors, Inner and outer tie rods.

'

The steering box may be the same, and even the pitman arm and idler arm. The center link is most likely wider and different.

'

If there is no sticky as to the shared front suspension components of third gen A bodies and 1970 to 81 Camaros there should be.
carcass
carcass
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by BicknellWelding Wed May 22, 2013 4:04 pm

So if someone want tubular a arms, couldnt they just buy them for a f-body?
BicknellWelding
BicknellWelding
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by carcass Wed May 22, 2013 4:22 pm

This front suspension thing came from a book called Chevelle Performance Projects by Cole Quinell, I can't confirm all of his info as I've never compared the two suspensions F body and third gen A body, but It warrants a look.

I'm gonna put an excerpt up in a bit, hope it doesnt violate copyright if its just a paragraph or two.
carcass
carcass
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by dynchel Wed May 22, 2013 7:09 pm

My mom has a '76 camaro so I am pretty familiar with the suspension. It looks identical, however I've never took any measurements to know for sure. cyclops
dynchel
dynchel
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 40

Back to top Go down

Post by bigredlaguna Wed May 22, 2013 10:35 pm

The front suspension design on our cars was used in many different vehicles. Astro vans to s-10's, Camaros to Caprices. I wouldn't be surprised if full size pickup parts can be fitted to a Chevelle. I understand that dirt track racers used 1 ton spindles and rotors for the right front for the extra strength.

The piece that is critical for a specific application is the spindle. It determines everything from what bearings and ball joints to use, to rotor size and lug pattern.
bigredlaguna
bigredlaguna
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Street Cred : 53

Back to top Go down

Post by dynchel Thu May 23, 2013 6:45 am

I was told if you want a "donk" lift putting astro van spindles on will lift the front appx 2 inches.
dynchel
dynchel
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 40

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum