G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

If its not one thing its another!!!

+3
thepossumface
Limey SE
driveit
7 posters

Go down

If its not one thing its another!!! Empty If its not one thing its another!!!

Post by Tom77 Tue May 28, 2013 4:31 pm

First time out this year came back and the rear main leaking bad. Anybody done one in the car before?? Don't want to pull the engine.
Tom77
Tom77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 9

Back to top Go down

If its not one thing its another!!! Empty Re: If its not one thing its another!!!

Post by Joe73 Tue May 28, 2013 4:59 pm

I have, twice over the years. Mine is a two piece seal. Here's how I did my two piece. Dont know which you have.

1. Remove distributor cap and lay it alongside the dizzy. No need to take the wires off.
2. Rotate engine to put your timing mark at 6 o'clock. That puts the cranks counterweights up in the block.
3. Remove the two engine mount through bolts. One on each side.
4. Grab a brick or a block of wood about the same thickness of a brick.
5. Put a floor jack, I like to use a smaller sized one, under the harmonic balancer and jack it up. Only need to get it high enough to put the brick or block of wood under the top lip of the engine side motor mount. Lay the brick or block on the frame and lower the engine. Now the motor is resting on the block.
6. Remove pan bolts and pan. Remember to get the right pan gasket set regarding the front timing chain pan seal. GM made a thick and a thin one.
7. Remove oil pump bolt and drop the pump. Good time to change the plastic collar that aligns the oil pump with its drive shaft. Moroso makes an all metal one.
8. Remove rear main cap and there's the seal. The new seal will come with a piece of plastic to guide the upper half into the block.

Do a google search for small block chevy rear main seal. There are some pics there as to where you should put some RTV. Very important to do that.

If you dont want to jack up under the harmonic then you could use an engine hoist or come along from above. But you'll have to remove the hood for that. Your only lifting the engine slightly so you could put the blocks on the frame and allow the engine part of the mount rest on them.

As for the 1 piece rear main seal, you will have to drop the tranny, flexplate/flywheel and get at it that way.

Good luck with it.
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 83

Back to top Go down

If its not one thing its another!!! Empty Re: If its not one thing its another!!!

Post by thepossumface Tue May 28, 2013 7:25 pm

I just bit the bullet and pulled mine once , in and out and new seal in 2-3 hours. it makes life easier and you could clean it while its out, but if you dont have a cherry picker I could see why you dont wanna.
thepossumface
thepossumface
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 1

Back to top Go down

Post by driveit Wed May 29, 2013 7:41 am

Pulling the engine seems easier, if you have a cherry picker!
driveit
driveit
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 15

Back to top Go down

Post by thepossumface Wed May 29, 2013 3:24 pm

yeah true, check your local c.l for one I paid like 75 for a 3 ton one, and it does its work plus more, I use it for my mowers and cars.
But in the end its up to you
thepossumface
thepossumface
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 77mali Wed May 29, 2013 6:26 pm

Ugh...sorry to hear that. All that work for a friggin gasket.

77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 62

Back to top Go down

Post by Tom77 Wed May 29, 2013 7:20 pm

Thanks for the good information. Would like to keep engine in. Don't want to f--- with headers. Anyway to tell if its a one piece or two?
Tom77
Tom77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 77mali Wed May 29, 2013 7:46 pm

This is a one piece
If its not one thing its another!!! P1040810
77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 77mali Wed May 29, 2013 8:32 pm

Here's a better link w/ pic that show the difference. Blocks & cranks are pretty specific to either application. I think some racing company's make an adapter if you need one but it might require to change the oil pan also.

http://www.montecarloss.com/community/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=675984

http://craig.backfire.ca/pages/autos/boxchevy/350/crank-install

http://www.maxchevy.com/tech/2008/iii_5-409-3.html
77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Tom77 Wed May 29, 2013 8:45 pm

You guys are frickin awesome! Hope I did the plus minus bar at the side right. Now the big question for all the marbles. Who wants to do it for me! Just kidding! Thanks again for all the information.
Tom77
Tom77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Limey SE Wed May 29, 2013 8:57 pm

Ghost Rider wrote:LIMEY you are frickin awesome! Now the big question for all the marbles. When can you do it for me!

Bring a Old set of tires for the test session and would be MORE THAN Happy to do it for you !!!!

oh yea Fixed it for you LOL
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Street Cred : 97

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe73 Wed May 29, 2013 9:24 pm

I believe chevy changed to the one piece around 86 or 87. Thats about the time they also changed over to center bolt valve covers.

Jack that baby up under the harmonic and put a block under the motor mounts. You'll have the motor up real quick and easy then just unbolt the pan with an air ratchet and down she comes. Actually pretty easy and quick job. Just remember to torque everything when going back and definitely the RTV on the cap.

Not a bad job at all.
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 77mali Wed May 29, 2013 9:29 pm

Ghost Rider wrote:You guys are frickin awesome! Hope I did the plus minus bar at the side right. Now the big question for all the marbles. Who wants to do it for me! Just kidding! Thanks again for all the information.

I wish some of us were a bit closer together so we could all line up our cars & problems therewith to fix & bang out all these nonsense issues like the A Team on Overhaulin. Laughing

77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by thepossumface Wed May 29, 2013 9:34 pm

77mali wrote:
Ghost Rider wrote:You guys are frickin awesome! Hope I did the plus minus bar at the side right. Now the big question for all the marbles. Who wants to do it for me! Just kidding! Thanks again for all the information.

I wish some of us were a bit closer together so we could all line up our cars & problems therewith to fix & bang out all these nonsense issues like the A Team on Overhaulin. Laughing

I think im with you on that maybe one day when I hit the 40million lotto we can set up something like that for all of us Guna guys, but that is wishful thinking/
thepossumface
thepossumface
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Tom77 Thu May 30, 2013 2:58 pm

Limey SE wrote:
Ghost Rider wrote:LIMEY you are frickin awesome! Now the big question for all the marbles. When can you do it for me!

Bring a Old set of tires for the test session and would be MORE THAN Happy to do it for you !!!!

oh yea Fixed it for you LOL

I'll bring the tires and the liquid refreshment. You send me two cases of oil to get it there! LOL
Tom77
Tom77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Tom77 Sun Jun 09, 2013 5:46 pm

Thanks to all the help from you guys it back together! Still dry for now. One think I have to know from Joe73 how in the heck did you figure out the 6 o'clock thing. You were dead on pan fell off with last bolt. Once again THANKS to all who commented. I used some of all the posts! If we ever all get together first round is on me!!!! Beer
Tom77
Tom77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe73 Sun Jun 09, 2013 6:39 pm

Glad you got it back together. I actually dont remember how I figured that 6 o'clock thing out. First time I did the job on my chevelle was in about 1985 or so. Just something that stuck in my head. Glad it worked out for you.
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 77mali Sun Jun 09, 2013 7:22 pm

Good- now you can cruise & not leave a trail. Very Happy
77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Bruisr Mon Jun 10, 2013 7:20 pm

He's not leaving a trail! That's sweat from all that horsepower, that's what I used to tell people when my 454 leaked oil! LOL!!!
Bruisr
Bruisr
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 8

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down