G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

74 Chevelle Awesome Car Bad Tow Truck!

4 posters

Go down

74 Chevelle  Awesome Car Bad Tow Truck! Empty 74 Chevelle Awesome Car Bad Tow Truck!

Post by driveit Mon Dec 23, 2013 10:31 am

Yesterday my wifes car got stuck in the front yard when we were leaving for church. I had moved it there the night before. There are dead tree limbs above where we park and the weather was getting bad. I think she may have gunned it a little too hard on the start no thinking she would have any trouble. She buried it about 6 inches. I tried and tried to push it out, but couldn't. I had no chain or tow rope. All I had was some flat tv cable, which repeatedly broke. on every try to pull. I loaded her and the kids in the Chevelle went to church. I forgot that my windshield leaks on the passenger side and my wife's dress was soaked by the time we made it there.

After church I borrowed a chain from my uncle. I hooked the car once again to my 74 makeshift tow truck. The chain was too short and I had to back up the hill in the yard where to even make it reach. By the time the chain would reach I was in the mud too and couldn't pull her at all. Now I was unable to back up to even remove the chain as the chain was tight.

I called in reinforcements in the form of a friend from church who offered his services. His family was on their way to go get something to eat and were passing our house. They decided it would be best to try and push it out at this point. We got it out and at that same time I slipped and fell, hitting my head on the car and landing in the mud.

It was an adventure for sure. As I said in the title of this topic, 74 Chevelle, awesome car, bad tow truck!
driveit
driveit
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 15

Back to top Go down

74 Chevelle  Awesome Car Bad Tow Truck! Empty Re: 74 Chevelle Awesome Car Bad Tow Truck!

Post by dynchel Mon Dec 23, 2013 10:42 am

lol, is your head ok?  While pushing a car into the building (a few years ago)  a coworker slipped on the ice and when face first into the bumper....It was hard not to laugh until we knew he was ok.  He was fine. santa
dynchel
dynchel
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 40

Back to top Go down

74 Chevelle  Awesome Car Bad Tow Truck! Empty Re: 74 Chevelle Awesome Car Bad Tow Truck!

Post by driveit Mon Dec 23, 2013 10:47 am

Yeah, not even a bump. Thanks for ask'in.
driveit
driveit
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 1973montec Mon Dec 23, 2013 1:49 pm

glad your OK.

i remember chris used his 74 monte as a back hoe once. he wrapped the chain around the bushes in his front yard and the other end to his rear bumper and yanked. cheers
1973montec
1973montec
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 17

Back to top Go down

Post by driveit Mon Dec 23, 2013 3:34 pm

If it works, it works. In my case. It didn't work.
driveit
driveit
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by dynchel Mon Dec 23, 2013 4:57 pm

I once pushed my brothers '75 lesabre about a half mile with the front bumper of my '74. (we used old tires to cushion it) It worked fine that way.  This obviously was bufore the bumper was gutted and tucked. happy bowtie
dynchel
dynchel
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 40

Back to top Go down

Post by driveit Tue Dec 24, 2013 10:45 am

We have done that before too.
driveit
driveit
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by texan01 Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:44 pm

been there, done that. my 76 and my 77 do allright on pavement.

texan01
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 6

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down