G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Has anyone modified front seat for more room ?

+3
magic marouke
driveit
1973montec
7 posters

Go down

Has anyone modified front seat for more room ?  Empty Has anyone modified front seat for more room ?

Post by magic marouke Wed Jan 29, 2014 1:37 am

Ever since I bought my Monte Carlo I'm surprised at
How small it is inside . Especially getting in and out and the actual amount of
Leg room there isn't once I'm in . I don't have a tilt column so was wondering if
Anyone else bigger than me modified a bench seat for a G3 to slide further back for more leg room and what
You did . I'm 5,11" and slim build so can't imagine
How anyone bigger than me gets on .

Anyone. ?
magic marouke
magic marouke
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 3

Back to top Go down

Has anyone modified front seat for more room ?  Empty Re: Has anyone modified front seat for more room ?

Post by 1973montec Wed Jan 29, 2014 7:56 am

ive noticed that buckets go back farther and give you more room.

but also a tilt is a very nice feature to get in and out.
1973montec
1973montec
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 17

Back to top Go down

Has anyone modified front seat for more room ?  Empty Re: Has anyone modified front seat for more room ?

Post by magic marouke Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:40 am

Not a fan of buckets . Will probably look at a bench seat off a car first to see if I can mess with it before I take mine out
magic marouke
magic marouke
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by driveit Wed Jan 29, 2014 1:21 pm

Mine is a 74 Chevelle, I am 5'8" and knocking on 300 lbs. I have plenty of room. Not sure if there is a difference in the seats or just the positioning between the two cars. Of course you are a bit taller than myself.
driveit
driveit
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 15

Back to top Go down

Post by dynchel Wed Jan 29, 2014 1:43 pm

magic marouke wrote:Not a fan of buckets . Will probably look at a bench seat off a car first to see if I can mess with it before I take mine out
The problem i see with that is the rear outboard legs on the seat sit on top of the seat belt retractor, thus making moving the mounting points alot more difficult.
dynchel
dynchel
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 40

Back to top Go down

Post by magic marouke Wed Jan 29, 2014 2:33 pm

dynchel wrote:
magic marouke wrote:Not a fan of buckets . Will probably look at a bench seat off a car first to see if I can mess with it before I take mine out
The problem i see with that is the rear outboard legs on the seat sit on top of the seat belt retractor, thus making moving the mounting points alot more difficult.

That's just what I thought . If it's not very do-able
I'll just live with it
magic marouke
magic marouke
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by driveit Wed Jan 29, 2014 3:44 pm

dynchel wrote:

I despise that too. Wish they would have done that differently.

I am wanting to put buckets in mine and put in some new belts. I cannot find an exact replacement for the 74 front belts.
driveit
driveit
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 15

Back to top Go down

Post by magic marouke Wed Jan 29, 2014 6:40 pm

I am wanting to put buckets in mine and put in some new belts.  I cannot find an exact replacement for the 74 front belts.[/quote]

Well good luck . There's so many variations of seat belt set ups . the bast
Way if you can find them is a junker . That way you can see and compare for yourself
magic marouke
magic marouke
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by dynchel Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:35 pm

My '74 has retrofitted '76 cutlass bucket seats. I'm 6'2" 260 lbs, and I have plenty of room. When I was younger, say about '92, I had a '77 regal beater, and a '73 monte Carlo,(parts car) both with bench seats, and I don't really remember them being "cramped". Maybe you could try putting in a tilt column....
dynchel
dynchel
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by magic marouke Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:36 am

I have been driving only pick ups for the last 15 years or so which have plenty of room , guess I'm just been used to all that leg room over the years
magic marouke
magic marouke
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by WyldeBill66 Thu Jan 30, 2014 9:48 pm

I'm 6' tall, and I used to own a 74 Monte Carlo and now own a 75 Chevelle. I'm all legs and don't feel cramped at all. I don't even have the seat all the way back either. I'm only 196 lbs, so I'm pretty slim too. You must just be spoiled by the leg room of a truck.

WyldeBill66
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by alive 75 Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:14 pm

Magic marouke,,, I'm with you on this one, I'm 6 ft 220 ,, no tilt wheel and i wish my seat went farther back,, i feel like the steering wheel is in my chest,, when the weather gets warm i am going to try and re bolt my seat a few inches back if possible

Last edited by alive 75 on Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
alive 75
alive 75
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by dynchel Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:19 pm

[quote="dynchel"

The problem i see with that is the rear outboard legs on the seat sit on top of the seat belt retractor, thus making moving the mounting points alot more difficult.[/quote]----------You will still have this problem to deal with...
dynchel
dynchel
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by WyldeBill66 Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:23 pm

I don't actually have a problem with my car. I'm quite comfortable, but then again I'm used to cars and have never owned a truck.

WyldeBill66
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by alive 75 Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:44 pm

opps i meant that for magic marouke
alive 75
alive 75
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by Pontichev327 Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:49 pm

I have not felt too close in the bench seat car I have, but my passengers have complained about the swivel buckets being too close on that side. My research turned up some brackets for moving Camaro seats back, but they Do bolt directly to the floor, not the seat belts.
Pontichev327
Pontichev327
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 7

Back to top Go down

Post by WyldeBill66 Thu Jan 30, 2014 11:07 pm

Oh...laughs...I was wondering...

WyldeBill66
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down