G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

LS engines...

+5
Brainstain
ant7377
thatfnthing
BlackChevelleSS
driveit
9 posters

Go down

LS engines... Empty LS engines...

Post by pila Thu Apr 17, 2014 4:56 pm

From what I've been reading on a few forums, the LS engines are a real power house, and I assume that's with all the electronics with it.
Anyone running those without all the electronics ?? Or are the electronics the key to all the power ??

pila
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 43

Back to top Go down

LS engines... Empty Re: LS engines...

Post by Wallyuph Thu Apr 17, 2014 5:01 pm

pila wrote:From what I've been reading on a few forums, the LS engines are a real power house, and I assume that's with all the electronics with it.
 Anyone running those without all the electronics ??  Or are the electronics the key to all the power ??

Why not run the electronics so you cab get the most benefit out of it?
Wallyuph
Wallyuph
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 31

Back to top Go down

Post by 77mali Thu Apr 17, 2014 5:04 pm

It's a definite plus as well as the modern fuel injection systems & air plenums.  The cathedral ports in the heads are also excellent for air/fuel mix & flow as well.  I know I'm envious of all the LS' being run by some of the boys on here.
77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 62

Back to top Go down

Post by driveit Thu Apr 17, 2014 5:05 pm

I am scared and ignorant when it comes to automotive electronics and such.
driveit
driveit
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 15

Back to top Go down

Post by thatfnthing Thu Apr 17, 2014 5:13 pm

77mali wrote:It's a definite plus as well as the modern fuel injection systems & air plenums.  The cathedral ports in the heads are also excellent for air/fuel mix & flow as well.  I know I'm envious of all the LS' being run by some of the boys on here.

While I love my TPI, I must also admit to a little envy of those as well.  Everything about that motor is a complete redesign from all that had come before, not just the electronics, and I wouldn't mind having one of my own.

But if the electronics are a problem, aftermarket companies are already producing carb manifolds and such for them.
thatfnthing
thatfnthing
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 65

Back to top Go down

Post by 77mali Thu Apr 17, 2014 5:22 pm

thatfnthing wrote:
77mali wrote:It's a definite plus as well as the modern fuel injection systems & air plenums.  The cathedral ports in the heads are also excellent for air/fuel mix & flow as well.  I know I'm envious of all the LS' being run by some of the boys on here.

While I love my TPI, I must also admit to a little envy of those as well.  Everything about that motor is a complete redesign from all that had come before, not just the electronics, and I wouldn't mind having one of my own.

But if the electronics are a problem, aftermarket companies are already producing carb manifolds and such for them.

G3nut (another member here) is in my area and he did the LS upgrade with a 6 speed out of an 02 Camaro (think it was 02).  It's a pretty sick set up. When I saw the car in person I was like  Leg Hump  

He had to cut & weld a notch in the crossmember for the oil pan I think but other than that he said it wasn't too hard a swap.  The LS motors look & fit great in the big G3 engine bays.
77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by BlackChevelleSS Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:59 pm

they sell muscle car pans to make it easy. Im doing an ls swap in a 72 truck now

LS engines... SIG2
BlackChevelleSS
BlackChevelleSS
Management
Management

Street Cred : 20

Back to top Go down

Post by thatfnthing Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:40 am

driveit wrote:I am scared and ignorant when it comes to automotive electronics and such.

If you don't already know it, learn plumbing.  Seriously.

Electricity behaves just like water, and the fixtures/devices all have equivalents:

•  check valve = diode
•  faucet = rheostat
•  pressure regulator = resistor
•  etc.

Since you can "see" water and work with it hands on, it's easier to learn the skills that will directly carry over to working with electrical.  Then you can look at the wiring schematic like a plumbing diagram, only the pipes are color coded.  Your job is not to build all the fancy electronic gadgets like computers and stuff -- someone else has already done that heavy lifting.  Your job is simply to make sure the "water" flows to the right places in the right amount (amps) and pressure (volts).

And as a bonus you'll be able to fix the plumbing in your house when the wife complains. Smile
thatfnthing
thatfnthing
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Wallyuph Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:54 am

thatfnthing wrote:
driveit wrote:I am scared and ignorant when it comes to automotive electronics and such.

If you don't already know it, learn plumbing.  Seriously.

Electricity behaves just like water, and the fixtures/devices all have equivalents:

•  check valve = diode
•  faucet = rheostat
•  pressure regulator = resistor
•  etc.

Since you can "see" water and work with it hands on, it's easier to learn the skills that will directly carry over to working with electrical.  Then you can look at the wiring schematic like a plumbing diagram, only the pipes are color coded.  Your job is not to build all the fancy electronic gadgets like computers and stuff -- someone else has already done that heavy lifting.  Your job is simply to make sure the "water" flows to the right places in the right amount (amps) and pressure (volts).

And as a bonus you'll be able to fix the plumbing in your house when the wife complains. Smile

Well put I gave you street cred for that one!!!!!
Wallyuph
Wallyuph
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by thatfnthing Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:14 am

Thanks, Wally! I knew my caffeine would be good for something this morning! Smile
thatfnthing
thatfnthing
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by pila Fri Apr 18, 2014 11:01 pm

I'm not afraid of the electronics, and I suppose that harness etc could come from the donor vehicle that the engine comes from.

pila
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 77mali Sat Apr 19, 2014 7:11 am

BlackChevelleSS wrote:they sell muscle car pans to make it easy. Im doing an ls swap in a 72 truck now

Who makes them?
77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Wallyuph Sat Apr 19, 2014 9:09 am

This is the least expensive pan I have found $ 250.00 plus shipping. It's om my engine that will be going in my 73 shortly.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/221290787893?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

LS engines... <a href=LS engines... Low_pr10" />
Wallyuph
Wallyuph
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 77mali Sat Apr 19, 2014 2:54 pm

Wow, these motors really are a lot different. Never seen an oil filter housing built into a pan, that's neat. Thanks for posting. Maybe someday I'll go for it too.
77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by pila Sun Apr 20, 2014 8:41 pm

It's the first time I've seen an LS pan, and being a casting, I can see why it's not cheap.

pila
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Brainstain Sat Apr 26, 2014 5:18 pm

I have a few going into different projects. My 5.3 is getting carbed for now and going in my wagon. It's as simple as any other carb intake and MSD box install. Personally I am selling all of my factory wiring harnesses and buying a harness made from a local company. $400 and it's a simple harness with all the correct plugs and only the ones you need. A factory harness is messy and a pain to sort through.

Brainstain
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 8

Back to top Go down

Post by ant7377 Sat Apr 26, 2014 6:12 pm

My buddy is just finishing up installing one in his 64 Buick . The motor is from a 2008 Corvette and its hooked to a th 350 . He did a nice install and its the stock EFI. Car should run like a bear.
ant7377
ant7377
G3GM Addict
G3GM Addict

Street Cred : 36

Back to top Go down

Post by pila Sat Apr 26, 2014 8:11 pm

So, how many sizes are the LS engines built in ?  I know the 5.3 seems common.  Thought I saw a smaller one, like 4.XX etc.

I believe the aluminum castings for those are made here in town....at the Power Train plant...

pila
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 77mali Sat Apr 26, 2014 8:22 pm

There is an "LS-X" 454 GM Performance motor & Now an "R" version. Go to this link & "check" LS & LS-X in the selections.
http://www.chevrolet.com/performance/crate-engines.html
77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Brainstain Sun Apr 27, 2014 12:59 am

4.8,5.3,5.7,6.0,6.2,7.0 and the LSX is a 454.

Brainstain
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 8

Back to top Go down

Post by dynchel Sun Apr 27, 2014 7:40 am

pila wrote:So, how many sizes are the LS engines built in ?  I know the 5.3 seems common.  Thought I saw a smaller one, like 4.XX etc.

I believe the aluminum castings for those are made here in town....at the Power Train plant...
There is a 4.8, 5.3, & 6.0.
dynchel
dynchel
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 40

Back to top Go down

Post by 77mali Mon Apr 28, 2014 7:03 pm

Thought you might like this Bill. Especially being a Military-man.

LS-X Willy's Jeep (on & off the bottle)
77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by pila Tue Apr 29, 2014 3:38 am

Cool Jeep !! I personally never liked the military Jeeps, but they did the job OK.
So which LS is the LSX ? The biggest one ?

pila
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 77mali Tue Apr 29, 2014 7:40 am

The off the shelf LS-X is a 454. ($12 grand).
77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Wallyuph Thu May 15, 2014 9:21 am

Wallyuph wrote:This is the least expensive pan I have found $ 250.00 plus shipping. It's om my engine that will be going in my 73 shortly.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/221290787893?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

LS engines... <a href=LS engines... Low_pr10" />

FYI the pan shown above did not fit it hit the cross member and was up against fire wall so I had to order the Holley LS retro-fit pan.

Its the last pan listed on bottom of this page I finally found a page that list's all pans available

http://www.improvedracing.com/LS-oil-pan-dimensions.php

LS engines... <a href=LS engines... Ls_oil10" />
Wallyuph
Wallyuph
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down