G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Trunk Paint

3 posters

Go down

Trunk Paint Empty Trunk Paint

Post by Mcarlo77 Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:54 pm

Looking for some testimonials or recommendations for painting my trunk. Not doing the custom thing...just want it to look somewhat original. I see Rustoleum, Eastwood, Dupli-color all have spatter paints. I've read some spatter paints are water based and require special treatment to maintain. Started the cleanup of the trunk pans 1 1/2 yrs ago and now it's time to finish the job.
Mcarlo77
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 77

Back to top Go down

Trunk Paint Empty Re: Trunk Paint

Post by 77mali Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:35 pm

Duplicolor & SEM Paints make the factory style trunk paints, as does Rustoleum.  Haven't used it (spatter-paint) myself but have used lots of Duplicolor products & they make a quality product.  I like SEM paint as well, maybe a bit more even but I hate their nozzles & can't control the spray as good as the Duplicolor cans.  Use a good primer too & remember that surface prep is key to a successful (and good looking) paint job.  Laughing 

Myself, I like to use POR15 over any corrosion if there is anything serious.  They also have a 'Tie-coat' primer, it bonds into the Por15 without you having to lightly scuff it & won't potentially hurt it like an off the shelf 'self-etching' primer might.  You can use any topcoat you want over the tie-coat as a finish.  FYI.

I've never used Eastwood (yet) but lot's of people say they make great products also.  Good luck- post up some pics of that bad-boy when you're done!
77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 62

Back to top Go down

Post by chevellelaguna Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:39 pm

People that have used Eastwood complained of poor coverage especially with their black spatter over grey primer. Depends on what color you want it to be.
chevellelaguna
chevellelaguna
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 16

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down