G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Factory Console install

+2
Limey SE
JiMi_DRiX
6 posters

Go down

Factory Console install Empty Factory Console install

Post by SSTOOLMAN Wed Jun 25, 2014 3:31 pm

I am on Vacation next week I am pulling my aftermarket B&M ratchet shifter out and putting an original 73 console back in the car. I have the correct shifter and
there are factory mounting brackets ready to use under my carpet. I wanted to know if  I should cut my new carpet (I installed last summer)  to expose
the mounts? or just bolt it in with out cutting the carpet??? Any fitment issues with that? Anyone know what they did from the factory? I will probably pull my swivels out first to make room: I am also changing the heater core and installing gauges at the same time.
SSTOOLMAN
SSTOOLMAN
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 7

Back to top Go down

Factory Console install Empty Re: Factory Console install

Post by JiMi_DRiX Wed Jun 25, 2014 4:34 pm

I cut out just around the mounts if I remember correctly.
JiMi_DRiX
JiMi_DRiX
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 3

Back to top Go down

Post by Limey SE Thu Jun 26, 2014 1:32 am

SSTOOLMAN wrote:I am on Vacation next week I am pulling my aftermarket B&M ratchet shifter out and putting an original 73 console back in.

Why not just still use the B&M shifter it will fit in the console with hardly any if any mods ? I did it with my 76 Cutlass and looked sweet.
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Street Cred : 98

Back to top Go down

Post by SSTOOLMAN Thu Jun 26, 2014 8:51 am

Limey wrote:
SSTOOLMAN wrote:I am on Vacation next week I am pulling my aftermarket B&M ratchet shifter out and putting an original 73 console back in.

Why not just still use the B&M shifter it will fit in the console with hardly any if any mods ? I did it with my 76 Cutlass and looked sweet.

I don't know which B&M you had but mine is way taller than the console will allow, I would have to raise it 2 inches to look right. The throw is also longer, when you put it in the Bump mode, it brings the handle 3" back from the low position. I
would have to have to cut the console back at least 2" past the shifter plate.  I have a near perfect 73 console and cant bring myself to cut it up and modify it.
If I had a POS I didn't care about I would carve away.
SSTOOLMAN
SSTOOLMAN
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 7

Back to top Go down

Post by dynchel Thu Jun 26, 2014 10:16 am

Factory Console install IMG_20140428_130914772_zpsjoc4z9qq
This is the what I did, there is a Hurst dual gate hidden under there.

Factory Console install IMG_20130909_084727_300_zpsd1fbb366
Here it is prior to paint.
dynchel
dynchel
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 40

Back to top Go down

Post by driveit Thu Jun 26, 2014 12:31 pm

Thats cool. It looks really nice in black.
driveit
driveit
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 15

Back to top Go down

Post by Dinomyte Wed Jul 30, 2014 5:16 pm

Any time I've done this especially on exposed mounts I've cut the carpet usually in an H pattern so I've got two flaps and can bolt up to the bracket, with out carpet in the way, and then push the two flaps back to hide things. Just be mindful of what you cut so you don't end up with a flap behind the bracket that you can't use or a flap that's too big.

I use a tailor's crayon, it's like chalk to mark things out, it comes off with vacuuming.
Dinomyte
Dinomyte
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 11

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down