G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

late model rear ends

5 posters

Go down

late model rear ends Empty late model rear ends

Post by bitterfitter Mon Sep 29, 2014 4:56 pm

I know this has been covered in the past, but I need a couple questions answered. I have a rear end out of a 1995 impala police ar. I checked through the posi unit and installed 3:42 gears. I had this installed in my '73 so I am familiar with the different size bolts and bushings. My question is with drilling the axles for 4 3/4" bolt patterns. If I pull the axles and have them drilled, what do I do with the rotors? They fit over the studs if I remember correctly. Also how does the parking brake connect up? I have the rear cables from the impala but I dont think I ever figured out how to make these work together?
I am thinking of sticking this in my '74 over the winter as it is just sitting since I got rid of the '73.

bitterfitter
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 9

Back to top Go down

late model rear ends Empty Re: late model rear ends

Post by dynchel Mon Sep 29, 2014 6:02 pm

Maybe camaro rotors will work?
dynchel
dynchel
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 40

Back to top Go down

Post by Wallyuph Mon Sep 29, 2014 6:59 pm

bitterfitter wrote:I know this has been covered in the past, but I need a couple questions answered.  I have a rear end out of a 1995 impala police ar.  I checked through the posi unit and installed 3:42 gears.  I had this installed in my '73 so I am familiar with the different size bolts and bushings.  My question is with drilling the axles for 4 3/4" bolt patterns.  If I pull the axles and have them drilled, what do I do with the rotors?  They fit over the studs if I remember correctly.  Also how does the parking brake connect up?  I have the rear cables from the impala but I dont think I ever figured out how to make these work together?
 I am thinking of sticking this in my '74 over the winter as it is just sitting since I got rid of the '73.

On my laguna I have a 95 Impala rear end but its 5 on 5 bolt pattern. The E break is inside the rotor like a inside the hat area. I have the cables coming out but not hooked up yet to the cables that were stock from the 74 itself.

I used this kit to put in all new shoes for E break.
[url=[url=https://servimg.com/view/17248508/404]late model rear ends Park_b10
Wallyuph
Wallyuph
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 31

Back to top Go down

Post by brownbomber77 Mon Sep 29, 2014 7:21 pm

There's a guy on here that used the stock impala cables and then finaggled something where the factory cable hooks to the rear cables. The rotors...just match up a 4.75 bolt pattern to the rotors and drill. They don't need the precision that the axles do since they're hub centric on the axle and also clamped down between the wheel. The ones I drill usually have less than an 1.8 inch of play on the stud but are still centered due to the hub.

brownbomber77
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 4

Back to top Go down

Post by brownbomber77 Mon Sep 29, 2014 7:23 pm

Camaro rotors will NOT work because they have an external E brake.

brownbomber77
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by bitterfitter Mon Sep 29, 2014 7:32 pm

So at least for the rotors; they need to be drilled also. And if I ever have to change rotors I will have to drill them again.

Now I just need to figure out exactly how to hook up the e brake cables and I am all set.

bitterfitter
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by brownbomber77 Sat Oct 04, 2014 8:36 pm

That's correct on the rotors, doesn't take much time since the accuracy doesn't have to be there...plus...how often do you change rear rotors? His suggestion was to get the rear cables, that way you have the rectangle attachment to the parking brake and then weld or use cable clamps to attach them to the factory stuff.

brownbomber77
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by bitterfitter Sat Oct 04, 2014 9:43 pm

I will have to look into this. What are the chances of me doing this myself? Drill the axles, that is. Maybe clamp a rim over the axles with the studs removed to get the pattern? Just hate to have to pull the axles again.

bitterfitter
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by brownbomber77 Sat Oct 04, 2014 10:01 pm

Or....find a set of 89-90 Caprice only axles. They're 30 spline and 4.75 bolt pattern. New they're $100 a piece from various vendors. That's probably the best and cheapest way, machine shops may or may not want more. Other alternative is using a tool I bought a while ago. You can rent it from me for $30 and leave the axles in to drill or buy one from the guy for $108. Oh, or try using a drum if you knock the studs out. You need to make a template with something hub centric.

brownbomber77
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Wallyuph Sun Oct 05, 2014 9:33 am

Could you use one of these and put it on the 5x5 stud and then mark your 4x3/4 holes to drill them?

[url=[url=https://servimg.com/view/17248508/412]late model rear ends Bolt_p10
Wallyuph
Wallyuph
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by bitterfitter Sun Oct 05, 2014 1:28 pm

Yes please on that pattern thing. What is it called and where can I get one?

bitterfitter
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by brownbomber77 Sun Oct 05, 2014 2:28 pm

Here's the PM I dug up from the guy who helped me with the parking brake issue...

As for the brake cables when you get the impala rearend try to.get the e brake cables too it just saves time. What you do is you heat up the end where that fitting is that clips into you frame rails and twist the end off you old brake cables. After you do that measure out the impala brake cables and cut each one so that they will go to the factory location of your car. After you have them cut you take that metal piece and twist it back onto the new cable u just cut. What I like to do is take the actual cable and pull it into the plastic covering a bit so that its not affected by the heat or cutting until I get the metal end mounts installed. After I have the cables in the car I go ahead and cut the actual cable inside the plastic sheath to length. Then after your ready to install them buy 2 cable stops ,barrel nut, from any automotive store.adjust them and you will have an amazing set of brakes. An I guarantee you will feel a difference. And on the factory proportioning valve I drove around with the original for about 6 months before I chmged it and didn't have any problems but if you plan on going racing soon I would change it out before then

brownbomber77
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Wallyuph Sun Oct 05, 2014 7:26 pm

bitterfitter wrote:Yes please on that pattern thing.  What is it called and where can I get one?

Tool guy at any car show swap meet its a bolt pattern guide its less then 5 bucks.
Wallyuph
Wallyuph
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by driveit Mon Oct 06, 2014 12:13 pm

Here ya go.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/mfy-8021392/overview/
late model rear ends Mfy-8021392_ml
late model rear ends Mfy-8021392_sn_ml
driveit
driveit
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 15

Back to top Go down

Post by Wallyuph Mon Oct 06, 2014 7:27 pm

Really handy if you are buying rims from some one also.
Wallyuph
Wallyuph
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by brownbomber77 Tue Oct 07, 2014 11:02 am

Oh, hey, it's you who gave me all that info about the Impala rear axle...haha This is the guy who slipped an Impala disc brake rear end under his car and hooked up the e-brake cables.

brownbomber77
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down