G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

mix and match front and rear ends

2 posters

Go down

mix and match front and rear ends Empty mix and match front and rear ends

Post by marx3 Wed Apr 20, 2016 2:30 pm

I have two 1975 Monte Carlos, but like the 74 taillights the best. I really like the round headlights, but ain't so big on the 73-75 front grille / center piece. I like the 76 front grill best.
Can I put 74 taillights and a 76 grill / center piece on my 75 car?

I guess the housing for the round headlights and the square headlights has the same size and shape?
I know there is a difference in the trim on the rear centerpeice. Do I need both the taillights and the center piece, to convert my 75 rear to a 74 rear?
marx3
marx3
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 1

Back to top Go down

mix and match front and rear ends Empty Re: mix and match front and rear ends

Post by marx3 Fri Apr 22, 2016 5:24 pm

nobody ever put round headlights together with a 76-77 front grill?
marx3
marx3
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Mcarlo77 Sat Apr 23, 2016 5:02 pm

I didn't answer prior because I wasn't 100% sure. However, after being out at the salvage yard today and trying to fit a '75 single headlight housing to a '76 quad header panel, I am now able to confirm they don't work well together. Primarily, because only one of the four mtg holes (upper one) between the two parts line up with each other. And, although far less an issue, the corner of the bumper filler under the single headlight interferes with the two parts lining up with each other.
Mcarlo77
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 77

Back to top Go down

Post by marx3 Sat Apr 23, 2016 5:12 pm

thanks for taking the time! Does this mean that the housing for the single headlight has the same outer shape as the 76-77 housings, but the header panel mounts differently?
If I am not mistaken, the 73-75 panels is like an upper half only, with the plastic chrome grille covering the lower part. 76-7 are kinda like a 1 piece full panel. Are you able to hold a round headlight up against a 76-77 header panel and snap a picture? I would really like to see if it looks stupid, before spending money on a 76-77 header panel.
marx3
marx3
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Mcarlo77 Sat Apr 23, 2016 5:23 pm

I tried holding the two together, but the corner of the bumper filler interfered with getting them lined up...and, I had run out of time (place closes at 1:00 p.m. on Saturdays) to spend any more time removing the bumper filler.  Maybe next visit.

Here's a pic of the backside holding the two together.  The mtg peg on the far left is the upper one and it lined up.  I also noticed the contours at the top seemed to mate together well when I held them together. And yes, the '76/'77 header panel is a full panel.

mix and match front and rear ends Pics0411
Mcarlo77
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by marx3 Sat Apr 23, 2016 5:27 pm

Thanks for the effort! I can see what you mean. It will take some customizing, to get those attached to each other. Well, I will see if I can get a hold of a 76-77 header panel and try for myself. I just have a feeling the light housings are exactly the same shape and size, the only difference in appearance being the shape of the light it self.
marx3
marx3
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Mcarlo77 Wed Apr 27, 2016 4:03 pm

Back out there and did some further trial fitting.

mix and match front and rear ends 74head11

mix and match front and rear ends 74head10

mix and match front and rear ends 74head12

Notice the bottom of the '75 headlight housing is higher than the '76 header panel? Also, second pic shows a poor fit along the sides where the two mate. I was only able to fasten the very top bolt as the other three didn't line up. Not even sure that bolt was in same exact location as the view from the top on the third pic shows uneven alignment. Still, I just got the impression these were just not mating up well together.
Mcarlo77
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by marx3 Wed Apr 27, 2016 4:37 pm

Wow very nice job! Thanks a lot for this!
I see what you mean about the lines not matching up perfectly. By googling a bit, it becomes clear, that the square headlights are taller than the round and the bumper filler itself is also pre- and post 76 specific.
I have doubt as to wether it would even look cool to mate a round headlight with the 3 bar grill of a 77.

Last edited by marx3 on Wed Apr 27, 2016 4:40 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Left out detail)
marx3
marx3
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down