G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

We were talking about "collectibilty" and G3s...

+8
marks454ss
Shaunaconda
chevellelaguna
77mali
Joe73
Dinomyte
pila
jerry46765
12 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

We were talking about "collectibilty" and G3s... Empty We were talking about "collectibilty" and G3s...

Post by Roadcaptain S3 Sun Nov 09, 2014 9:43 pm

So just for giggles I got on Ebay today and looked at COMPLETED listing for a few G3s.
The following is what they SOLD for.
Chevelle/Malibu
1. 73 Chevelle SS about an 8 out of 10, minor mods...$22,750
2. 73 Chevelle SS blown small block, good condition...$22,001
3. 76 and 75 Lagunas, rough to moderate condition...$3100, $2100
4 73 SS, stock good condition...10K
Several had fairly high bids but didn't meet reserves...6-15k

A lot of Montes went in the 2-3k range with some around 5 and a few in the 7-11k range. None of these were 454 cars.

Regals were in the 2-4k range with on 100,000 mile 77 going for $10,900

Cutlass- A few went for less than 3k, most were in the 6-8k range
1974 Hurst...$23,900
77 Cutlass S, 20,000 miles...$22,000
76 Salon Coupe...10,000 miles...$20,600
Somebody stole a nice 74 Hurst W-30 for $5500
A few more were bid up in the 8-10k range but didn't meet reserves

Lemans/Grand Am
Lemans, only a couple...around 1-2k for moderate conditions
Grand Ams, one nice one for 9k, another nice one for 8k
1977 Can Am $9,099
1973 GTO was up for 10k, no bids

Roadcaptain S3
Roadcaptain S3
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 26

Back to top Go down

We were talking about "collectibilty" and G3s... Empty Re: We were talking about "collectibilty" and G3s...

Post by chevellelaguna Sun Nov 09, 2014 10:27 pm

Theres no doubt that the rarer models being the most money, GTO, Hurst, etc. I remember when I could buy any plain jane 73-77 a body for $100, those days are looking gone. It all comes down to how badly someone wants that car. They are no doubt becoming collectible. Who knows what will happen ten years from now.... When there are even fewer cars left out there. A part of me is kinda upset that they are going up in price and popularity. I like to think that I was part of the movement back in the late 80's-90's when most people had 64-72 chevelles, and didn't care about our cars. I cared.... I built mine when not many others did. I didn't have a ton of money, there were no parts suppliers like there are now, no support. You just did it, worked with what you had... Or could make. I'm glad I have my S3...when it'll be done at least I'll think it's cool, kinda keep the 70's alive.
chevellelaguna
chevellelaguna
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 16

Back to top Go down

We were talking about "collectibilty" and G3s... Empty Re: We were talking about "collectibilty" and G3s...

Post by Roadcaptain S3 Sun Nov 09, 2014 10:44 pm

I'm with you. I bought my 74 in 1984 for the ridiculously expensive price of 1200. A lot of moola for a guy making 3.35 an hour. I might have bought a 64-72, but they were already selling for twice what I paid. I fell in love with it and kept it until 91...sold it because I thought I needed a "grown up's" car at the ripe old age of 21. Tried to get it back a month later. Guy wouldn't cough it up.

It's the nature of cars that they will eventually become more popular as time goes by. Everybody either wants their first car back or the one they wanted but couldn't have as a youngster. Those of us that had 70's cars as kids are getting to the age where we have the time and the money to get them.  The demand will drive prices up. A few years ago you could find a 77 TA in good shape for pretty cheap, now some are selling for 100k. Hell even "Counting Cars" is doing more than a few 70s cars. Even redid one of those Chevy vans with a wizard on it or some $hi

It'll get worse. In a few years, guys will buy a plain jane to clone it to an SS or an S3, and we'll be shaking our heads and wondering what the hell happened.

On a side note, the older guys with the 64-72 cars are REALLY gonnabe scratching their heads then.
Roadcaptain S3
Roadcaptain S3
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by chevellelaguna Sun Nov 09, 2014 11:42 pm

I bought my 76 Laguna in '92 for $325, all it really needed was a carb rebuild and some ball joints, was basically a running driving car ready to go. I saw TA's all over the place ...no one wanted them. You're correct on all points.
chevellelaguna
chevellelaguna
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by jerry46765 Mon Nov 10, 2014 2:08 am

I do the same thing. Ebay is like TV, fun to watch but participation must be painful. Amazingly, cars sell and then two months later, the same car will be relisted by the original seller. There are lots of shoppers but not many buyers.

As for the G3 Chevelle world, '73 SS and big blocks have been the high water marks which make sense. The S3 hasn't really taken off.

Thanks -

jerry46765
jerry46765
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 20

Back to top Go down

Post by jerry46765 Mon Nov 10, 2014 2:16 am

Forgot, some of the G3 El Caminos have really jumped in demand too. Nice 4-speed and original cars aren't going to come cheap anymore unless it's poorly listed or a no feedback seller.
jerry46765
jerry46765
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 20

Back to top Go down

Post by 77mali Mon Nov 10, 2014 6:43 am

An original Hurst Olds went for about $55k at Barrett Jackson last year or maybe it was Mecum....can't remember for sure but remember the price. I've seen a few G3's listed at Mecum over the years and the original condition ones seem to do OK. The H/O had extremely low miles and was museum quality though. I think these cars have become more & more collectable especially over the past 5 or so years.
77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 62

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe73 Mon Nov 10, 2014 6:44 am

Bought my SS in '82 for $1100.
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 83

Back to top Go down

Post by Roadcaptain S3 Mon Nov 10, 2014 10:03 am

It seems kind of hit and miss right now. One low mile G3 will go for 15k, and another almost identical to it will go for 8.
Overall it looks like prices have doubled over the last few years. That's not saying much, since we are still talking less than 10k most of the time.

What was fairly obvious was that the low mileage, mostly stock cars were getting the higher bids more consistently, which means the "collector" types are probably paying attention. Not sure if that's good or bad.

Its already weird to me that any of the 73-77s are going for 15k on a regular basis.
Roadcaptain S3
Roadcaptain S3
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by pila Mon Nov 10, 2014 9:06 pm

I bought my '74 Malibu in 1990, for 1100 bucks.  It was a driver though, and ran OK  I drove it to work in summer months, until the wife took it shopping, where it wouldn't start when she was ready to leave.
  The plastic teeth on the cam sprocket gave up when she shut it off Very Happy   It had 102800 miles on it at that time.
Not a lot of miles since then, but a lot of work done on it in the meantime.  
 Right now it's just pampered, like the airplane I restored in the 90s.  I take it out around the taxi streets on the airport, to make noise & lay a patch of rubber occasionally, but maybe I'll insure it next spring and drive it.
I was approached to sell it for 10 k a few weeks ago.  I don't think so...

We were talking about "collectibilty" and G3s... P1011338_zps793fb699

pila
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 43

Back to top Go down

Post by 77mali Mon Nov 10, 2014 10:19 pm

Well this Bad-boy will be crossing the Mecum block in Anaheim CA as a "Star" (Premium listing/Slot).  It's a 74 454, M21- not quite factory original but a very nice "Semi-Custom" example, that looks like it could have come this way if Chevy had put some more thought in the Chevelle model.  Anyone want to take a guess as to what she'll bring (High bid)?

https://www.mecum.com/lot-detail.cfm?lot_id=AN1114-197315
77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by pila Mon Nov 10, 2014 10:51 pm

They will do good to get 25 to 30 K out of it.. Beautiful car though...

pila
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 43

Back to top Go down

Post by 77mali Tue Nov 11, 2014 9:02 am

pila wrote:They will do good to get 25 to 30 K out of it..  Beautiful car though...

I wish there was more pics & history on the car- I'm going to guess in the 18-20k ball park. I hope I'm wrong and it does better though!
77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Dinomyte Tue Nov 11, 2014 10:16 am

I think these cars are like any other "old" item.

It's an antique / collectable if somebody wants it.  Otherwise it's just an old whatever.  

I bought my car because I can remember my uncle having one (4-door, blue with rally wheels) when I was a kid, it had lots of great memories attached to it.  I can remember my other uncle with the 2-door Galaxy yellow like mine, side pipes and oh so cool.  It's why I think we've all bought these cars, and it's why I've done / doing what I'll do with it. Build it like I would have as a teenager.  Hum sounds like I'm having a mid-life crisis doesn't it? Very Happy

As many have said, "I've got the money to do that, now."
Dinomyte
Dinomyte
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 11

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe73 Tue Nov 11, 2014 10:43 am

77mali wrote:
pila wrote:They will do good to get 25 to 30 K out of it..  Beautiful car though...

I wish there was more pics & history on the car- I'm going to guess in the 18-20k ball park.  I hope I'm wrong and it does better though!

I'm with paul on this one. 18-20 max.
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 83

Back to top Go down

Post by Roadcaptain S3 Tue Nov 11, 2014 2:22 pm

It is nice. Doesn't look "original" though. That and the big motor seem to be what the big money guys look for.

The really nice 73 SS on ebay is stalled at 4400 with 5 days left. The yellow/green Laguna with the huge wheels didn't meet reserve.
Roadcaptain S3
Roadcaptain S3
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by chevellelaguna Tue Nov 11, 2014 7:50 pm

I guess I'm the only pessimist of the group, I'm saying it won't even
Bring $18,000! Bring on the "bashing"... I can take it. You guys better get your water checked....over $20,000...
chevellelaguna
chevellelaguna
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by Roadcaptain S3 Tue Nov 11, 2014 7:53 pm

I won't bash. I agree. I'd say 10- 15
Roadcaptain S3
Roadcaptain S3
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 77mali Tue Nov 11, 2014 8:01 pm

Laughing no bashing- we'll see soon enough, what's your guess on high bid?

Captain- IMHO, I think E-bay is just about the worst place on Earth for the average person to try and sell a car. Seems like everyone who bids want's you to give it away for free.

77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Roadcaptain S3 Tue Nov 11, 2014 8:08 pm

It does suck, but I sold two mustangs there (a 65 and a 68) and did pretty good on both. Problem is, most people think whatever they have is worth twice what it actually is, or they watch too many "reality" car shows and think that's what cars really sell for.

It is a darn good tool for seeing what things are actually selling for.
Roadcaptain S3
Roadcaptain S3
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by chevellelaguna Tue Nov 11, 2014 10:10 pm

I'd be surprised if it sells...probably won't meet the reserve. High bid of $12,500.....
with what stuff costs nowadays with labour and materials etc, even $18,000 would be a deal on that particular car..you'd be hard pressed to duplicate that car for less than that. Even if you did all of the work yourself. There's more in paint and body on that car than anything else.
chevellelaguna
chevellelaguna
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by 77mali Sat Nov 15, 2014 8:59 pm

77mali wrote:Well this Bad-boy will be crossing the Mecum block in Anaheim CA as a "Star" (Premium listing/Slot).  It's a 74 454, M21- not quite factory original but a very nice "Semi-Custom" example, that looks like it could have come this way if Chevy had put some more thought in the Chevelle model.  Anyone want to take a guess as to what she'll bring (High bid)?

https://www.mecum.com/lot-detail.cfm?lot_id=AN1114-197315

Sold for $13,750

Also a 73 GMC Sprint sold for $14,000

77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Roadcaptain S3 Sat Nov 15, 2014 9:05 pm

Not bad...
Roadcaptain S3
Roadcaptain S3
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by chevellelaguna Sat Nov 15, 2014 9:52 pm

Good deal for someone! Crazy how lots of the cars didn't bring more money.
chevellelaguna
chevellelaguna
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by Shaunaconda Sun Nov 16, 2014 5:32 am

I loved that Sprint, if I had the room that would be mine! I saw it weeks ago for sale.
Shaunaconda
Shaunaconda
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum