G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sealing exhaust manifolds--what should I use?

+3
Dinomyte
dynchel
Joe73
7 posters

Go down

Sealing exhaust manifolds--what should I use? Empty Sealing exhaust manifolds--what should I use?

Post by dhw3971 Fri Dec 05, 2014 4:27 pm

When re-installing my exhaust manifolds should I use the flat metal gaskets or can I use "gasket in a tube"?  I already have some Permatex Ultra Copper sealant at home and according to Permatex it can be used to make exhaust manifold gaskets.  info link--click here
dhw3971
dhw3971
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 3

Back to top Go down

Sealing exhaust manifolds--what should I use? Empty Re: Sealing exhaust manifolds--what should I use?

Post by Joe73 Fri Dec 05, 2014 5:12 pm

Id go with metal ones like stock.
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 83

Back to top Go down

Sealing exhaust manifolds--what should I use? Empty Re: Sealing exhaust manifolds--what should I use?

Post by dynchel Fri Dec 05, 2014 7:04 pm

Joe73 wrote:Id go with metal ones like stock.
X2
dynchel
dynchel
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 40

Back to top Go down

Post by fishhead Wed Dec 10, 2014 10:14 pm

I always had good luck with the metal ones.I don't trust rubber goo except for a quick fix on stubborn collector gasket leaks.

fishhead
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Dinomyte Wed Dec 10, 2014 11:00 pm

dynchel wrote:
Joe73 wrote:Id go with metal ones like stock.
X2

Me too, and they'll be so much easier to remove if you need to.
Dinomyte
Dinomyte
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 11

Back to top Go down

Post by pila Thu Dec 11, 2014 9:53 pm

Originally there were no gaskets used, just metal to metal...still works for me.

pila
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 43

Back to top Go down

Post by dhw3971 Thu Dec 18, 2014 5:03 pm

I took the collective advice and put metal gaskets on. I used a bit of high-temp sealant just to get them to stick to the cylinder head long enough for me to bolt on the exhaust manifolds..PITA fighting gravity in that location.
dhw3971
dhw3971
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by fishhead Fri Dec 19, 2014 3:11 am

Yep,don't want to do that job twice.

fishhead
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by brownbomber77 Mon Dec 29, 2014 2:33 am

I like using the copper gasket stuff made by permatex. Comes in a spray can. has always worked with everything I have used it on

brownbomber77
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 4

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down