G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Calling Wally!

5 posters

Go down

Calling Wally! Empty Calling Wally!

Post by Roadcaptain S3 Fri Mar 13, 2015 9:13 am

Can an upholsterer re-web seat belts?

I found some swivel bucket belts. They're black and I need tan/buckskin. I've dyed the plastic parts, but the webbing just soaks it up.
Roadcaptain S3
Roadcaptain S3
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 26

Back to top Go down

Calling Wally! Empty Re: Calling Wally!

Post by Wallyuph Fri Mar 13, 2015 9:32 am

Roadcaptain S3 wrote:Can an upholsterer re-web seat belts?

I found some swivel bucket belts. They're black and I need tan/buckskin. I've dyed the plastic parts, but the webbing just soaks it up.

Yes and no

If its a retractable seat belt I have pulled out the belt from the re-tractor as far as possible then clamped it with small needle nose vice grip. you have to lay the new tan belt over the old one and sew at least 1" over top of each other as close to the re-tractor end as possible for sewing machine. (A shoe repair place will be able to get the closest to the unit with shoe patch machine but I used a regular upholstery machine and it works) With this doubled up section it takes up space so you wont get as much belt into the re-tractor any more. So you may have to leave the tail coming out longer. As for the other end with the buckles not a problem to sew them up. My suggestion is if you find someone willing to do it then have him sew up the re-tractor side then install it pull it up use clamp on tail end to make sure you have enough belt. As you don't want the over lap section coming out of the plastic sleeve as its to fat to slide back in. You maybe able to tell by my reply that I have done this before. The guy had stock belts in different color but they came up to short to fasten. Had to have his seat all the way back to get latched.

So buy a roll of seat belt webbing so you have plenty. Here is good price for webbing. measure and get twice what you think you need just to be safe
http://www.ebay.com/itm/5yd-nylon-seat-belt-type-webbing-1-5in-choose-colors-American-made-free-ship-/141175654307?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&var=440246435869&hash=item20deb987a3

O and tell the Upholster that you will pay cash as the liability issue is so big most wont even touch it. Use nylon or Dacron thread NO Cotton thread for it. The Upholstery shop will have the thread.
Wallyuph
Wallyuph
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 31

Back to top Go down

Post by Roadcaptain S3 Fri Mar 13, 2015 9:37 am

Thanks.

Kinda caught me off guard because I've dyed some belts before with no problem. Yesterday, the dye just shot right through with absolutely no change whatsoever.

I did find a service online that restores old seat belts, but there is an upholsterer right up the road. I'l try him first.
Roadcaptain S3
Roadcaptain S3
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Roadcaptain S3 Fri Mar 13, 2015 9:56 am

Is there a way to dye the webbing? Like RIT or something?
Roadcaptain S3
Roadcaptain S3
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Limey SE Fri Mar 13, 2015 9:57 am

how about you just get some Tan / Buckskin belts then switch them to the swivel one from This Guy

<<------
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Street Cred : 97

Back to top Go down

Post by Roadcaptain S3 Fri Mar 13, 2015 9:59 am

I've got the tan bench belts that I could use, but the webbing isn't that expensive.

Unless you have tan swivel belts?
Roadcaptain S3
Roadcaptain S3
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Limey SE Fri Mar 13, 2015 10:10 am

Whats your Floor mount look like and that will tell me which I have ?
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Back to top Go down

Post by Roadcaptain S3 Fri Mar 13, 2015 10:12 am

The bench base has a bolt on top for the seat to sit on, the bucket belts don't.
Roadcaptain S3
Roadcaptain S3
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Limey SE Fri Mar 13, 2015 10:20 am

hmmmmm Will have to look I am not sure
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Back to top Go down

Post by Mcarlo77 Fri Mar 13, 2015 3:07 pm

If you've got tan straps already from your bench retractors, all you need to do is swap the webbing from from those to the swivel retractors. This is totally do-able as Dino (Dinomite) can attest as we've both been successful making the swap on front swivel belts. And, both of us are about to do the rears as well. You'll just need to know how to disassemble the spool to remove the webbing. Not particularly difficult...but, like anything else, just have to pay attention to details as you take them apart.

PM me for more info if you want.
Mcarlo77
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 77

Back to top Go down

Post by Roadcaptain S3 Fri Mar 13, 2015 3:39 pm

I will!
Roadcaptain S3
Roadcaptain S3
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Dinomyte Sat Mar 14, 2015 4:56 pm

Mcarlo77 wrote:If you've got tan straps already from your bench retractors, all you need to do is swap the webbing from from those to the swivel retractors.  This is totally do-able as Dino (Dinomite) can attest as we've both been successful making the swap on front swivel belts.  And, both of us are about to do the rears as well.  You'll just need to know how to disassemble the spool to remove the webbing.  Not particularly difficult...but, like anything else, just have to pay attention to details as you take them apart.

PM me for more info if you want.

Easy as pie. Smile You may also want to try a cobbler, they too have the equipment and supplies to do this, not to mention the know how. But as was mentioned the liability is the biggest issue to them. Garry, my local cobbler does racing belts, even sells webbing, and does an exceptional job.
Dinomyte
Dinomyte
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 11

Back to top Go down

Post by Roadcaptain S3 Sat Mar 14, 2015 6:12 pm

Gracias fellas. Now I've got a couple of options at least.
Hope to start swapping later this week, I'll post progress.
Roadcaptain S3
Roadcaptain S3
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down