G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

proper re-install technique 73 SS front bumper?

3 posters

G3GM :: G3 Tech :: Body

Go down

proper re-install technique 73 SS front bumper? Empty proper re-install technique 73 SS front bumper?

Post by clanceman427 Tue Aug 18, 2015 10:09 pm

I read thru all 6 pages of the Body section, did find a thread on 73 Chevelle front bumper removal procedure, but now I'd like to know the proper re-install of a 73 Chevelle front bumper. Currently I have the urethane corner fillers bolted up to the front fenders and header panel, and also the under-headlight grille strips. And then I have the hard plastic center filler piece bolted to the bumper. Tried unsuccessfully to re-install it. (see Picture).

Should I not have those corners pre-bolted to the body? Seems now that I'm thinking about it (and catching my breath and icing my thighs and back Shocked ) maybe the proper procedure is to take those corners out completely, start the bumper on in a rough position, get a few horizontal bolts started, and then weave the urethane corners and grille strips in? My brain said stop before I tear one of the bumper fillers and tear a hernia. Laughing Any re-assembly tips appreciated!

proper re-install technique 73 SS front bumper? Imag0628
clanceman427
clanceman427
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 16

Back to top Go down

proper re-install technique 73 SS front bumper? Empty Re: proper re-install technique 73 SS front bumper?

Post by Limey SE Wed Aug 19, 2015 12:35 am

clanceman427 wrote:I read thru all 6 pages of the Body section
proper re-install technique 73 SS front bumper? Imag0628

the proper procedure is to take those corners out completely, start the bumper on in a rough position, get a few horizontal bolts started, and then weave the urethane corners and grille strips in
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Street Cred : 97

Back to top Go down

proper re-install technique 73 SS front bumper? Empty Re: proper re-install technique 73 SS front bumper?

Post by clanceman427 Wed Aug 19, 2015 8:37 am

Thanks Anthony! I'll do it that way next attempt
clanceman427
clanceman427
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by thatfnthing Wed Aug 19, 2015 8:49 am

I've found this to be a lot easier, and less damaging to the fillers:

1. Take the bumper fillers off
2. Place them loose in the bumper
3. Put the bumper back on
4. Bolt up the fillers
thatfnthing
thatfnthing
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 65

Back to top Go down

Post by clanceman427 Wed Aug 26, 2015 12:12 am

Guys, thanks for the tips. I was able to mount the bumper with 2 bolts, and then weave the urethane corners in, then the grille-ette from the side, tighten the grille-ette bolts, do the same on the other side, then final position and tighten all 8 main bumper bolts, and finish by tightening the lower braces for holding to the fender with the 3 nuts. Nice!

proper re-install technique 73 SS front bumper? Imag0710
clanceman427
clanceman427
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by Limey SE Wed Aug 26, 2015 8:34 am

Nice coming together good looks like
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Street Cred : 97

Back to top Go down

Post by clanceman427 Wed Aug 26, 2015 3:29 pm

Thank you Anthony!
clanceman427
clanceman427
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down