G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New brake lines and fuel line.

4 posters

Go down

New brake lines and fuel line. Empty New brake lines and fuel line.

Post by Joe73 Sun Sep 23, 2012 10:01 pm

Since me frame is going to the blaster tomorrow, I'm trying to figure out my brake and fuel line options. I've seen the pre-bent brake lines for about $150. But I was wondering, anyone ever bend them up themselves? I've bent bunches of lines in the past and I have a nice bender in my box, but I dont know if its worth the effort. The lines that are currently in my car are in great shape with no exterior rust but I'm looking to go new anyway because they're almost 40 years old. And who knows how the insides are. I also have a rusted complete set that I can copy before I throw them out. So I can go new or bend my own. Looking for opinions. BTW, I will be going the the original steel. I like the stainless idea but I dont want any cross-corrosion with the clamps or frame. Steel lasted this long, so it should out last me. And the cars never out in bad weather anyway. I'll probably bend up the fuel line myself because i'd like to go 1/2". I have a roll of moroso 1/2" aluminum line but again the cross corrosion issue. Ideas ??? Comments ?? Thanks guys.

BTW, if anyone needs some measurements on the frame, just let me know. I'll have it back on Wednesday.
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 83

Back to top Go down

New brake lines and fuel line. Empty Re: New brake lines and fuel line.

Post by pila Sun Sep 23, 2012 10:23 pm

I wouldn't recommend aluminum lines at all on a vehicle. When it does corrode, it it moves fast. I would think the original lines would be fine if they aren't rusty. Clean & paint them & put them back on, and use the original clamps, or new clamps from a place like inlinetube.c0m if you need to.
Can't say I've ever heard of a line rusting through from the inside, but I suppose it's a remote possibility.
Stainless wont react to steel anyway, and with the frame painted, it's even more unlikely.

pila
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 43

Back to top Go down

Post by 77mali Sun Sep 23, 2012 10:53 pm

Steel is good- stainless is expensive. With the frame only- the install will be much easier. I would just replace them with the steel pre-bents...all that work to bend them is not worth the effort IMO- it will literally take just a few minutes to get them on.

My $0.02
77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 62

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe73 Mon Sep 24, 2012 12:28 pm

Thanks for the replies guys. I'd like to reuse my current lines but here's my concern. Brake fluid attracts moisture which is the main reason your supposed to change it every couple of years. On my everyday vehicles I like to change it every 3 years. It make a big difference in pedal feel and stopping. Since brake fluid attracts moisture and its the same fluid in my chevelle since '89 is it possible that there is some internal rusting in the lines? Whats are some thoughts on that? Mine are in great shape and I wouldnt mind reusing them. I will be sandblasting all the brackets and bolts prior to install. And of course I will be changing the (3) rubber hoses as well.
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by ant7377 Mon Sep 24, 2012 4:56 pm

Joe,I put the SS one in my Monte front to back pre bent from Inline tube. It didnt fit exactly but it hasnt corroded at all,granted the car is inside all the time. But you can get the coated steel kind too, if you are worried about rust.Levines in Brewster sells it . Get the braided steel hoses too. You can get those from P-S-T.com in NJ .
ant7377
ant7377
G3GM Addict
G3GM Addict

Street Cred : 36

Back to top Go down

Post by 77mali Mon Sep 24, 2012 5:39 pm

I have the same issue going on in my head Joe....

The lines on my car that I've looked at are pretty clean on the outside. When I get to the undercarriage my intent is to do an visual inspection and go from there. Honestly, If they all look like the one that traverses the engine bay from the R Front- I will probably just clean & reuse them. I'm sure mine are original to 1977 as is the manifold that connects all the lines to the master...However, if it gives you peace of mind, replace them.
77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 62

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe73 Mon Sep 24, 2012 6:41 pm

All good opinions. I think I'm going to wait till I pull the body and then evaluate which way I'll go. Meanwhile, I'll be blasting bolts and brackets. Just have to grab some 3/4" pipe to make a condensate unit for my compressor for nice dry air.
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down