G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

just a thought on nascar

+3
novaderrik
Roadcaptain S3
74maroonmonte
7 posters

Go down

just a thought on nascar Empty just a thought on nascar

Post by badbiscayne66 Thu Aug 27, 2009 9:00 pm

just wondering how much money is involved in richard petty having a bud car after petty enterprise never ran a beer decal ever .......look at all the bush clashes and bud shootouts missed.......now bam kyle is thrown to the street theres a bud car and now they may go toyota............whats it worth to throw away all your principals out to remain a big dog in a sport????
badbiscayne66
badbiscayne66
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 2

Back to top Go down

just a thought on nascar Empty Re: just a thought on nascar

Post by Roadcaptain S3 Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:00 pm

Badbis,
I quit watching that crap years ago. Like most other pro sports, money ruined it.
I would love NASCAR to return to STOCK CAR racing. I got fed up with it years ago, and now with all the diva drama and meth head redneck horsesh#t, i sure as hell won't pay any more attention to it now.
I would like to see a few guys shoot it out with REAL cars. Can you picture some really good drivers whooping it up with barely modified shelbys, camaro ss's and challengers. I would pay to see that, minus all the middle school baby stuff and "cars" they race with.
Roadcaptain S3
Roadcaptain S3
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 26

Back to top Go down

Post by IndyG3 Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:30 pm

I'll say it again- NASCAR will only be interesting if racers actually used a car that resembled a factory car, not some silly bullet shaped car whose only identification is whatever vehicle decal they toss on it. The other problem is that most car companies' vehicles all look so bland, there's almost no going back to the way the sport used to be, unless car makers start making interesting cars again.
This stuff got lame after the 80's...
IndyG3
IndyG3
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 11

Back to top Go down

Post by JB2wheeler Fri Aug 28, 2009 7:29 am

I pretty much agree with the other comments here, but I do still watch the races. The best era was the 1970s when cars were cars. Petty Enterprises has been having financial problems and I guess they are doing this as a matter of survival. JB
JB2wheeler
JB2wheeler
G3GM Fanatic
G3GM Fanatic

Street Cred : 28

Back to top Go down

Post by novaderrik Fri Aug 28, 2009 4:05 pm

Richard Petty Enterprises isn't the same race team it was up until the beginning of the year- they merged with the Gillette/Evernham team in the off season, and the Bud sponsorship came with Kasey Kahn.
i guess i've never really known about the Petty ban on alcohol sponsorship before- which seems kind of silly given that there has been a Petty in NASCAR since the beginning, and we all know where NASCAR got it's start- but did the Petty teams used to run at the Watkins Glen race when it was sponsored by Budweiser and called the NASCAR Winston Cup "Bud at the Glen"?
as for Kyle getting booted out of the driver's seat- that's something that should have happened a couple of decades ago. actually, he should not have been given the driver's seat at all- the only reason he drove for Petty Enterprises all those years was because he couldn't drive worth a crap for anyone else. if he hadn't been hogging that second car, they could have had a good driver in there years ago and might have actually won some races and they would have not been forced to merge with another team. i like Kyle as a guy in the booth and as a person, but he was never much of a driver.

novaderrik
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 7

Back to top Go down

Post by 74maroonmonte Fri Aug 28, 2009 4:26 pm

I quess they need to do this to keep racing. Nowadays it's a multi-billion dollar sport. I never knew Petty Enterprices principally never wanted beer decals on their cars.
Petty Enterprices isn't half what it was back in the old days. I somtimes wonder they are still around. Bobby Labonte isn't doing bad, but if it wasn't for this driver....Rolling Eyes
And I agree, instead of keeping Kyle in one of their cars they should've looked for other better drivers to take that seat, a long time ago.

I still watch the races every now and then. I sometimes miss out on a few. Here in Europe it's hard to catch any NASCAR races. It's not on tv. I use an online live stream to watch it.
It's too bad these cars don't look anything like street cars anymore, but they haven't really since the 90's. But I have to say I always liked how the cars looked just before they went with the COT cars. And first I hated the looks of the COT design, but I got used to it now.
I'm just glad they keep it pretty much low-tech. Not like Formula One. At least we still got the good old push rod V8 engines and carburators on top. These cars can actually run without a dozen computers hooked to it.

I quess I'm still a fan.
74maroonmonte
74maroonmonte
G3GM Newbie
G3GM Newbie

Street Cred : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by novaderrik Mon Aug 31, 2009 4:22 pm

i try to catch the races- they are actually better this year than they have been for a while, probably mostly due to the financial situation and drivers actually having to work to show that they are worth what they are being paid instead of some up and coming local drivers that want to get to the top. there are a lot more small teams that are hungry now than in the recent past.
as for the COT- once you get past the decals on the front and back of the car that tell you what kind it is, the profiles of the cars at speed actually look more like production cars than the old car did. watch a Nationwide race once and you will see what i mean- they still run a car that looks like the old Cup car, and there is nothing that looks even remotely stock. if they'd just work on the nose and tails on the COT to more accurately reflect the car they are trying to emulate and ditch that damn rear wing and front splitter, they could be onto something with that car.
right now, my biggest thing with NASCAR is that they need more road courses and 1/2-3/4 mile ovals. all those 1.5 mile triovals are just flat out boring. watch some old footage of races at Riverside Raceway in California in the 80's. that was some exciting racing. hell, the Nationwide race in Montreal yesterday was pretty intense. well, the parts that didn't get edited out on the ESPN2 replay last night were pretty cool- bumper cars going 170mph in the rain and the race came down to a mistake on the last turn of the last lap by a road race veteran.

novaderrik
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by badbiscayne66 Mon Aug 31, 2009 8:47 pm

I HATE ROADCOURSE RACING!!!!! AND DOING IT IN THE RAIN IS STUPID!! NATIONWIDE IS GOING COT !!!! I MISS DALE EARNHARDT!!!!!
( JR SUCKS)
badbiscayne66
badbiscayne66
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by novaderrik Tue Sep 01, 2009 2:20 am

http://www.nascar.com/video/busch/2009/08/30/nns.mon.high.final.nascar/

how can you not think this is an exciting finish to the race? Carl Edwards and Marcus Ambrose jockeying for position thru a series of turns that go left and right, and Ambrose making a mistake at the end that cost him the victory. this is the kind of stuff that happens far too rarely on an oval.

novaderrik
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Roadcaptain S3 Tue Sep 01, 2009 7:52 am

ZZZZZZZZZZZZ........huh? What?.........ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

Better than oval but still......
Roadcaptain S3
Roadcaptain S3
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 26

Back to top Go down

Post by badbiscayne66 Tue Sep 01, 2009 4:11 pm

I AGREE IT WAS EXCITING FINISH BUT I DONT THINK THEY SHOULD RUN ROADCOURSES WITH YHESE CARS,,,,,, NO OVALS FOR DRAG CARS,,,,,,
NO MUD BOGGING FOR INDY CARS,,,,,,,
badbiscayne66
badbiscayne66
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by novaderrik Tue Sep 01, 2009 5:30 pm

why shouldn't they run road courses? it adds an extra layer of difficulty for the racers and crews. at most tracks, they only turn left. throw in a bunch of right hand turns and elevation changes, and it makes them step up their game and learn a new skillset.
road courses are actually a throwback to the beginnings of stock car racing- hillbillies with cars full of moonshine outrunning the law on backroads. this involved left and right turns, as well as hills and valleys.
i'm sure the first shiners to race on an oval thought it was kind of silly running around in circles like that.
they claim to be the best race car drivers in the world, and road courses help them prove it.
i think they should add a couple of rallycross events, too. put them on a dirt road on a mountain somewhere and really see what they are made of..

novaderrik
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by JB2wheeler Tue Sep 01, 2009 6:03 pm

I love road courses and I was simple thrilled that they ran the race in the rain. That really made it interesting. JB
JB2wheeler
JB2wheeler
G3GM Fanatic
G3GM Fanatic

Street Cred : 28

Back to top Go down

Post by IndyG3 Tue Sep 01, 2009 7:37 pm

I think they need to bring back the IROC races. That's where the real challenge was- everyone drove the exact same car, but at least they were cool cars! That, and like NASCAR has become, it would be more of a test of driver skill and the knowledge of the people that set the cars up for the races. It's a shame that stuff went under a while ago...
IndyG3
IndyG3
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 11

Back to top Go down

Post by autorecycler Wed Sep 02, 2009 12:06 am

only thing that stays the same is change. same goes for NASCAR. I grew up in central florida and went to Daytona both races every year from 75 to 79 including the wreck and fist fight in turn 3-4. Technology changed, the cars changed... Same thing happened in drag racing Funny Cars are not the flopperrs of old. Look at F1, indy and especially mud boggers... they have all changed. heck, if NASCAR goes to fuel injection watch VW and some others get into the action as well. You want cars that look like street cars, then go support the local tracks. plenty of street stock and bombers out there. even have G3's racing out here. But for the top tier racing, it has to be about the money. Folks have to make a living and NASCAR pays salary on a bunch of people.
autorecycler
autorecycler
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by badbiscayne66 Fri Sep 11, 2009 7:16 pm

PETTY MERGING WITH YATES .....RUNNIN FORDS IN 2010
badbiscayne66
badbiscayne66
G3GM Member