G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

windshield rot

3 posters

G3GM :: G3 Tech :: Body

Go down

windshield rot Empty windshield rot

Post by 73ss Thu Jul 07, 2016 7:10 pm

My car was restored in 1994. After 20 plus years it was time for some paintwork and a new windshield. The windshield was replaced at the time with a used one. The glass started getting hazy after all these years and it was time for a new one. I'm glad I decided to get it replaced, when it was removed rot was found. It wasn't there 20 yrs ago. I had no idea it was there other then a soft spot around the antenna area. I was not getting any leaks, Had no clue it was that bad. the body man did a nice job on it other than getting the wrong glass. I was also getting some hidden rot in the tail light pockets. It was starting from the inside out. I would see a drop or 2 of water in the trunk after a wash but no bad leaks. Car is stored inside. I figure the rust started from years of washing and then putting the car away. from now on I'll blow out the crevices with air and take it for a good drive after a wash. Those of you considering future body or paint work you may want to remove the windshield. There will most likely be some rot. The body man that did my car in 94 is still in business. I took it back to him. He says I should get another 20 out of it. Total cost was more than double what I paid in 94 for a completely stripped to the bare metal paint job. Paint and materials have gone up that much. Mad I also replaced the hood hinges with NOS units. Hood is now aligned, and it no longer lifts and shakes at the rear at higher speeds.

windshield rot IMG_1703_zpswxs399ej
windshield rot IMG_1702_zpsiiiwv5fw
windshield rot IMG_1700_zpsnjmvclfe
windshield rot IMG_1685_zpsyosenq5t
windshield rot IMG_1684_zps7mewwu8u
73ss
73ss
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 11

Back to top Go down

windshield rot Empty Re: windshield rot

Post by pila Thu Jul 07, 2016 7:28 pm

Good to hear that you discovered it now instead of when it maybe got real bad. The fact that it was apart 20 years ago, may have saved it from more rust damage.
And you are sure correct about the cost of paint & misc materials going crazy these days..

Bill

pila
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 43

Back to top Go down

Post by Hs1973 Fri Jul 08, 2016 1:17 am

Yea, thats how rust sneaks up on you. I am a sertified body repairman and see alot of cars. The climate here in Copenhagen makes cars rust faster than most places. Its the moist conditions that makes the cars rust away. To much wash is bad, to little is also bad.

The worst is a wet car in a closed garage or setting it side on grass with a tarp on it. I have seen Nice cars getting Real bad rust over winter, from sitting on grass with a tarp over it.

Im glad you caught it now and Found a good bodyman to fix it. Good body guys are hard to find.
Hs1973
Hs1973
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 14

Back to top Go down

Post by 73ss Fri Jul 08, 2016 5:41 pm

Hs1973 wrote:Yea, thats how rust sneaks up on you. I am a sertified body repairman and see alot of cars. The climate here in Copenhagen makes cars rust faster than most places. Its the moist conditions that makes the cars rust away.

Same thing here in NE Ohio. known as the rust belt. It is a struggle just to keep the rust away on the everyday driver. Brake & fuel lines always the first to go.
73ss
73ss
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 11

Back to top Go down

Post by pila Fri Jul 08, 2016 10:28 pm

Yes...here in the rust belt, it's almost necessary to keep a stock of new lines for brakes & fuel, along with the required double-flair tools...to keep the fleet running ! Very Happy

pila
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 43

Back to top Go down

Post by Hs1973 Sat Jul 09, 2016 7:57 am

Here in Europe we use cobber Lines. Just because steel rot away fast. And ones you tried loosing brakes over a rottet steel Line you dont use steel ever again. Its also easy to replace it with cobber since it is easy to bend by hand.
Hs1973
Hs1973
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 14

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down