G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Muncie finish soon

4 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Muncie finish soon Empty Muncie finish soon

Post by JF74chevelle Sun Oct 09, 2016 5:40 pm

Okay guys so this is what I have for my Muncie swap and I'd like to know what else I need and where are the z-bar frame mount holes and where on the block I drill for the pivot ball. Here's the list
• Muncie m-20 rebuilt by my uncle and i
• bellhousing
• Hurst Shifter (no shift linkage yet)
-WHAT I NEED-
• BRAKE AND CLUTCH PEDALS, Z-BAR (10''), CLUTCH PEDAL PUSHROD, CLUTCH FORK BOOT, CLUTCH FORK, ADJUSTABLE CLUTCH FORK PUSHROD, CLUTCH FORK BALL, CLUTCH RETURN SPRING(S), Z-BAR FRAME BRACKET, Z-BAR HARDWARE KIT (CONTAINING AN ENGINE BALL STUD, FRAME SIDE BALL STUD, 1 RETAINER, 1 FELT WASHER, 2 NYLON BUSHING
• Clutch
• Pilot bushing
• Fly-wheel
• Clutch rod firewall boot
What am I missing and where are the holes for the z-bar frame mount and where do I drill the hole for the pivot ball on the block?
JF74chevelle
JF74chevelle
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 0

Back to top Go down

Muncie finish soon Empty Re: Muncie finish soon

Post by McCauley5983 Sun Oct 09, 2016 5:57 pm

Firewall boot is a crap shoot the closest one I could find was for a 70 Camaro but its smaller than the Chevelle firewall hole.
For the pilot bushing make sure you get the copper one and not the iron copper mix bring a magnet to the local parts store if it sticks it's the iron mix put it back and get the other one it's nice insurance if something goes wrong it won't trash the input shaft.
The hole for the z bar pivot ball is more than likely already drilled it should be right above the oil filter if it's not you can drill it with the motor in the car you just have to remove the inner fender.
The kit from the parts place is fairly complete and reasonably priced and it will also get you up and running faster than trying to get factory stuff.
One more thing you will need is clutch bump stop bracket nobody sells one for our cars I made one it's not pretty but it works the other option is to modify one from an early corvette to work.
The holes where already in the frame for the z bar bracket too
McCauley5983
McCauley5983
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 14

Back to top Go down

Post by JF74chevelle Sun Oct 09, 2016 6:28 pm

How do I make my own clutch stop or how can I modify a corvette one?
JF74chevelle
JF74chevelle
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by JF74chevelle Sun Oct 09, 2016 6:43 pm

http://www.4speedconversions.com/73_77_a_pedals.html

Could these work?
JF74chevelle
JF74chevelle
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by McCauley5983 Sun Oct 09, 2016 7:01 pm

Actually I'm shocked they have refurbished OEM pedals that include the bracket that's awesome in that case your good.
McCauley5983
McCauley5983
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by McCauley5983 Sun Oct 09, 2016 7:09 pm

I also recommend making your linkage with hiem joints. I broke the rod that goes to the pedal from the zbar from the pressure of the pressure plate built the new linkage with hiem joints and the pedal feel was amazingly smooth
McCauley5983
McCauley5983
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by JF74chevelle Sun Oct 09, 2016 7:13 pm

Okay thanks man, so I'm pretty much set if I buy all of things including that's bracket from 4speedconversions.com
JF74chevelle
JF74chevelle
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by McCauley5983 Sun Oct 09, 2016 7:24 pm

I just checked I would get the pedals from 4 speed conversions then jump over to the parts place for the other little pieces looks to be about 10 bucks cheaper on everything
McCauley5983
McCauley5983
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe73 Sun Oct 09, 2016 8:07 pm

Like stated, there should already be a hole in your block for the pivot ball.  Id take a look with a flashlight before anything.

Muncie finish soon 4spd%204_zpskyld7eim

Also like stated, make sure you get a NON-MAGNETIC pilot bushing.  I believe they are made out of bronze.  No chinese stuff!!!

As for the pushrod firewall boot.  Since your not a factory 4 speed you wont have any problems here.  Get a firewall boot for a 70-81 camaro.  It looks just like a factory boot but the bolt spacing is much smaller.  So you can just drill your firewall where needed and you'll be good to go.  As for the screw locations, I'm pretty sure your firewall is dimpled where the screws will go.  So just line up the camaro boot in the center of the dimples and secure it.  

As, double check your bellhousing.  Maybe run any part numbers on it.  Some bellhousings are for 10 1/2" clutches and some are for 11".  Bascially comes done to what size flywheel you can fit in the bellhousing.  Flywheels also come with dual patterns meaning they can accept a 10 1/2" or 11" flywheel.  

I like the heim joint idea McCauley mentioned.  Although I've never had a problem with a stock pushrod even running 3600 lb., 3 finger (borg n beck) style pressure plates.  But the heim joint will make things smoother.

Go with a diaphragm style clutch.  You leg and linkage will thank you.  A diaphragm clutch has lots of fingers around the entire perimeter so they are easy to identify.  

The holes for the z bar frame bracket are already on your frame.  Its located at the top of the frame just slightly ahead of the firewall.  Rearward of the front brake hose.  See pic.  I'd say buy one but they shouldnt be too hard to make with some heavy angle iron.  If your not racing the car with a heavy clutch you'll be fine with a stock one.  But I've broken them twice.  Not a big deal to reweld.  
Muncie finish soon 4spd%202_zpsjujmlchh
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 83

Back to top Go down

Post by JF74chevelle Sun Oct 09, 2016 8:16 pm

Okay so I can get everything I need from the kit that "thepartsplace" sells except for the clutch bump stop and the clutch pedal and brake bracket? What about a throughout bearing?
JF74chevelle
JF74chevelle
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe73 Sun Oct 09, 2016 8:19 pm

Clutch kit should come complete. Pressure plate, clutch disc and throwout bearing.

There are 3 types of throw out bearings made. For our cars we are just concerned with what is referred to as the Long or short bearing. The 3 finger borg n beck style uses the short bearing. The diapragm style uses the long bearing. But get a clutch "kit". That way everything matches from the same manufacturer.
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by JF74chevelle Sun Oct 09, 2016 8:26 pm

Okay I was thinking of getting the RAM MUSCLE CAR clutch kit from summit racing the bellhousing I have is a 10 1/2 inch.
JF74chevelle
JF74chevelle
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe73 Sun Oct 09, 2016 8:32 pm

I think thats a good choice and VERY reasonably priced. Make sure you look at the disc before you install it. It should be marked "flywheel side" or something of that nature. You dont want to install it backwards. Good luck with it.
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by JF74chevelle Sun Oct 09, 2016 8:34 pm

Thanks and so with all of these parts all I am missing is the clutch pedal/brake pedal bracket, and the clutch bump stop?
JF74chevelle
JF74chevelle
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe73 Sun Oct 09, 2016 8:38 pm

Thats what it looks like.
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by JF74chevelle Sun Oct 09, 2016 8:55 pm

Okay thanks I'll try to find those parts, thanks for all the help guys!!!
JF74chevelle
JF74chevelle
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by JF74chevelle Tue Oct 11, 2016 11:03 am

Good news is that I located all of the holes yesterday and I DO have the hole in the block for the pivot ball, but I just can't find the clutch/brake pedal bracket and clutch bump stop.
JF74chevelle
JF74chevelle
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by clanceman427 Tue Oct 11, 2016 12:33 pm

Hooray on having the hole in the block for pivot ball! That is good news.

Only other things not accounted for is the dust shield (I've not had one driving for 2 years no biggie unless in a rainstorm perhaps). And your strategy for back up lights, and neutral safety start, if you want that functionality. Not critical to get you rrunning but may impact state inspection if you get regular tags.

Does your engine use stock intake and
clanceman427
clanceman427
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 16

Back to top Go down

Post by clanceman427 Tue Oct 11, 2016 12:35 pm

Carb? If so you might need to plug the Transmission Controlled Spark if your Muncie does not have the switch on the 3-4 shift lever. Not a biggie mine is currently bypassed.
clanceman427
clanceman427
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by JF74chevelle Tue Oct 11, 2016 2:02 pm

I'm planning to wire a reverse toggle for the lights and I am running a EPS edelbrock intake and Edelbrock 1406 carb. And do I need a dust cover?
JF74chevelle
JF74chevelle
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by clanceman427 Tue Oct 11, 2016 6:35 pm

Probably not, my car is missing one. Only thing is maybe if your car is a daily driver it would be good to keep junk out of there
clanceman427
clanceman427
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by JF74chevelle Tue Oct 11, 2016 7:50 pm

I drive this thing every single day so I'll pick one up if I can find one
JF74chevelle
JF74chevelle
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe73 Tue Oct 11, 2016 8:07 pm

Should be easy to find one. Make sure its the right one for your bellhousing. You normally have to remove the starter to get it on. But since your pulling the trans you might be able to put it on the starter, let it dangle, put on your flywheel/clutch/bellhousing and then bolt up the dust shield.
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by JF74chevelle Tue Oct 11, 2016 9:36 pm

Okay will do, I'm still searching for that bracket and if I can't find one this project is pretty much shot.
JF74chevelle
JF74chevelle
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe73 Tue Oct 11, 2016 11:10 pm

If you talking about the frame bracket, get a piece of angle iron and fab one up.
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next