G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

what is proper finish for swivel bucket base hardware?

2 posters

Go down

what is proper finish for swivel bucket base hardware? Empty what is proper finish for swivel bucket base hardware?

Post by clanceman427 Tue Feb 09, 2016 3:48 pm

I'm getting ready to restore my 73 SS swivel bucket bases, including allthe tracks, mounting braces, levers, etc. and when I look at the parts from by car, it appears they were never painted from the factory, but some sort of galvanizing/phosphate/etc. don't know the correct term or finish. Definately not chrome, but no trace of old paint.

I'd like to see if I can get them redone factory. They'd probably need to be media blasted and then cleaned and re-phosphated-or-whatever the term is.

If it proves to be way too expensive, then I'll go the Eastwood paint "simulated phosphate" route.

Does anybody know the origin of the finish and what it's called and if it can be redone? My parts have a lot of surface rust but not damage. Factory plastic knobs are in good shape.

what is proper finish for swivel bucket base hardware? Imag1117

what is proper finish for swivel bucket base hardware? Imag1118

what is proper finish for swivel bucket base hardware? Imag1119

clanceman427
clanceman427
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 16

Back to top Go down

what is proper finish for swivel bucket base hardware? Empty Re: what is proper finish for swivel bucket base hardware?

Post by Joe73 Tue Feb 09, 2016 6:28 pm

I've had a least a half dozen of these seats over the years and never noticed it ever being other than bare metal.
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 83

Back to top Go down

what is proper finish for swivel bucket base hardware? Empty Re: what is proper finish for swivel bucket base hardware?

Post by clanceman427 Tue Feb 09, 2016 7:18 pm

Seems to be the case. Maybe I should media blast, and then just sealer and clear?
clanceman427
clanceman427
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe73 Tue Feb 09, 2016 8:23 pm

I think media or dustless and then some flat clear. Only question would be getting any type of media or glass out of the swivel mechanism itself.
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by clanceman427 Tue Feb 09, 2016 10:23 pm

I got a good suggestion from another forum. soak the parts in rust remover, then either WD-40 them, or powdercoat them in a bare steel color. I might try soak, then flat clear.
clanceman427
clanceman427
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe73 Tue Feb 09, 2016 10:31 pm

Forget the rust remover. Run over to walmart and pick up a couple gallon jugs of Heinz white vinegar for like 3 bucks a gallon. Soak the parts in vinegar for a couple days. You will be amazed.

And save the used vinegar and reuse it.
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by clanceman427 Tue Feb 09, 2016 10:47 pm

I'm game! a little oil and some herbs and seasoning and I got a nice salad dressing when I'm done. Hell I'll give it a shot. I've read that all you need to do after the soak in vinegar, is rinse with water, is that what you do? Then dry the parts and flat clear?
clanceman427
clanceman427
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe73 Wed Feb 10, 2016 6:36 am

Yes , just water to neutralize . Then I hit it withwax and grease remover just in case. Love that stuff.
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down