G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

need engine and trans info

+2
74maroonmonte
Limey SE
6 posters

Go down

need engine and trans info Empty need engine and trans info

Post by soufigured86 Wed Sep 23, 2009 5:20 pm

I have a 76 or 77 cutlass, dont kno the exact year, I would like to know a few things about the driveline. I was told the car had a bigblock 350, i looked it up and found nothing, i think it has an olds 350, I would like to know what transmissions will bolt up to this engine, and a few cars the transmissions can be found in, thanks in advance for the help.

soufigured86
G3GM Newbie
G3GM Newbie

Street Cred : 0

Back to top Go down

need engine and trans info Empty Re: need engine and trans info

Post by Limey SE Wed Sep 23, 2009 5:40 pm

first question===>>> 350 was NEVER a big block

second question ===>>> buick olds pontiac transmissions will fit the olds 350, the 350 TH that came in chevrolet's will bolt up with a special adapter thru the catalog stores I.E. SUMMIT,JEGS and the like

And 3rd item welcome to the forum glad you found us and post up a pic of car and a profile and tell a lil more about you and your ride...... WELCOME ABOARD

Anthony
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Street Cred : 97

Back to top Go down

Post by soufigured86 Wed Sep 23, 2009 5:46 pm

well thanks for the welcome, ill have pics here, as well as my cardomain page (soufigured86) i just need to take some. i would like to know what transmissions are a direct bolt on, and cars they can be found in, and will the trans out of a 64 parisiene (spelling?) work with my engine, of would it just be eseyer to change both engine and trans?

soufigured86
G3GM Newbie
G3GM Newbie

Back to top Go down

Post by Limey SE Wed Sep 23, 2009 6:41 pm

the parisienne is a pontiac based car as far as the trans I would check the app first they might be diff patterns(just for the mere age difference) , other members will chime in as well. In 1964 the parisienne used the same transmissions as Chevrolet, including 3 and 4 speed manual and the 2 speed Powerglide and later the 3 speed Turbo-Hydramatic automatic transmissions. So i am not sure if that one would work or not.

Anthony
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Back to top Go down

Post by soufigured86 Wed Sep 23, 2009 7:24 pm

well, i found out my cutlass has a rocket 350, no decal on the air cleaner, but rocket 350 same as 74 when they still had the decal, so what trans would be bolted to that? all i kno is its auto 3 speed, column shift, my car has a bad trans, once i kno what it has in there i can look to replace, and the pontiac parisienne parts car is no good, so...

soufigured86
G3GM Newbie
G3GM Newbie

Back to top Go down

Post by BlackChevelleSS Wed Sep 23, 2009 10:57 pm

I would expect the 64 to have a powerglide. but if you know its a 3 speed auto then it should be a th350 or th400.

need engine and trans info SIG2
BlackChevelleSS
BlackChevelleSS
Management
Management

Street Cred : 20

Back to top Go down

Post by Limey SE Wed Sep 23, 2009 11:49 pm

BUt is not the BOP (Buick,Olds,Pontiac) trans case bolt pattern different than chevy. I know thats what stopped me buying a built olds trans for my laguna I had to buy the adapter for the bolt pattern, so if putting a chey 350 th behind the olds motor would not he have to do that as well ?? except it would for mounting the chevy trans to olds motor

Anthony
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Back to top Go down

Post by Limey SE Wed Sep 23, 2009 11:53 pm

As Chevrolets under the skin, Canadian Pontiacs including the Parisienne used the same engines and transmissions as full-size Chevys, including the 250 cu inch 6 cylinder and 283, 327, 350, 396, 409, 427 cu inch V8s. These engines were mated to the same transmissions as Chevrolet, including 3 and 4 speed manual and the 2 speed Powerglide and later the 3 speed Turbo-Hydramatic automatic transmissions.

Anthony
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Back to top Go down

Post by 74maroonmonte Thu Sep 24, 2009 6:53 pm

BOP and Chevy bolt patterns are definitely different. Those adapter plates work both ways.

BOP trans to Chevy engine
BOP engine to Chevy trans

Buick Olds Pontiac
need engine and trans info BOP_BP

Chevy
need engine and trans info Chevy_BP

soufigured86, you probably have TH350. Just take a look at the bottomside of the oil pan:
http://www.maliburacing.com/auto_tranny_id.htm

what exactly are the sympthoms of the trans? Could be many things. But maybe no need for a trans swap.
74maroonmonte
74maroonmonte
G3GM Newbie
G3GM Newbie

Back to top Go down

Post by The Dude Fri Sep 25, 2009 1:31 am

soufigured86 wrote:well, i found out my cutlass has a rocket 350, no decal on the air cleaner, but rocket 350 same as 74 when they still had the decal, so what trans would be bolted to that? all i kno is its auto 3 speed, column shift, my car has a bad trans, once i kno what it has in there i can look to replace, and the pontiac parisienne parts car is no good, so...

Welcome to the forum! Looks like Olds owners are starting to run rampant on here!

Yes if you have an Oldsmobile V8, no matter if it was built in 1949 or 1987, it is a "Rocket" motor. People seem to think "Rocket" makes it special, but in reality it's just like Buick "Wildcat" or Pontiac "Poncho" or SBCs being called "mouse motors". Nothing different there. In the near future, I think I'm going to do an Oldsmobile FAQ.

Thank you Maroonmonte for posting the pics so I don't have to. Easy way to remember which is which when going through the salvage yard, Chevy bolt pattern is upside down "V" shape. Remember - CheVy Wink . I'm about 98% sure you have a TH350 also known as the 350 Turbo. Look for one in a salvage yard with the short tail shaft & you will be fine. Look under the car & see what the trans pan looks like. it should be a square with one corner cut off if it's a TH350.

If you happen across a Chevy trans, you can do 2 things:
1. Swap out all of the internals, since they are identical other than the bolt pattern.
2. Buy an adapter like stated above. The adapters are cheap & easy to hookup. Nothing wrong with using an adapter if you can't find a B-O-P trans.
The Dude
The Dude
Management
Management

Street Cred : 48

Back to top Go down

Post by BlackChevelleSS Fri Sep 25, 2009 3:57 am

BOP trans are plentiful tho.

Its Turbo Hydromatic 350 or TH350 for short Wink

need engine and trans info SIG2
BlackChevelleSS
BlackChevelleSS
Management
Management

Street Cred : 20

Back to top Go down

Post by jonny o Tue Sep 29, 2009 12:01 pm

Easy limey... there was a 348 BB I think.

jonny o
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 2

Back to top Go down

Post by jonny o Tue Sep 29, 2009 12:03 pm

And didn't the rocket 350 have both a bb and sm version?
Not trying to stir up sh it, just curious.

jonny o
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 2

Back to top Go down

Post by The Dude Tue Sep 29, 2009 12:31 pm

jonny o wrote:And didn't the rocket 350 have both a bb and sm version?
Not trying to stir up sh it, just curious.

Nope. What Oldsmobile DID have was a 350 diesel motor, but it was still considered a small block. They have thicker bores & higher nickel content making them great for boring out something like .125 over. If someone tries to tell you they have a 350 big block, that's because they've never seen a real Oldsmobile big block! All Olds have some wide intakes.

Another tidbit, there was an early & a late model 400 big block, each with a different bore/stroke combo. Even crazier is the fact that the 403 was a small block, but had the largest bore of any Oldsmobile engine ever made at 4.351 inches!

Don't worry, no sh t stirred here. Olds is one of those misunderstood brands. You know I got me a B&M edition Supreme with 442 cubic inches, LMAO.
The Dude
The Dude
Management
Management

Street Cred : 48

Back to top Go down

Post by soufigured86 Wed Sep 30, 2009 12:20 am

k, well, i dont have to much access to the web right now, but i just spent the weekend workin on my car, found out that the tranns in the car is th350, the problem im having with it is it only gets reverse, probly gonna rebuild it and throw in a shift kit, well, i would like a cheaper alternative to a rebuild

soufigured86
G3GM Newbie
G3GM Newbie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down