G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Update on my car

5 posters

Go down

Update on my car Empty Update on my car

Post by JF74chevelle Sat Dec 23, 2017 1:05 pm

I got a new engine in my car now it’s a 357 small block. Eagle rotating assembly, comp cam xe274h, brodix 180cc heads, edelbrock air-gap intake. Has and edelbrock 600now but I will get an AED650 in the future.

It leaks oil from the pan I believe and my dad and I want to just pull it back out, get a nice one piece pan gasket.

Also going to change the oil pump from a HV Melling I bought to a standard pump. It just had too much psi. About 50 psi at idle when at operating temp and it just climbs way too high for my liking with rpm.

I just bought new Viking DA coil overs, new control arm bushings and a trutrac with 3.73s. So the plan is to pull the engine, paint/clean the bay, paint frame and suspension, including the spindles, the frame that is showing, the control arms, the wheel wells. Clean up some wiring, maybe take the a/c off the firewall because I don’t have a compressor or any lines.

Should’ve done it the first time around but I was eager to hear my engine. Oh well, I’m on winter break and have time to do it and it shouldn’t take real long. I’ll tkae the rear end to my buddies shop for them to install the new unit because I don’t want to mess anything up and he’s one of the best.
JF74chevelle
JF74chevelle
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 0

Back to top Go down

Update on my car Empty Re: Update on my car

Post by Joe73 Sat Dec 23, 2017 1:52 pm

What pcv are you running? If its the stock one for the car it will not work properly with the cam change. And if the pcv is not working properly, the pressure inside the engine will be higher than normal and you will have oil leaks. I highly recommend a stock GM fixed orifice pcv for any engine other than stock. There isnt any ball or spring in the fixed orifice so it will do its job on any engine. For about $4, it might fix your oil leak or will at least help with any future leaks.
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 83

Back to top Go down

Post by JF74chevelle Sat Dec 23, 2017 2:04 pm

Joe73 wrote:What pcv are you running?  If its the stock one for the car it will not work properly with the cam change.  And if the pcv is not working properly, the pressure inside the engine will be higher than normal and you will have oil leaks.  I highly recommend a stock GM fixed orifice pcv for any engine other than stock.  There isnt any ball or spring in the fixed orifice so it will do its job on any engine.  For about $4, it might fix your oil leak or will at least help with any future leaks.

I have the pcv on the front drivers side valve cover with a baffle going to the front of my edelbrock carb. On the drivers side I have it blocked off with a rubber plug and Chrome plug.
JF74chevelle
JF74chevelle
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by JF74chevelle Sat Dec 23, 2017 2:09 pm

Joe, how should I be running the pcv?
JF74chevelle
JF74chevelle
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe73 Sat Dec 23, 2017 2:10 pm

Couple things. The Pcv should be on the drivers side and a breather on the passenger side. Air has to go in so the pcv can let it out. You have one side blocked off?

There are no charts or specs available for all the pcv valves on the market. So they are all a shot in the dark as to what will work with your setup. If I remember correctly, you dont want more than 3 psi in a running engine when measured at the dipstick. Every pcv valve has a different spring weight inside it. They open a different vacuum levels. Your best bet is to go with a fixed orifice that way the pcv system works as it should regardless of engine mods. If you need the part numbers for a fixed orifice let me know.
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe73 Sat Dec 23, 2017 2:12 pm

Pcv should be on the drivers valve cover and connected to DIRECT vacuum. Direct vacuum can be obtained from any port on the base plate of the carb or below. Also any port on the manifold.

Passenger side cover should have a breather to allow air in. That breather can also serve as your oil fill.
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by JF74chevelle Sat Dec 23, 2017 2:29 pm

Joe73 wrote:Pcv should be on the drivers valve cover and connected to DIRECT  vacuum.  Direct vacuum can be obtained from any port on the base plate of the carb or below.  Also any port on the manifold.

Passenger side cover should have a breather to allow air in.  That breather can also serve as your oil fill.

I have my passenger side valve cover oil fill plugged with a rubber plug. Should I try a breather and see if anything changes?
JF74chevelle
JF74chevelle
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe73 Sat Dec 23, 2017 2:34 pm

Absolutely !! Air has to get in the engine in order for the pcv to be able to let it out.

Your building up pressure in your engine and it cant get out.

And grab one of these pcv's at your local store and put it on your car. They are all the same, fixed orifice, with no moving parts.

GM 12572717
bwd 484
acdelco cv4000c
fram fv410
wells pcv 371
airtex 6P1241
carquest 76-2698
autozone pcv 1009
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by JF74chevelle Sat Dec 23, 2017 2:45 pm

Thank you joe I’ll give it a try.
JF74chevelle
JF74chevelle
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by pila Sat Dec 23, 2017 3:16 pm

Thanks for that Joe. The pan gasket on my Elco is suffering at the front rubber seal. Maybe one of those PCVs will help !

pila
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 43

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe73 Sat Dec 23, 2017 3:31 pm

Found this on the net.

Pinch or block off the vacuum hose to the PCV valve with the engine idling at operating temperature. ... Pull out the dipstick and connect a vacuum-pressure gauge to the dipstick tube. A typical PCV system should be pulling about 1 to 3 inches of vacuum in the crankcase at idle.
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by fasrnur Sat Dec 23, 2017 4:33 pm

I too had my passenger side hole plugged until a friend of mine that knows way more than me explained that it you don't run a breather on your engine, you'll build up to much internal pressure and cause all kinds of oil leaks, not to mention other issues. I didn't have any majors problems, but I hadn't had it plugged for very long.
fasrnur
fasrnur
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 9

Back to top Go down

Post by JF74chevelle Sat Dec 23, 2017 4:53 pm

fasrnur wrote:I too had my passenger side hole plugged until a friend of mine that knows way more than me explained that it you don't run a breather on your engine, you'll build up to much internal pressure and cause all kinds of oil leaks, not to mention other issues. I didn't have any majors problems, but I hadn't had it plugged for very long.

I definitely be trying it
JF74chevelle
JF74chevelle
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by bracketchev1221 Sat Dec 23, 2017 10:59 pm

If the only valvecover port is under vacuum there has to be a way for air to get in. If not the engine will pull a vacuum on the crankcase until it can pull air in. This usually occurs when a gasket moves due to vacuum.
bracketchev1221
bracketchev1221
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 15

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down