G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

4 wheel disc brakes and 12" front rotors

5 posters

Go down

4 wheel disc brakes and 12" front rotors Empty 4 wheel disc brakes and 12" front rotors

Post by fasrnur Sat Jan 18, 2020 6:54 pm

Ok so here goes.
I know that there are all kinds of kits out there to put 4 wheel disc brakes on these cars. I'm not going to buy any of them. Don't try and talk me out of it. Simple as that!
I've already got the stuff for the rear brakes using all GM parts. 93 Camaro caliper brackets and calipers.
I've purchased a 1" bore master cylinder for a Corvette to get the line pressure I need. The proportion valve is a copy of a GM disc/disc one so I won't need an adjustable valve. I'll have to make new lines for the front. No big deal.  Each side will get a separate line. Simple to do. The rear will get a single line to the T block and run out to Camaro flexable hoses. I'll have to make a bubble flare for the hose end, and an inverted flare for the T end. Again, no big deal.

The real question I have is, has anyone done a big brake conversion on the front using the B-body spindles. I'm going to use spindles from a 78-92 B-body so that I can use the 88-92 Camaro 1LE rotors. I've found a supplier that has the rotors with 7/16th studs already mounted in them. My main concerne is do I have to use a tall ball joint for this swap? And I don't, will I have to do anything to prevent any bump steer with those spindles.

I'm gathering parts over the winter to do this, so I have time to research everything I'll need for this.
Thanks in advance for any advice,
Jeff.....
fasrnur
fasrnur
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 9

Back to top Go down

4 wheel disc brakes and 12" front rotors Empty Re: 4 wheel disc brakes and 12" front rotors

Post by Limey SE Sun Jan 19, 2020 5:56 pm

get with my friend BrownBomber from here on facebook Dan Spencer I believe either him or his Brother did the Big spindles

Anthony
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Street Cred : 97

Back to top Go down

4 wheel disc brakes and 12" front rotors Empty Re: 4 wheel disc brakes and 12" front rotors

Post by impalamonte Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:22 am

I performed the install. Though spindles were from a 95 Caprice.

No alterations other than installing.

"thatfnthing" on this forum has also performed the install.....and running ABS.

Here is some back and forth from earlier on the subject.
https://www.g3gm.com/t12197-b-body-spindles-fully-assembled-ready-to-install-upgrade-your-discs-sold?highlight=spindles
impalamonte
impalamonte
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 18

Back to top Go down

Post by Limey SE Tue Jan 21, 2020 10:15 am

ImpalaMonte how did you get rid of the 5x5 pattern ?

Anthony
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Back to top Go down

Post by impalamonte Tue Jan 21, 2020 11:07 am

I used 1990 Camaro 1LE rotors to maintain the 4 3/4" bolt pattern.

I believe 88-92 Camaro 1LE rotors is the Generation to use when ordering.

impalamonte
impalamonte
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 18

Back to top Go down

Post by Limey SE Tue Jan 21, 2020 11:22 am

impalamonte wrote:I performed the install. Though spindles were from a 95 Caprice.

No alterations other than installing.

"thatfnthing" on this forum has also performed the install.....and running ABS.

Here is some back and forth from earlier on the subject.

https://www.g3gm.com/t12197-b-body-spindles-fully-assembled-ready-to-install-upgrade-your-discs-sold?highlight=spindles

^^^ Made this Subject a sticky Since most everyone would love to know this TY for the Link ImpalaMonte

Anthony
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Back to top Go down

Post by thatfnthing Tue Jan 21, 2020 4:57 pm

Yep, I did it too, but I went with the 91-96 years and stuck with the Impala rotors, as my whole goal was the ABS.  I did upgrade to drilled & slotted, however.  Since I'm crazy and my desired wheel were 5 x 5.5 with 6" backspacing, I knew I was looking at adapters anyway -- from 5 x 5 in the front and from 5 x 4.75 in the rear. Smile

The stock G3 ball joints worked fine with the Impala spindles, and I have no issues with bump steer.  The knuckles are dimensionally the same as the G3, but the actual spindle itself is a larger diameter, and the wheel will be relocated 1/4" inboard.  However, the latter worked in my favor.
thatfnthing
thatfnthing
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 65

Back to top Go down

Post by brownbomber77 Mon Jan 27, 2020 9:35 am

Correct on all accounts. I am using an Impala 2" drop spindle on mine and a heavy spring.

70-78 F body spindle 11" rotor, small bearing, 79-81 11" rotor, big bearing
73-77 A body, 11" rotor, small bearing
77-96 B body WITH 5"x5 bolt spacing, 12" rotor, big bearing
In mid '95 on some taxi, police, and limo they went to a 9/16 ball joint

Use 89-91 F body with performance package (1LE, GTA, IROC) rotor to maintain the 4.75"x5 bolt pattern

So...I know you already have the F-body rear brake stuff, but I have for sale the backing plates and everything necessary to install rear disc brakes (calipers included) on our cars that already have the bolt pattern drilled on the rotors. Advantage is using the factory B-body parking brake cables and hooking right into your factory pedal cable all the way at the front.

brownbomber77
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 4

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down