G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hood Latch

4 posters

G3GM :: G3 Tech :: Body

Go down

Hood Latch Empty Hood Latch

Post by Hawk03 Mon Jan 10, 2022 10:58 pm

My hood latch cable pops out of the latch and breaks the plastic latch retainer clip every time I pull the cable to open the hood. I have to unlatch the hood from underneath to get the hood open. I removed the cable when I removed my old dash to install my new one but not adjust anything else and it worked fine before I removed the cable. Thoughts on what I can adjust to allow the hood to function normally?
Hawk03
Hawk03
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 18

Back to top Go down

Hood Latch Empty Re: Hood Latch

Post by g3chevy / Mr Pontiac Thu Jan 13, 2022 10:11 pm

Hey Hawk, do you have any pictures of the broken clip? The only thing I can think of off the top of my head is did you change the routing of the cable?
g3chevy / Mr Pontiac
g3chevy / Mr Pontiac
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 34

Back to top Go down

Post by Hawk03 Thu Jan 13, 2022 11:18 pm

Thanks g3. I don't have a picture of the broken clip. Below is a link to the clip for reference. I don't think I changed the routing of the cable, it held its default shape over the years so it seems it can only route one way. I didn't think I could mess it up, lol. I must be breaking the clip when I pull the hood lever and the end of the cable breaks through the clip. I don't know if the latch can be adjusted but it probably needs to be somehow.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/253189185164?hash=item3af3405e8c:g:fF0AAOSw4ZNZ07RW
Hawk03
Hawk03
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by Mcarlo77 Fri Jan 14, 2022 3:03 pm

Been scratching my head over this, also.  I've removed many of these at the JY's when salvaging the cables and the subsequent install looks to be pretty much foolproof as long as the latch assembly hasn't been tampered with.  The plastic grommet on the end of the cable sheath at the latch holds the cable in proper position even if it were routed incorrectly...I would think.  Is the cable secured properly on the back of the kick panel, at the firewall and on top of the inner fender liner in case there is slack that causes flexing and not allowing the cable to fully release the latch?  Looking at the one on my Monte, I also don't see how the cable end can easily crack and pull thru the plastic holding clip as the clip is supported on the backside by the small bracket that it clips into.  Just a thought...is that the correct clip?  I've seen several different GM part numbers claiming they fit our year models and makes.
I've never seen a white one on all the '73-'77 cars I've pulled cables from.  Maybe I'm missing something, but I am also confused as to why you felt the need to remove the cable when swapping out the dash?
Mcarlo77
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 77

Back to top Go down

Post by Hawk03 Fri Jan 14, 2022 7:22 pm

I did a few more things the same time I removed the dash. I ran wires to the door for the power locks and had to install the grommet you have to cut the metal behind the kick panel. I also freshen up the paint on the kick panel so it would be same shade/color as the dash.

I have the same thoughts Steve, which is why I can't comprehend why its breaking. The white grommet fits good in the slot. The factory black one I broke as well which is why I bought the white ones. I first thought I broke the cable at the back of the kick panel but it is still connected. The grommet at the firewall is still in place as well and nothing seems loose on the inner fenders. The grommet on the outer black cable that fits into the latch assembly does not come loose either, its just the plastic grommet breaks when I pull the cable. When I move the cable without the hood closed, everything works and looks as it should. I have an extra cable so maybe I just need to install that one and see if the issue persists. The car is in storage so it will be a few months before I can figure this out.
Hawk03
Hawk03
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by fasrnur Sun Jan 16, 2022 11:22 am

When I read that your cable pulls and unlatches your latch when the hood is open Hawk03, my thought is that the latch on your hood isn't aligned correctly ? Just a thought.
fasrnur
fasrnur
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 9

Back to top Go down

Post by Mcarlo77 Sun Jan 16, 2022 12:45 pm

The mystery is that, as I understand it, the hood would unlatch just fine with a pull of the cable handle inside the car before it's removal. No alteration of the position of the latch.
Mcarlo77
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 77

Back to top Go down

Post by Hawk03 Fri Sep 01, 2023 9:49 pm

Mcarlo77 wrote:The mystery is that, as I understand it, the hood would unlatch just fine with a pull of the cable handle inside the car before it's removal.  No alteration of the position of the latch.  

fasrnur wrote:When I read that your cable pulls and unlatches your latch when the hood is open Hawk03, my thought is that the latch on your hood isn't aligned correctly ? Just a thought.

I adjusted the hood latch last weekend and it seems to open easily now and has not broke the plastic clip. Hopefully that fixed the issue.

Hawk03
Hawk03
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down