G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HELP! Buying online - price estimate

+3
zucchi
77camino
rolling_shell
7 posters

Go down

HELP! Buying online - price estimate Empty HELP! Buying online - price estimate

Post by rolling_shell Tue Sep 26, 2023 3:13 am

Hi to all. Looking at buying a '77 Malibu Classic Coupe and have a few questions I was hoping you could all help with.

Car is the following spec: Chev Chevelle Malibu Classic 1977, 250ci six, auto, TH350.

Firstly I do not have the chance to inspect the car - I have the attached photos only. It is a one owner with 69,000 miles. There is some rust as per the pictures and as it is sold from a deceased estate they are not able to get me pictures of engine bay or underbody. It has been parked since 2009 (I have seen the last registration papers) but was regularly serviced and running perfectly well before being parked up.

So my question is - am I crazy to buy it sight unseen without any mechanical inspection? (I get a pretty good feeling that the daughter of the owner is telling me the truth). What are the opinions on the rust? Interior looks like with a solid clean it will come up nice.

Finally the big question - she is open to offers! What is it worth based on the info at hand?

Thanks in advance.HELP! Buying online - price estimate Malibu13
HELP! Buying online - price estimate Malibu14
HELP! Buying online - price estimate Malibu15

Last edited by rolling_shell on Tue Sep 26, 2023 3:23 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Pics)

rolling_shell
G3GM Newbie
G3GM Newbie

Street Cred : 0

Back to top Go down

HELP! Buying online - price estimate Empty Re: HELP! Buying online - price estimate

Post by rolling_shell Tue Sep 26, 2023 3:16 am

HELP! Buying online - price estimate Malibu19
HELP! Buying online - price estimate Malibu20
HELP! Buying online - price estimate Malibu21

rolling_shell
G3GM Newbie
G3GM Newbie

Back to top Go down

HELP! Buying online - price estimate Empty Re: HELP! Buying online - price estimate

Post by rolling_shell Tue Sep 26, 2023 3:18 am

HELP! Buying online - price estimate 321_1010
HELP! Buying online - price estimate 321_1011
HELP! Buying online - price estimate 321_1110

rolling_shell
G3GM Newbie
G3GM Newbie

Back to top Go down

Post by rolling_shell Tue Sep 26, 2023 3:20 am

HELP! Buying online - price estimate 321_7610
HELP! Buying online - price estimate 321_1111
HELP! Buying online - price estimate 321_1910

rolling_shell
G3GM Newbie
G3GM Newbie

Back to top Go down

Post by rolling_shell Tue Sep 26, 2023 3:22 am

HELP! Buying online - price estimate 321_1710
HELP! Buying online - price estimate 321_1911
HELP! Buying online - price estimate 321_2110

rolling_shell
G3GM Newbie
G3GM Newbie

Back to top Go down

Post by rolling_shell Tue Sep 26, 2023 3:23 am

HELP! Buying online - price estimate 321_9310
HELP! Buying online - price estimate 321_1310
HELP! Buying online - price estimate 321_1912

rolling_shell
G3GM Newbie
G3GM Newbie

rolling_shell likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by 77camino Tue Sep 26, 2023 8:38 am

First off, welcome. The car looks very nice and the interior looks great. The vintage phone is cool but it’s a shame they mounted it to what looks like a non-cracked dash. I would be worried about the unknown rust. Is the problem viewing it in person a location thing or the owner will not let you see it. If it’s a location thing maybe someone here is close to it and could check it out for you. Once again not being able to see it and hear it run is a problem. Now if the price is right some of those worries could go away. No one but you can decide on a fair price. Online 77’s can go from a few thousand up to mid 20’s. Best of luck to you.
77camino
77camino
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 8

Back to top Go down

Post by rolling_shell Tue Sep 26, 2023 8:42 am

77camino wrote:First off, welcome.....................

I could jump on a plane of course but it is 600-miles away. I was thinking the same as you that I might just assume some hidden surprises in my offer price. I guess I could look for a mobile mechanic locally to inspect also.

rolling_shell
G3GM Newbie
G3GM Newbie

Back to top Go down

Post by rolling_shell Tue Sep 26, 2023 9:19 am

Was thinking to offer 5,000 as is where is and see if it flies with her. I do like to gamble and the odds seem ok here.

rolling_shell
G3GM Newbie
G3GM Newbie

Back to top Go down

Post by 77camino Tue Sep 26, 2023 9:33 am

I don’t think 5k sounds too bad. The plus is the trim and the interior look great, even if you have to do some bodywork. I would try to check for a mechanic in the area.
77camino
77camino
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by zucchi Tue Sep 26, 2023 9:58 am

You didn't post any photos of the passenger side — ?
Is that a trailer running light next to the Malibu Classic script on the fender? Is that factory or was it added later? If it was added later, why?
The dent looks pretty fresh — hmmm, stored since 2009 yet has a fresh dent.
I agree the dash appears crack-free and it's a non-AC car.
No engine or underbody pix, no video of it running… My suspicious nature was born out of getting burned too many times. It seems like they're trying to hide something, or many things.
I would base an offer price on what its parts that you can see in the photos are valued at.
If the seller sends more photos and a video, then the offer could be amended.
zucchi
zucchi
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 4

Back to top Go down

Post by rolling_shell Tue Sep 26, 2023 10:01 am

zucchi wrote:You didn't post any photos of the passenger side — ?
Is that a trailer running light next to the Malibu Classic script on the fender? Is that factory or was it added later? If it was added later, why?
No engine or underbody pix, no video of it running… My suspicious nature was born out of getting burned too many times. It seems like they're trying to hide something, or many things.
I would base an offer price on what its parts that you can see in the photos are valued at.

Not saying the dent might not be fresh - but she provided the registration papers from 2009 when it was last registered. I will try again for additional pics but seller also does not live locally (deceased father).

rolling_shell
G3GM Newbie
G3GM Newbie

Back to top Go down

Post by 76Chevelle2Tone Tue Sep 26, 2023 12:01 pm

Hi,

The six cylinder engine is what would bother me. Even the coupe is a fairly heavy car. Yes you can drop a V8 into it but lose matching numbers and would require other changes. I agree it is a sweet looking car though.
76Chevelle2Tone
76Chevelle2Tone
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by zucchi Tue Sep 26, 2023 1:33 pm

rolling_shell wrote:…she provided the registration papers from 2009 when it was last registered.
Some states require registration to be current at time of sale which is something you need to look into. For instance, here in Komiefornia, if registration is allowed to lapse, ALL back registration fees AND late fees will need to be paid prior to allowing the legal transfer of the title; this can get really expensive really fast. Fortunately, Komiefornia has a non-operational status where the registration is kept in "stasis" until the car is operational for use on public roads, however, the owner needs to clearly indicate the car will be non-operational on the registration renewal notification and submit that along with a nominal fee. So, regardless of how long the car is in "non-op", reg fees and penalties are suspended.

If the state where the car was last registered is like that, there may be additional costs to clean up the title.
rolling_shell wrote:…seller also does not live locally (deceased father).
Stored since 2009 — at the very least, it will need all rubber (belts, hoses, tires, etc.) replaced. Assume the worst regarding mechanical; brakes, radiator, water pump, engine oil, PS system, transmission…
Look into how much it will cost to clear the title (e.g., $1,500.00) and have the car transported to your house (e.g., $1,800.00) then deduct those costs from your offer. In our current example, if you want to pay $5,000.00, deduct $3,300.00 and make your offer $2,700.00
zucchi
zucchi
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

76Chevelle2Tone and rolling_shell like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by rolling_shell Wed Sep 27, 2023 2:39 am

zucchi wrote:You didn't post any photos of the passenger side — ?

Sorry first time posting so it was a bit difficult to work out how to post pics. I thought I could only post three pictures at a time. Here is some from the other side.

HELP! Buying online - price estimate Malibu28
HELP! Buying online - price estimate Malibu29
HELP! Buying online - price estimate Malibu30
HELP! Buying online - price estimate Malibu32
HELP! Buying online - price estimate Malibu31
HELP! Buying online - price estimate Malibu33
HELP! Buying online - price estimate Malibu34

rolling_shell
G3GM Newbie
G3GM Newbie

Back to top Go down

Post by Iggy Wed Sep 27, 2023 7:39 am

Where is the car located? What does the underside look like? I ask because of the rust; it seems like not much for it's age but also in some unexpected placed. I have had trucks of that year that came from the California Northern Coast and they had some rust, not much by mid-west standards, but also in strange places compared to mid-west cars.
Iggy
Iggy
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 15

Back to top Go down

Post by rolling_shell Wed Sep 27, 2023 9:08 am

Iggy wrote:Where is the car located?  What does the underside look like?  I ask because of the rust; it seems like not much for it's age but also in some unexpected placed.  I have had trucks of that year that came from the California Northern Coast and they had some rust, not much by mid-west standards, but also in strange places compared to mid-west cars.

Car is way up North ;-)
I did not provided any pics of underside or engine bay. I have requested these but the seller is also living remote to the vehicle. So I can try and buy it based on the pics I have or maybe hop on a plane for physical inspection at my own cost.

rolling_shell
G3GM Newbie
G3GM Newbie

Back to top Go down

Post by zucchi Wed Sep 27, 2023 9:18 am

rolling_shell wrote:Car is way up North ;-)
The background in the images kinda look like Canada. Consistent with the interior not being cooked. Chassis will be rusty. May need control arms, trailing arms, etc.
zucchi
zucchi
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Limey SE Wed Sep 27, 2023 3:34 pm

zucchi wrote:
rolling_shell wrote:Car is way up North ;-)
The background in the images kinda look like Canada. Consistent with the interior not being cooked. Chassis will be rusty. May need control arms, trailing arms, etc.

Both my Chevelle's came from Kansas as ev1 knows the one that currently doing now sat in the field since 1984 with no engine transmission till I bought the pair of them they both needed partial floor replacement, but frame wasn't nothing but scaley  rust that brushed off easy I did replace the trailing arms BY MY CHOICE for performance on mine BUT I would have no qualms using them on daughters car they still 100% useable no rot......  

As far as Offers I would start by asking what they think they need for the car first and that will set the tone if You have to make an Offer or Not with mine I paid $3850 for both including the cost of the transportation of Both I am ok with saying that for I know I will never be selling either one so don't have an Issue disclosing that, So with that ask them On the Phone not text what is the amount for what they think what it should be sold for, By stating that have to consider getting it here and Engine and drivetrain are a Gamble from sitting so Long, Don't guilt them Just be honest with them never want to offend said seller then the price goes to the Moon just out of spite.

BUT count on tires, belts, hoses, fuel/brake lines tune up parts at the very least to be needed no matter how fresh they look from sitting they will be dried out I would say 3500 to 4500 would be a fair offer for sight unseen

This is how I found both mine, and the one with no turbines is the current one I am doing

HELP! Buying online - price estimate 9_20_211
HELP! Buying online - price estimate 9_20_210

Anthony
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Street Cred : 97

Back to top Go down

Post by jerry46765 Wed Sep 27, 2023 6:09 pm

$4000 - 4500 - it's kinda clean.... it's a six cylinder which would be a deal breaker for me, but if you are ok with it.... it doesn't look like a bad car. The obvious visual rust would be tough to repair. The reason there is a $500 price window is to adjust for surprises once you look it over in person.

I like the gamble and have purchased a number of cars from pictures, flew in and drove them home. I have never really been burned. Always buy from a private owner and always take cash (you can adjust the price with cash). Will not travel for a rust belt car, east coast or up north. And I am particular about the car's history, if it's been in a rust belt area is a no-go for me.

I have a simple tool kit that I travel with and some basic stuff that I do to the car before hitting the road. Have I patched some tires, or swapped a hose, oh yeah but it was part of the adventure.

Good luck and hope it works out.

jerry46765
jerry46765
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 20

Back to top Go down

Post by 77camino Thu Sep 28, 2023 6:26 am

I personally thinks it’s kind of cool thar it’s a six, not many of those around. Surprisingly it’s a Malibu classic with the six. Also strange it has no a/c, no clock but yet it has the passenger side remote mirror!
77camino
77camino
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by 76Chevelle2Tone Thu Sep 28, 2023 12:24 pm

The passenger side quarter is likely rotted in its lower portion. The driver side looks somewhat better. . Could be due to a leaky trunk.
76Chevelle2Tone
76Chevelle2Tone
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by rolling_shell Sun Oct 01, 2023 4:28 am

77camino wrote:I personally thinks it’s kind of cool thar it’s a six, not many of those around. Surprisingly it’s a Malibu classic with the six. Also strange it has no a/c, no clock but yet it has the passenger side remote mirror!

Thanks to all so far. Actually managed to get someone to provide engine bay pics ..... they are also going to try and get it on a hoist to get some pics of the underbody for me. HELP! Buying online - price estimate Eng110
HELP! Buying online - price estimate Eng210
HELP! Buying online - price estimate Eng310

rolling_shell
G3GM Newbie
G3GM Newbie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down