G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

heater hose reroute

+3
jonny o
Hydro King
coreys73chevelle
7 posters

Go down

heater hose reroute Empty heater hose reroute

Post by coreys73chevelle Sat Aug 30, 2008 7:21 pm

im going to reroute my heater hoses to the inside of the passanger fender along the top and clamp them there, then route them close to the firewall under or on top of the heater box and do custom connectors to the inlets. all with braided lines... anyone else done this yet?
coreys73chevelle
coreys73chevelle
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Street Cred : 8

Back to top Go down

heater hose reroute Empty Re: heater hose reroute

Post by Hydro King Sun Aug 31, 2008 12:32 am

Sounds like a weekend's worth of work.
Hydro King
Hydro King
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 4

Back to top Go down

Post by jonny o Wed Jul 22, 2009 3:01 pm

I know it was a while ago, but if you haven't done this yet, I would be careful of putting lines, even braided stainless under the fender. I would at least wrap that section in a thick rubber hose to keep rocks and crud from breaking your cooling system open where you aren't likely to see it.

Could you go straight down behind the water pump and under the motor to clean up the intake area?

jonny o
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 2

Back to top Go down

Post by 74Malibu383 Wed Jul 22, 2009 4:04 pm

I routed both my heater and AC lines between the inner and outer fender. No rocks or road debris can get in there. I think that's what he might be talking about. It only took a couple of minutes to run the lines through there, definitely not a hard task.
74Malibu383
74Malibu383
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 26

Back to top Go down

Post by jonny o Wed Jul 22, 2009 4:18 pm

Ah in between! Brilliant.
Haven't had inner fenders since I got the car, So I'm not used to that one bit.
Great thinking to clean things up.

jonny o
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 74Malibu383 Wed Jul 22, 2009 5:08 pm

If you don't have inner fenders, wouldn't everything be subject to rocks?

It really did clean things up. I think I have a photo of the motor in the gallery. It's a little old, and have since welded/powder coated the intercooler tubing for a MUCH cleaner look. You can check it out and get the idea though.
74Malibu383
74Malibu383
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by jonny o Wed Jul 22, 2009 5:21 pm

Not sure which piece is which...
I know i have metal for my girl to lean on while she's topping off the trans fluid. No plastic, or liner on inside or out.

Edit... Sorry, x-girl.

Photobucket

Last edited by jonny o on Wed Jul 22, 2009 5:23 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : I forgot.)

jonny o
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 74Malibu383 Wed Jul 22, 2009 5:28 pm

She is leaning on the inner fender. You do have one... same as mine. You route the hoses from where the battery originally was, through the space between the outer and inner and they come out right at the firewall.

The space isn't huge, but it's enough.
74Malibu383
74Malibu383
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by jonny o Wed Jul 22, 2009 5:39 pm

Ahhh.
Gotcha. Thought I was missing a plastic piece or something.

Where do you go from the battery box to the intake and water pump?

jonny o
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 74Malibu383 Wed Jul 22, 2009 5:44 pm

Exactly. Keep them low till you get to the block and shoot upwards for the cleanest look.
74Malibu383
74Malibu383
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by novaderrik Thu Jul 23, 2009 10:15 pm

personally, i think it looks goofy to have hoses that disappear at one spot and reappear at another- looks kind of cheap to me.
the cleanest routing is the stock routing- no need to buy 15 feet of heater hose, just a pair of 4 foot chunks of hose that run neatly next to each other from the engine to the inner fenderwell, then back around the heater box and into the firewall behind the engine.

novaderrik
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 7

Back to top Go down

Post by moneypit73 Fri Jul 24, 2009 12:29 am

i took my heater an a/c box out. a custom sheet of skinny steel covers the hole where it was. but i park mine when it gets cold out.MUCH easier when i put the headers on. an plug checks,too. each there own, though.
moneypit73
moneypit73
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by The Dude Fri Jul 24, 2009 12:41 pm

moneypit73 wrote:i took my heater an a/c box out. a custom sheet of skinny steel covers the hole where it was. but i park mine when it gets cold out.MUCH easier when i put the headers on. an plug checks,too. each there own, though.

I did that on my Cutlass. Who needs a heater anyways? Just tear up the carpet & the engine heat will keep you warm enough, lol. It's a win-win situation. Easier to work under the hood & saves a bunch of weight! I even riveted the little square piece of metal onto the firewall. Next up, the 73 gets the same treatment!

Of course I wouldn't really recommend it on your only driver, but if you live in a warmer climate or have a back-up vehicle, yank out all that junk.
The Dude
The Dude
Management
Management

Street Cred : 48

Back to top Go down

Post by novaderrik Sat Jul 25, 2009 11:27 pm

in MN, a heater is a necessity all year long- even in the summer.
park the car with the windows open during the day when it's 95 degrees out, then go out to the car after dark when it's 65 degrees out, and the inside of the windshield will be fogged up.
without a heater, you wipe it down with whatever you have available, and you have streaks that won't go away until you hit it with some glass cleaner.
with a heater, you just start the car and crank up the defrost. within a minute or two, you can see where you are going and can start driving. a minute or two after that- just as the engine is getting up to temp- you can then shut the heater off totally.

novaderrik
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 7

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down