G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

bumper sink in

+15
Brainstain
BicknellWelding
Buzzman
Cdub74
coreys73chevelle
The Dude
BlackChevelleSS
bigredlaguna
McCauley5983
Hydro King
JB2wheeler
novaderrik
jonny o
Limey SE
Oidar
19 posters

G3GM :: G3 Tech :: Body

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

bumper sink in - Page 3 Empty Re: bumper sink in

Post by The Dude Tue Nov 02, 2010 3:11 pm

Stock 1973 Chevelle front end. From the looks of your avatar, you have a Laguna. Surely someone on here would be willing to trade. I almost would just to have a Laguna front for back up. Basically to answer your question though, all Chevelles came with the chrome bumpers except Laguna models which had the urethane front end like yours. There have been a few different methods for sinking in the bumper, check out the sticky in the body section.
The Dude
The Dude
Management
Management

Street Cred : 48

Back to top Go down

Post by BlackChevelleSS Tue Nov 02, 2010 10:03 pm

BlackChevelleSS wrote:well we got the bumper sunk in without any fabrication we just used the factory brackets and didnt even mess with the shocks and it turned out great. I dont have pics of all what we did but I could type it up if anyones interested.

bumper sink in - Page 3 100_4489

bumper sink in - Page 3 100_4491

bumper sink in - Page 3 100_4492

I miss that car

bumper sink in - Page 3 SIG2
BlackChevelleSS
BlackChevelleSS
Management
Management

Street Cred : 20

Back to top Go down

Post by The Dude Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:26 am

The bad part is that it's just down the road in Claremore & the current owner is a member here. He signs in & looks around, but has never posted or kept us up to date on it. Sad
The Dude
The Dude
Management
Management

Street Cred : 48

Back to top Go down

Post by coreys73chevelle Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:35 pm

my god that looks good even today. sunken bumper malibus are king
coreys73chevelle
coreys73chevelle
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Street Cred : 8

Back to top Go down

Post by Cdub74 Tue Nov 09, 2010 3:26 pm

Rago wrote:Stock 1973 Chevelle front end. From the looks of your avatar, you have a Laguna. Surely someone on here would be willing to trade. I almost would just to have a Laguna front for back up. Basically to answer your question though, all Chevelles came with the chrome bumpers except Laguna models which had the urethane front end like yours. There have been a few different methods for sinking in the bumper, check out the sticky in the body section.
-Thanks Rago, my avatar pic is my car. Im going to keep the stock front end after a swap it out. But if anyone has a front end with a chome bumper, in great shape let me know!!!
Cdub74
Cdub74
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 0

Back to top Go down

bumper sink in - Page 3 Empty RE: Bumper sink-in

Post by Buzzman Sun Nov 04, 2012 12:27 pm

I've gotta do this to my '73

Anybody have a more detailed description (with pics) on having this done? Step-by-step?

I have both the front and rear bumpers off now.
Buzzman
Buzzman
G3GM Newbie
G3GM Newbie

Street Cred : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by Bruisr Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:54 pm

I've done this on my car, there is basically 2 chambers, one full of oil, then another one full of air. Also, after I drilled the 1 hole I went the the other end and drilled another to allow air to help release the air and oil. Then used a mallet to beat the shock where I wanted it to be. On both my cars front and rear, fully compressed is what I ended up doin. No ones wants to get into a collision, but I promise you, those absorbers aren't go to make any difference empty or full, they were only rated for impacts of less than 5 mph if I remember correctly. We all know an impact of 35 mph or better, alot of damage will be a given, those "shocks" wont help much then.
Bruisr
Bruisr
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Bruisr Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:01 pm

I've done this mod to my 74 chevelle and to 2 76 el caminos. And any other G-3 I get in the future!
Bruisr
Bruisr
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

bumper sink in - Page 3 Empty front bumper

Post by Bruisr Sat Jan 19, 2013 12:38 am

https://i.servimg.com/u/f10/18/05/88/16/th/fornt_21.jpg[/img][/url][/img][img]bumper sink in - Page 3 77504110[/img][img]bumper sink in - Page 3 Fornt_23[/img]

Last edited by Bruisr on Sat Jan 19, 2013 1:18 am; edited 2 times in total
Bruisr
Bruisr
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Bruisr Sat Jan 19, 2013 12:52 am

[img]bumper sink in - Page 3 77504211[/img][img]bumper sink in - Page 3 Rear_b11[/img][img]bumper sink in - Page 3 Left_s11[/img]
Bruisr
Bruisr
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by alleyball4 Sat Jan 19, 2013 3:01 am

love it ... plan on doing it to mine ... let's just hope we don't run into anything Very Happy
alleyball4
alleyball4
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 5

Back to top Go down

Post by 77mali Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:43 am

Bruisr wrote:[img]bumper sink in - Page 3 77504211[/img][img]bumper sink in - Page 3 Rear_b11[/img][img]bumper sink in - Page 3 Left_s11[/img]

Looks great!

How hard was the rear & how the heck did you get the sides that tight against the body?
77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 62

Back to top Go down

Post by BicknellWelding Sat Jan 19, 2013 12:09 pm

Looks great, and really well executed. How much did you need to section out to get the sides in? This is on my list of to do's for "Ethel".
BicknellWelding
BicknellWelding
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 3

Back to top Go down

Post by 77mali Sat Jan 19, 2013 12:27 pm

The bumper looks way different than my 77...what's the spacing of the bolt holes on yours?
bumper sink in - Page 3 Dsc01910
77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Brainstain Sat Jan 19, 2013 4:56 pm

74-5 are different than the 76-77. Later years are much bigger and boxier.

Brainstain
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Bruisr Sat Jan 19, 2013 8:53 pm

I took the bumper off the car removed the inner support, only enough to remount to rebound shocks.( not gonna see alot of street use, if so OWELL!) I found a relatively straight piece to mark my cut. Purposely where the bumper jack slot is. I cut the curved corner completely off. Reinstalled bumper(temporarily, where I wanted it positioned) I then took the cut pieces and slid them inside the place where I cut them at. Behind the cut end kinda inside the bumper. I then measured and marked with masking tape and trimmed off approx.1.5 inches from both sides. This got a little tricky, I enlarged the 4 slots that the rebound shocks mount to inner bumper to allow for slight adjustments. Ensuring bumper is centered on car, side to side. I tacked welded the corners back on to trial fit. Several times. Even trimming on the far bottom inside edge where bumper is closest to bottom of quarter panel. After I was satisfied I finished welding, then ground down welds. I have some cleaning up to do yet, but I'm still working on other mods.
Bruisr
Bruisr
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Bruisr Sat Jan 19, 2013 8:59 pm

The bolt spacing on is 11 inches for the 1 on each corner, the rest are 14 inches. Also I needed to trim the section in front of the flip up license plate, I removed about 1/2 wide by whatever the width of the plate is, to get to fuel neck.[img]bumper sink in - Page 3 77504212[/img]
Bruisr
Bruisr
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 77mali Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:10 pm

Thanks, I'll compare mine as well...won't be doing this for a while yet. Hope I can use my filler too. I don't think I'll go as close in but do want to tuck the sides in as close as I can.
77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by dynchel Sun Jan 20, 2013 8:38 am

That looks really nice. Surprised That's exactly what I've wanted to do since i tucked my bumpers 12 years ago. Are you gonna have the bumper rechromed or paint it? Clapp
dynchel
dynchel
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 40

Back to top Go down

Post by Bruisr Sun Jan 20, 2013 7:40 pm

I plan to paint them body color, but that is yrs.down the road. Although I'm undecided on color. Right now I'm contemplating on removing the bolts that can be seen, and filling them in. Not yet figured out how to do this. I've seen it done on Stacy's "trucks" program on TV but don't remember what episode.
Bruisr
Bruisr
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by alleyball4 Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:07 am

when I took my bumper to the chrome shop, he asked if I wanted him to fill in the bumper bolt holes. It sounds like they just weld up the holes, grind it flush, and chrome or paint over it.

I haven't rechromed my bumper yet, but I agree with you; I do like the look with no bumper bolts.
alleyball4
alleyball4
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 5

Back to top Go down

Post by dynchel Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:41 am

alleyball4 wrote:when I took my bumper to the chrome shop, he asked if I wanted him to fill in the bumper bolt holes. It sounds like they just weld up the holes, grind it flush, and chrome or paint over it.

I haven't rechromed my bumper yet, but I agree with you; I do like the look with no bumper bolts.
The process is to grind the round heads off the carriage bolts and weld them in, ( the square part) then the outside is smoothed and rechromed. The bolts have to be there to hold the chrome piece to the internal brace.
dynchel
dynchel
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 40

Back to top Go down

Post by alleyball4 Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:40 am

thanks dynchel ... I did not know that
alleyball4
alleyball4
Donating Member