G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fuel Guage quit working + Idiot Light Question

+4
coreys73chevelle
ant7377
Hydro King
Oidar
8 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Fuel Guage quit working + Idiot Light Question Empty Fuel Guage quit working + Idiot Light Question

Post by Oidar Fri Sep 26, 2008 12:34 am

Today, I looked down, and the needle on my gas guage was pointing to about 3 o'clock, or half a tank past full!

Never seen this before. Guage, sending unit or wiring? Opinions? Guesses?

Sounds like a good excuse to replace the idiot light cluster with tach & guages if I can find 'em.

Also, aren't the idiot lights supposed to light up when you turn the key to "On" to show they're working? Only my "Oil" light comes on.
Oidar
Oidar
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 0

Back to top Go down

Fuel Guage quit working + Idiot Light Question Empty Re: Fuel Guage quit working + Idiot Light Question

Post by Hydro King Fri Sep 26, 2008 11:09 am

sending unit went bad
Hydro King
Hydro King
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 4

Back to top Go down

Fuel Guage quit working + Idiot Light Question Empty Re: Fuel Guage quit working + Idiot Light Question

Post by Oidar Fri Sep 26, 2008 1:53 pm

Today I got in it to run over to the bank, and I'll be damned if it hadn't cured itself! Smile
Oidar
Oidar
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by BlackChevelleSS Fri Sep 26, 2008 3:46 pm

means either theres a short in the circut or the sending unit is getting worn out.

Fuel Guage quit working + Idiot Light Question SIG2
BlackChevelleSS
BlackChevelleSS
Management
Management

Street Cred : 20

Back to top Go down

Post by Hydro King Fri Sep 26, 2008 4:05 pm

mine went bad back in the day, i just tried to calculate my milage according to gas put in.. that sucked.
Hydro King
Hydro King
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 4

Back to top Go down

Post by orange Juiced Wed Jan 21, 2009 2:21 am

I'm having the same problem as Oidar. But i think replacing the sending unit will also solve my other problem that i'm having.

Maybe u guys can help me out.

Every so often my car dies out like if it ran out of gas, even with the tank almost full. If the car sits more then a day, I need to add starting fluid direct to the carb for it to turn over. I replaced the fuel pump twice, i installed a new carb, replaced the fuel line from the pump to carb, and added a new inline fuel filter.

since i have my hydraulic pumps in the way, i only found one access door. Its right in the middle, but that doesn't accress anything. is there an access door from the trunk to get the sending unit? i really don't want to drop the tank since its full, but i think i'm going to have to
orange Juiced
orange Juiced
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 9

Back to top Go down

Post by BlackChevelleSS Wed Jan 21, 2009 2:56 am

tank is pretty easy to drop, use a block of wood and a floor jack to lower the tank. There is no access from the trunk.
There is a filter sock on the end of the pickup tube in the tank that could be getting stopped up. Im pretty sure that you can get a new sock from the parts store.

BlackChevelleSS
BlackChevelleSS
Management
Management

Back to top Go down

Fuel Guage quit working + Idiot Light Question Empty i always wondered

Post by coreys73chevelle Wed Jan 21, 2009 6:17 pm

how do you pronounce that brand?
coreys73chevelle
coreys73chevelle
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Street Cred : 8

Back to top Go down

Fuel Guage quit working + Idiot Light Question Empty in agreement here

Post by Limey SE Wed Jan 21, 2009 6:23 pm

BlackChevelleSS wrote:tank is pretty easy to drop, use a block of wood and a floor jack to lower the tank. There is no access from the trunk.
There is a filter sock on the end of the pickup tube in the tank that could be getting stopped up. Im pretty sure that you can get a new sock from the parts store.
i agree with black on this one you have to drop the tank on this problem the sock is more than likely getting/allready plugged up the start fluid will eventually quit working also its a cheap fix ..........and it dies prob when the sock get total blockage and then when the pressure goes away from the sock it falls away again ......sounds like you have a really corroded gas tank on the inside

Anthony
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Street Cred : 97

Back to top Go down

Post by ant7377 Wed Jan 21, 2009 7:57 pm

Could it be that the rubber line from the tank to the hard line has a pinhole leak?
ant7377
ant7377
G3GM Addict
G3GM Addict

Street Cred : 36

Back to top Go down

Post by orange Juiced Wed Jan 21, 2009 9:55 pm

Ok, so it looks like its bigger then what i thought it would be. for sure i will replace the sock and will check to see if the rubber line needs replacement.

Should i still replace sending unit?

And by removing the sending unit, i should be able to see if the tank is corroded, right?

Thanks guys for ur input, i really don't know to much about engine work but i still try to do as much as i can.

This sounds fairly easy and thanks BLack for block idea
orange Juiced
orange Juiced
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by BlackChevelleSS Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:27 pm

I would go ahead an replace all the fuel lines with alcohol compatiable ones while you have the tank down.

BlackChevelleSS
BlackChevelleSS
Management
Management

Back to top Go down

Post by orange Juiced Wed Jan 21, 2009 11:58 pm

BlackChevelleSS wrote:I would go ahead an replace all the fuel lines with alcohol compatiable ones while you have the tank down.

Yeah your right, better do it now while its down.
orange Juiced
orange Juiced
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by coreys73chevelle Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:14 pm

coreys73chevelle wrote:how do you pronounce that brand?

anyone???
coreys73chevelle
coreys73chevelle
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Back to top Go down

Post by BlackChevelleSS Fri Jan 23, 2009 12:28 am

brand of what?

BlackChevelleSS
BlackChevelleSS
Management
Management

Back to top Go down

Post by coreys73chevelle Fri Jan 23, 2009 5:43 pm

this brand

http://www.jegs.com/v/Ididit/535

sorry thought that was supposed to be ididit not idiot but still wondering
coreys73chevelle
coreys73chevelle
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Limey SE Fri Jan 23, 2009 6:04 pm

pronounced ------- I ---DID----IT-------- meaning you installed yourself

Anthony
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Back to top Go down

Post by orange Juiced Sat Jan 24, 2009 4:28 pm

Ok I dropped the tank this morning....How do you remove the sending unit? I tried tapping it with a flathead and hammer, and it doesnt even move a bit. is there some type of special tool i need, or is it locked in place?????

Hoses are all dry rot and one of them is peeling apart, scary!!!!

Also i found some paper work from the factory that's pertty cool.
orange Juiced
orange Juiced
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by BlackChevelleSS Sat Jan 24, 2009 7:46 pm

the paper on top of the gas tank is probably a build sheet....Very Cool!

The sending unit has a retaining ring with tabs sticking up, you have to use a chisel and a hammer and lightly tap the retaining ring around till it pops loose. Its not easy but just keep working at it and youll eventually get it figured out. I bet those fuel lines were your problem, the pump is sucking air through a pinhole and causing fuel pressure to drop off.

BlackChevelleSS
BlackChevelleSS
Management
Management

Back to top Go down

Post by Limey SE Sat Jan 24, 2009 8:35 pm

yea the infamous build sheet thats always the last place you figure on !!!! and if them hoses are rotted i will guarentee thats your problem but since your tank is down allready do the cure all and kill two birds with one stone and replace the sending unit

Anthony
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Back to top Go down

Post by orange Juiced Sat Jan 24, 2009 11:47 pm

Fuel Guage quit working + Idiot Light Question Scan0001

I guess theres 2 build sheets under the tank, the other one is worse then this one.....i couldn't belive this was there when i dropped the tank. I'm thinking of framing it and hang it in my garage just for sh!ts and giggles.

it took me awhile, i couldn't tell where the gas tank ended and retaining ring started. yeah u have hit it pretty hard to knock it loose.

One of my friends was telling me i should hot tank the gas tank, anyone done this or heard of this? Is it worth it? I checked inside and there's no corrosion in it, its very soild.
orange Juiced
orange Juiced
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by coreys73chevelle Sat Jan 24, 2009 11:59 pm

yep frame it, if i find mine in good condition im going to frame it in glass and have it at shows
coreys73chevelle
coreys73chevelle
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Back to top Go down

Post by coreys73chevelle Sun Jan 25, 2009 12:00 am

never heard of hot tanking a fuel tank but i guess it would work????? id like to know too im dropping my tank tomorrow
coreys73chevelle
coreys73chevelle
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Limey SE Sun Jan 25, 2009 12:55 am

YOU CAN HOT TANK IT BUT POR 15 WILL HAVE THE SMAE RESULT AND LOT CHEAPER AND IT SEALS IT JUST IN THE ODD CHANCE YOU HAVE ANY PIN HOLES IN IT

Anthony
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Back to top Go down

Post by orange Juiced Sun Jan 25, 2009 1:01 am

is this the one u use?
Fuel Guage quit working + Idiot Light Question TS_TankSealer_300
orange Juiced
orange Juiced
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next