G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

how to tell short from long water pump for Chevy

4 posters

Go down

how to tell short from long water pump for Chevy Empty how to tell short from long water pump for Chevy

Post by Limey SE Mon Feb 28, 2011 12:00 am

most already know this is for the newbies to to cars ( I know lame but some of the newbies to cars didnt know this )

how to tell short from long water pump for Chevy Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQn9xPxKLlS6ejU5oLRfpeObwbaxfw3a4k0TEsI1wC8jibi0DmE

Anthony
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Street Cred : 97

Back to top Go down

how to tell short from long water pump for Chevy Empty Re: how to tell short from long water pump for Chevy

Post by IndyG3 Mon Feb 28, 2011 12:28 am

I've always used a really quick way of checking if I'm not sure. I try to stick my hand behind the water pump, and if it goes behind the water pump, it's a long style, and I can't fit my hand behind a short water pump.
EDIT: This is when the pump's mounted on an engine.
I guess you could say that it's pretty..."handy"...
IndyG3
IndyG3
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 11

Back to top Go down

how to tell short from long water pump for Chevy Empty Re: how to tell short from long water pump for Chevy

Post by Limey SE Mon Feb 28, 2011 12:30 am

ha ha LOL yea you can funny guy 40.5 hours and counting INDY

Anthony
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Back to top Go down

Post by IndyG3 Mon Feb 28, 2011 12:41 am

40.5 hours you say? You better post some flippin' pics!Like, immediately and stuff!
IndyG3
IndyG3
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by Jedediah Mon Feb 28, 2011 12:58 am

I am not really new to cars and i wasnt to sure what the difference was. I wrenched next to my dad but never really got a feel since he was always working on a different car and then selling it. I just know basics like ask the parts guy what you need. Is one better then the other?
Jedediah
Jedediah
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 4

Back to top Go down

Post by Limey SE Mon Feb 28, 2011 12:59 am

yuppers the truck is dropping off campers first thing in morning in Lubock then going to grab her, , then to OK City for a mercedes ( NOT MINE ) and then to me by late tuesday afternoon barring any bad weather

Anthony
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Back to top Go down

Post by IndyG3 Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:47 am

Jedediah wrote:I am not really new to cars and i wasnt to sure what the difference was. I wrenched next to my dad but never really got a feel since he was always working on a different car and then selling it. I just know basics like ask the parts guy what you need. Is one better then the other?

From what I remember, I think it's more of a matter of freeing up some space. I think Corvettes primarily used short water pumps to make extra room, while most of GM's other cars used the long style. Of course, someone can correct me if I'm mistaken.

As for the performance, I'd imagine they'd perform about the same, and it would depend on the quality of pump that you had.
IndyG3
IndyG3
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by The Dude Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:35 am

AFAIK, all SBC from 66 (?) & older ran short water pumps & then they switched to the long style other than Corvette. Not sure if Monza had long or short, but I assume that short would make more sense in such a small car.
The Dude
The Dude
Management
Management

Street Cred : 48

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down