G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Springs and shocks

+2
bigredlaguna
Limey SE
6 posters

Go down

Springs and shocks Empty Springs and shocks

Post by 1973 Buick Century Fri May 20, 2011 12:33 am

So my '73 Buick looked like it was squatting in the back, much like a dog taking a poop on your lawn. So after doing some talking and trading with Anthony (Limey), I got rear HD coupe springs. I went to my auto parts store, got some shocks, and a spring compressor kit. Now it dose not look at all saggy and I also removed the "creaking" rear aftermarket sway bar. Darn thing sounded like a old house at night. I'm sure you can lube it up or something but since I am not trailer towing or sport driving it, I found no need for it.

BTW Anthony is a GREAT trader. Thanks again man for the springs!

Springs and shocks Photo0060

Springs and shocks Photo0062

Springs and shocks Photo0063

Left: HD coupe Right: original

Springs and shocks Photo0064

Springs and shocks Photo0065

Springs and shocks Photo0069

Springs and shocks Photo0070

Springs and shocks Photo0071

1973 Buick Century
1973 Buick Century
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 0

Back to top Go down

Springs and shocks Empty Re: Springs and shocks

Post by Limey SE Fri May 20, 2011 12:46 am

no problem glad I could help you brother let me when you wanna take the rest of them parts we talked about LOL more space YAY for me

Anthony
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Street Cred : 97

Back to top Go down

Post by bigredlaguna Fri May 20, 2011 1:44 am

No wonder the sway bar was creaking. Yikes!
bigredlaguna
bigredlaguna
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Street Cred : 53

Back to top Go down

Post by Fishgrinder Fri May 20, 2011 4:07 am

Nice!

It would be cool if you made a step by step guide for this operation. I'm about to do it my self i a month or so.

Fishgrinder
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 4

Back to top Go down

Post by 1973 454 MONTE Fri May 20, 2011 6:57 am

just a ?,but were the new springs that stiff that you needed a spring compressor for the rears. i heard of one being needed for the fronts. but ive never needed a compressor for the rears. just wondering... Very Happy
in the past i undo the shocks and let the rear end hang.than put jack under one drum and jack up till the spring fits. than repeat the other side. put jack back in the middle and redo the shocks.
Thumbs up

the car does sit nice.
Beer
1973 454 MONTE
1973 454 MONTE
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 36

Back to top Go down

Post by The Dude Fri May 20, 2011 9:44 am

Wonder if that's a homemade sway bar? Never seen one so poorly made.

Chris, I doubt that the compressor was needed. Probably just a precaution. I only needed a large screwdriver to install my lift springs & that was just to help guide the spring over the lower axle mount cup.

Fishgrinder, this is a very simple project that takes an hour tops. Support the car on jackstands then lift the rear axle to remove the shocks. Let the rear droop & pull out the old springs. Install in reverse order & don't be afraid to use a pry bar to help coax them over the cup. Believe me when I say that you won't put enough pressure on them to make them shoot out like the fronts would. Also DON'T try to do this method on the fronts! They DO need a compressor. Blow Up
The Dude
The Dude
Management
Management

Street Cred : 48

Back to top Go down

Post by 1973 Buick Century Fri May 20, 2011 11:28 am

1973 454 MONTE wrote:just a ?,but were the new springs that stiff that you needed a spring compressor for the rears. i heard of one being needed for the fronts. but ive never needed a compressor for the rears. just wondering... Very Happy
in the past i undo the shocks and let the rear end hang.than put jack under one drum and jack up till the spring fits. than repeat the other side. put jack back in the middle and redo the shocks.
Thumbs up

Yep. The new springs were pretty stiff. This was the first time I had to use spring compressors. I unbolted the shock at the lower mount and let the axle hang. I had done this to my '78 Country Squire a year or so ago, it was pretty much the same set up. Heck, all my station wagons from my '78 Corolla to my '83 Volvo 245 I have had to replace the rear springs/shocks. People drive wagons into the ground, literally!
Shocked
1973 Buick Century
1973 Buick Century
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 1973 Buick Century Fri May 20, 2011 11:32 am

Fishgrinder wrote:Nice!

It would be cool if you made a step by step guide for this operation. I'm about to do it my self i a month or so.

As Rago stated, it pretty simple in the rear. I would suck at a write up, since I am not much of a writer. How I made it in college, lots of good friends that knew how to write!
1973 Buick Century
1973 Buick Century
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Fishgrinder Sun May 22, 2011 6:00 pm

Allright, seems simple enough Smile

Fishgrinder
G3GM Member
G3GM Member