G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

1973 Chevelle Build found on TC...

+5
Biomedtech
Roadcaptain S3
74MonteCarlo
Jedediah
pila
9 posters

Go down

1973 Chevelle Build found on TC... Empty 1973 Chevelle Build found on TC...

Post by 74MonteCarlo Tue Jul 05, 2011 2:50 pm

http://www.chevelles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=305042

74MonteCarlo
G3GM Fanatic
G3GM Fanatic

Street Cred : 17

Back to top Go down

1973 Chevelle Build found on TC... Empty Re: 1973 Chevelle Build found on TC...

Post by pila Tue Jul 05, 2011 3:23 pm

Most of the guys on that site could care less about the cars we like. That's OK, 'cause I'm not interested in their tastes either Smile

pila
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 43

Back to top Go down

Post by 74MonteCarlo Tue Jul 05, 2011 3:39 pm

I like the earlier gen. Chevelles...they're just too common.

My dad has had his '70 since 1982...

74MonteCarlo
G3GM Fanatic
G3GM Fanatic

Back to top Go down

Post by Biomedtech Tue Jul 05, 2011 9:26 pm

Surprised to see the number of compliments about the car on TC. Maybe they are finally moving away from the darkside! Twisted Evil
Biomedtech
Biomedtech
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 5

Back to top Go down

Post by Jedediah Wed Jul 06, 2011 12:44 am

I like em they are too expensive here for me to get one and I like varity with my cars.
Jedediah
Jedediah
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 4

Back to top Go down

Post by Roadcaptain S3 Wed Jul 06, 2011 7:55 am

Most of the 64-72 guys have come around in the last couple of years, a lot of them are buying 73-77s now.

Still a few holdout snobby types, but getting to be fewer of them all of the time.

Roadcaptain S3
Roadcaptain S3
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 26

Back to top Go down

Post by The Dude Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:26 am

Roadcaptain S3 wrote:.......a lot of them are buying 73-77s now.

^^^ Isn't that a bad thing?

Oh well, at least we will have more aftermarket support when they start rolling across BJ Auctions.
The Dude
The Dude
Management
Management

Street Cred : 48

Back to top Go down

Post by 74MonteCarlo Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:32 am

You see more piping up now, saying they had one years ago.

74MonteCarlo
G3GM Fanatic
G3GM Fanatic

Back to top Go down

Post by 74MonteCarlo Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:33 am

Rago wrote:

Oh well, at least we will have more aftermarket support when they start rolling across BJ Auctions.

Time to switch to Pacers & Gremlins! alien Cool

74MonteCarlo
G3GM Fanatic
G3GM Fanatic

Back to top Go down

Post by Roadcaptain S3 Wed Jul 06, 2011 10:18 am

Yeah, could be a bad thing, or a good thing.

I love the fact that the slowpokes are starting to come around and appreciate what they've been missing, but I don't want the prices going up too much either.

Roadcaptain S3
Roadcaptain S3
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Roadcaptain S3 Wed Jul 06, 2011 10:20 am

74MonteCarlo wrote:
Rago wrote:

Time to switch to Pacers & Gremlins! alien Cool

Rode in many Gremlins and Pacers as a youngster, along with Chevettes and their ilk.
Not an experience I care to repeat as a middle aged Ward Cleaver type.
Roadcaptain S3
Roadcaptain S3
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by The Dude Wed Jul 06, 2011 10:54 am

I got my car [for life!], but if I didn't already have it & the prices started to soar on these too much I'd just go back to Eclipses. I'm ready for the beatings to proceed, lol!

Then again, I might have considered just moving to Caprices after owning one. Similar weight (depending on your source), comfortable, same underpinnings, & cheap. I'd rather have a two door (not easy to find), but not a bad alternative for something that is likely to never increase in value.
The Dude
The Dude
Management
Management

Back to top Go down

Post by Roadcaptain S3 Wed Jul 06, 2011 11:02 am

Don't bet on the Cappy value thing, have you seen this?

http://www.barrett-jackson.com/application/onlinesubmission/lotdetails.aspx?ln=363.2&aid=423&pop=0

$217,000. I am not making that up.

If someone can get 1/4 mil for that, anything is possible.
Roadcaptain S3
Roadcaptain S3
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 77mali Wed Jul 06, 2011 12:24 pm

Applause for this guy's creativity and hard work. 3rd Gen's are more stylish & luxurious (of course that's a matter of opinion) & I think they handle much better too. While the previous gen came w/ more HP they were not bound by the environmental restrictions that came about in 73-74. If our cars did not have to "comply"...imagine what would have been. I think that's why the 73-77 a bodies are so often hot-roded & customized. These cars are the 57 Bel-Airs of my generation. I love them! Didn't mean to rant but can't stand some of the "snobbery" of most websites for the 68-72 models. Jacking
77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 62

Back to top Go down

Post by Biomedtech Wed Jul 06, 2011 11:21 pm

I just laugh at folks when they go on their 64-72 rants and then whip out my 'ol standard? Why would you want something that so many others have? I kinda tend to throw out the old adage:

What do Mustangs (insert 64-72 chevelles as the situation presents itself) and hemorrhoids have in common?

Lots of a$$holes have em!

That usually shuts them up!
Biomedtech
Biomedtech
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 5

Back to top Go down

Post by TWBouska AKA Wooderson Thu Jul 07, 2011 12:33 am

77mali wrote:Applause for this guy's creativity and hard work. 3rd Gen's are more stylish & luxurious (of course that's a matter of opinion) & I think they handle much better too. While the previous gen came w/ more HP they were not bound by the environmental restrictions that came about in 73-74. If our cars did not have to "comply"...imagine what would have been. I think that's why the 73-77 a bodies are so often hot-roded & customized. These cars are the 57 Bel-Airs of my generation. I love them! Didn't mean to rant but can't stand some of the "snobbery" of most websites for the 68-72 models. Jacking

i hear you there man, and i agree with you. honestly we have 2 70 chevelles and a 72 el camino in the family, ive driven them all and i will say that id take mine over them anytime, our cars are more comfortable, handle better, and i think the earlier ones have more blind spots in them, my 74 has none, our 72 elco has a lot.
TWBouska AKA Wooderson
TWBouska AKA Wooderson
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 6

Back to top Go down

Post by JB2wheeler Thu Jul 07, 2011 11:12 am

One aspect of the popularity of the 64/72 Chevelles was that they could be bought from the factory with high horsepower engines and 73/77 Chevelles had to settle with reduced HP engines. Well, I am pushing 600 HP, so that ends that argument right there. Yeh, it did not come from the factory that way, but I got it. One big differance between 64/72 and 73/77 is the width, which adds extra weight, but in a way that is good because most of that extra width is in the wheelwells where bigger tires can be fitted. JB
JB2wheeler
JB2wheeler
G3GM Fanatic
G3GM Fanatic

Street Cred : 28

Back to top Go down

Post by The Dude Thu Jul 07, 2011 11:51 am

The log style bumpers are another argument that we have proven to overcome. Seems as if the smog equipment and extra weight are always the biggest thing that the early gen guys don't like. JB pointed out the obvious solution to one of those problems. The weight difference isn't really as bad as some people make it out to be. Just trimming the bumpers down, an apple to apple comparison of a 68-72 vs 73-77 car is gonna be negligible. No matter what, we still have them beat on handling and ride comfort.

Don't get me wrong, my list of top 5 favorite A Body cars includes a 70 Chevelle and a 65 442. I've owned just as many OBS as I have G3s & would LOVE to have a 65 Olds sometime down the road. Then again, a 73 W-30 sounds almost as nice.....
The Dude
The Dude
Management
Management

Back to top Go down

Post by 77mali Thu Jul 07, 2011 1:04 pm

Don't get me wrong, I'm not hating on the cars....but a seemingly large number of folks who dismiss the 73-77 A bodies as lesser cars. You see the same thing w/ corvette owners who dismiss cars from about 74 through 82 and pretend that vette's were not even made from 84 until the 1st ZR-1's came out in 90 or 91. Usually when I got to a show or cruise night, people are very nice and love to tell you about their cars. One of the biggest "Car Snob's" I've ever met had and 70 LS-6 (unbelievable car)...and there was a guy 2 car's down w/ a 73 SS...the real deal too. The dude w/ the 70 was talking to his buddy saying stuff like..."That one only came w/ 225 HP... I could buy 20 of those for what I paid for mine"...(You get the picture.)
I hate our bumpers too though! LOL. Planing on cutting & welding back the ends closer to the frame...anyone who's done it...please post your pics somewhere. That's my only complaint about them...again...another Federal Regulation, screwing things up.
77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by The Dude Thu Jul 07, 2011 2:15 pm

Bumpers have been done on here by a few of us. Here's the sticky that includes all of the threads about it (found in G3Tech > Body). Lots of info in here & some pics of finished products.

https://www.g3gm.com/t2745-bumper-sink-in

Also some quick shots of my front bumper. I'll try to get out there and take better ones soon.

The Dude
The Dude
Management
Management

Back to top Go down

Post by 77mali Thu Jul 07, 2011 4:08 pm

Awesome job they look great Rago...Thanx!
77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down