G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

1977 Chevelle Malibu Classic Progress Photo's aka Mali

+40
pila
dynchel
Mcarlo77
Joe73
driveit
Hawk03
Fishgrinder
1973 454 MONTE
bracketchev1221
Limey SE
chevellelaguna
1973montec
Bruisr
bigredlaguna
jerry46765
BicknellWelding
geoff528
2fat2fly
Jim_Rockford
DiscoMalibu
Brainstain
Laguna Budman
Dubie
74MonteCarlo
JB2wheeler
WyldeBill66
Wallyuph
dragons_lair59
77ElClassic
Dead Man
Graham Perkins
jrb75
chromereverse
Checyxtc
74Guna
texan01
abajc3
JiMi_DRiX
orange Juiced
HDHugger
44 posters

Page 12 of 27 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 19 ... 27  Next

Go down

1977 Chevelle Malibu Classic Progress Photo's aka Mali - Page 12 Empty Re: 1977 Chevelle Malibu Classic Progress Photo's aka Mali

Post by 77mali Thu Aug 23, 2012 8:32 am

Did some more paint experimentation:

This is Duplicolor flat black enamel over Por 15 & sealed with Duplicolor Acrylic Lacquer clear. (Used flash to get the color closer to what it actually looks like as it looks darker in the shade).

1977 Chevelle Malibu Classic Progress Photo's aka Mali - Page 12 P1040010

Water pump is Duplicolor semi gloss engine enamel.

1977 Chevelle Malibu Classic Progress Photo's aka Mali - Page 12 P1040011
77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 62

Back to top Go down

1977 Chevelle Malibu Classic Progress Photo's aka Mali - Page 12 Empty Re: 1977 Chevelle Malibu Classic Progress Photo's aka Mali

Post by Dead Man Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:42 am

looking good, but where did you find a new trans tunnel ? or is that just a shinny paint job over the old lol.
Dead Man
Dead Man
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 4

Back to top Go down

Post by 77ElClassic Thu Aug 23, 2012 1:35 pm

I love that Duplicolor. Most of my chassis was done with Duplicolor low-gloss black engine enamel. Almost 15 years now. Holds up real well.
77ElClassic
77ElClassic
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 5

Back to top Go down

Post by 77mali Thu Aug 23, 2012 2:36 pm

77ElClassic wrote:I love that Duplicolor. Most of my chassis was done with Duplicolor low-gloss black engine enamel. Almost 15 years now. Holds up real well.

Awesome paint- love the nozzles too makes the paint come out almost just like a spray gun. Excellent coverage over the Por15.

73ssbb wrote:looking good, but where did you find a new trans tunnel ? or is that just a shinny paint job over the old lol.

Haven't touched the trans tunnel- that's original sheet metal. Very Happy
77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 77mali Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:06 am

Picking up the engine assembly Weds. hopefully, will edit in a couple pics here.

WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 77mali Wed Sep 05, 2012 5:51 pm

77mali wrote:Picking up the engine assembly Weds. hopefully, will edit in a couple pics here.

WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

I know it's kind of a tease but I don't want any dirt to get into the engine...LOL. I'm going to get a big pallet bag to cover it up when I finish off the cam & top end. Will post better pics & of re-assembly when I'm ready to take the stretch wrap off. Very Happy

1977 Chevelle Malibu Classic Progress Photo's aka Mali - Page 12 P1040410

Nice & Clean...he ended up putting on my guide plates in addition to the head install...still alot to do on it & I'll have to wait some until the engine bay & suspension/steering are complete (while the weather is warm).

1977 Chevelle Malibu Classic Progress Photo's aka Mali - Page 12 P1040411
77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by dragons_lair59 Wed Sep 05, 2012 8:16 pm

looking good
dragons_lair59
dragons_lair59
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 11

Back to top Go down

Post by DiscoMalibu Wed Sep 05, 2012 10:34 pm

Keepin' the engine black?
DiscoMalibu
DiscoMalibu
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 7

Back to top Go down

Post by 77mali Wed Sep 05, 2012 11:26 pm

Thanks Sam- I havn't even seen beyond what I posted...I hope the rest is as nice.

Yes Disco- black is beautiful afro
77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 1973 454 MONTE Thu Sep 06, 2012 4:34 pm

I once had a purple motor in my other 73.
1973 454 MONTE
1973 454 MONTE
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 36

Back to top Go down

Post by DiscoMalibu Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:19 pm

Eh, this is my honest opinion but wont black make the motor just kinda blend in with the rest of the engine bay? They motor should pop and really stand out. I went with orginal GM engine blue to really make the thing stand out. Everything in the bay is semi-gloss black. This is going to make the blue engine the focal point of the engine bay.
DiscoMalibu
DiscoMalibu
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 7

Back to top Go down

Post by 77mali Fri Sep 07, 2012 7:17 am

I'm not a fan of the corporate blue or orange...(or purple lol).

There are all types of shades (or depths) of black. Very Happy
77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 1973montec Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:01 pm

my 400 was kinda the color of my car. Crying or Very sad not mine anymore Sad
1973montec
1973montec
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 17

Back to top Go down

Post by 77mali Fri Sep 07, 2012 5:08 pm

That was a nice Monte Sad
77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 77mali Sat Sep 15, 2012 8:17 pm

Spent the last few weekends re-sanding the roof down to bare metal this time. It was alot of work. Noticed more than a few spots gone bad as the primer was on for way too long without paint & car is not garaged so it's exposed to moisture & humidity even though it's covered all the time.

1977 Chevelle Malibu Classic Progress Photo's aka Mali - Page 12 P1040110

1977 Chevelle Malibu Classic Progress Photo's aka Mali - Page 12 P1040111

1977 Chevelle Malibu Classic Progress Photo's aka Mali - Page 12 P1040415

I originally used a product that was supposed to stop rust from the local Autozone but it didn't do what it said it would. This was done before I knew about the Por15...fairly early on in this process (see page 1 LOL!).

The plan is to use the Por15- after clean & prep with their "Metal Ready" which I used on my rear bumpers- I was more than happy with the result. Applying 2 coats and then a top coat of their "Blackote" top coat paint for UV protection until the car is painted. One good thing is that after cutting though all the layers- it's pretty darn straight. A few spots will need filling were the rust came back but I also have the new Por15 "Paste" filler and a "professional" body filler that a friend hooked me up with from his work. Still a bit more sanding and then some 'buffing" to do prior to the coatings but- I'll never have to do it again or worry about rust on that darn roof.

1977 Chevelle Malibu Classic Progress Photo's aka Mali - Page 12 P1040413

1977 Chevelle Malibu Classic Progress Photo's aka Mali - Page 12 P1040414
77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Mcarlo77 Sun Sep 16, 2012 4:00 am

Always sucks to have to go back and redo something you've spent hours and hours on initially. Am curious about the POR 15 paste. I've started sanding the trunk pan on the 'Guna as it is moon-cratered and has some pin holes in the lower pan area from moisture leaking in. Did the usual disc sanding, large wire wheel and then used the Dremel wire wheels to get down into the "craters". Think I've kept Dremel in business this summer with all the wire wheels I've used cleaning up parts. Anyway, I found large sized tubes of JB Weld at Autozone and used that as a skim coat to fill and even things out. Figured it's more durable than Bondo and it seemed to spread pretty well. I know it isn't as easy to sand, but I think it's stronger. Is the POR 15 paste a similar item? I'm going to use POR 15 on the underside once I drop the tank.
Mcarlo77
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 77

Back to top Go down

Post by 77mali Sun Sep 16, 2012 8:26 am

The paste version of the Por 15 (Por Patch) is not an epoxy and is a single component material, unlike the JB weld. It is Por 15 in a thickened state with some sort of filler added. They caution you not to use it on the "exterior" of your car in "finish" work as they claim it is very difficult to sand once cured and gets rock hard. They show it being used as a seam sealer around a door jamb where there is some rust & rot that has partially made it through the steel. IMO- the JB weld is fine to use as you are however, it is not a rust preventative so the rust might come back eventually and do what it did here in my case. At least now I won't have to worry about it again and as I've said on here countless times- this stuff say's it stops rust and it does.

With the above disclaimer stated (LOL), I plan to use it as a filler on some of the "craters" on the roof (the deeper ones only) & then coat with the regular Por 15 coating, being very careful to not over build it and have to sand it down. It comes in a "toothpaste" tube and should be fairly easy to place. There is one area in the middle towards the front that was bad and needs to be filled with something, figure I'd give this stuff a shot there and also use it around exterior pinch welds or areas where panels meet up instead of regular body sealer such as a polyurethane or Butyl seam sealant. We'll see...have not tried it yet but I'll post up some pics when I do it this week. Here's a link to the product data & web page. Hope this helped.

http://www.por15.com/Data%20Sheets/porpatch%20directions.pdf
http://www.por15.com/PORPATCH/productinfo/PPB/
77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 77mali Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:40 pm

Here's the filler (Some craters were a bit too deep for it) LOL. Made out ok with it though- 1st coat went down good. Second coat this weekend hopefully then it's rust proof!!!

Porpatch:

1977 Chevelle Malibu Classic Progress Photo's aka Mali - Page 12 P1040513

Worst area of roof- close up (this will need more than Porpatch but they are sealed & they did not go all the way through the panel).
1977 Chevelle Malibu Classic Progress Photo's aka Mali - Page 12 P1040514

Por15 Coat #1 (The arrow shows the area in the previous pic) The Por15 black does not photograph well...sorry.
1977 Chevelle Malibu Classic Progress Photo's aka Mali - Page 12 P1040515
77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Limey SE Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:48 pm

making good progress Buddy
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Street Cred : 97

Back to top Go down

Post by 77mali Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:55 pm

Thanks Limey- I actually feel like I turned a corner with the engine almost all done & whatnot. It'll be 2 years in November since the title changed hands & she landed in the spot where she still sits. LOL.

The SE looks good- Looks like you made a lot of progress too. Beer
77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Hawk03 Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:30 am

Is it best to use the Por Patch before painting, if the roof is pitted like yours? When I paint mine I will be leaving the vinyl off. I had it painted and the vinyl top redone in '97 but I don't remember the state the roof was in then.

You're making some good progress and making me want to start working on mine Very Happy

Last edited by Hawk03 on Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:31 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : added text)
Hawk03
Hawk03
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 18

Back to top Go down

Post by 77mali Fri Sep 21, 2012 9:12 am

I did what they said & used it before the coating. I'm going to apply some more Porpatch prior to the second coat and see how it does over the coating in a small area. They say you can go thick with it but the thicker you go the longer the time to dry & cure. I think they are over selling it a bit because it contains no "aggregate" and is just a slightly more viscous version of the coating. I'm curious to see how it reacts over the coating.

You can spread the Porpatch down super-thin and it covers very well over small pits & imperfections- the pic below is the area that is in the set of pics above just showing bare metal where there were some circular pitted areas. It did good there and on other smaller imperfections.

1977 Chevelle Malibu Classic Progress Photo's aka Mali - Page 12 P1040516

Somethings I hate about this stuff: It's really very sensitive to moisture/humidity- and if you leave the cans/containers open - the stuff will start to cure in the can. You also have to keep the channel for the lid super clean or you'll end up having to get a can opener- LOL. It's messy and will stain your skin, clothes, etc...and don't get it on anything you don't want it on because it's impossible to get off without sanding it once it dries. Buy small amounts to try & get used to how it reacts before wasting $45-$50/quart and have it go bad. Have enough on hand but this is something you'll want to prep for and think out fully before doing any work with it. Make sure you follow the directions to a fault (especially the surface prep) and have lots of latex gloves around.
77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by ant7377 Fri Sep 21, 2012 3:24 pm

I used it on a car I had once to fill a hole in the windsheild channel. That car is still around and the rust never came back, so there ya go.
ant7377
ant7377
G3GM Addict
G3GM Addict

Street Cred : 36

Back to top Go down

Post by pila Fri Sep 21, 2012 7:35 pm

One way to close off a can of POR is to use half of a plastic Zip-lock bag under the lid, to keep it from gluing itself to the can. I hear you can keep in a refrigerator also, to help keep if from getting hard. Haven't tried that myself.

pila
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 43

Back to top Go down

Post by 77mali Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:28 pm

The wife won't let me keep it in the fridge...she can smell one squirt of spray paint in the basement in the winter time.
Laughing

I tried the sandwich bag trick- it works. I cut plastic drinking cups to make a "scoop", leaving a handle so I can dunk it in the quart can- transferring it out into throw away containers, thereby leaving the grooves in the can clean. It's good to keep the underside of the lid clean too. I found the key is take out what you need and seal it back up again right away. I keep it in the house and don't even bring the cans outside.
77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 12 of 27 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 19 ... 27  Next