G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

TH350 Transmission problems with shifting

+5
abajc3
texan01
lagunainnewark
oldstofty
The Dude
9 posters

Go down

TH350 Transmission problems with shifting Empty TH350 Transmission problems with shifting

Post by rogal_tx Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:21 am

I got 73 Malibu (project car) that I just gotting running past weekend but not the way I want to. Transmission want shift automaticaly but I can shift manualy.
Anyone had same problem? any suggestions on what to do?
Thanks
rogal_tx
rogal_tx
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 0

Back to top Go down

TH350 Transmission problems with shifting Empty Re: TH350 Transmission problems with shifting

Post by The Dude Tue Aug 16, 2011 10:44 am

Got a few ideas spinning here, so let's see if we can fix you up.

First off, how long has the trans been sitting & does it have a new filter/fluid? Might be worn out bands, a clogged filter, or bad fluid. Could just be the valve body sticking from sitting so long.

Second, check your vacuum lines. TH350s don't like to shift right if the modulator is unhooked or bad.

It's also possible that you need a new governor if the above suggestions fail.
The Dude
The Dude
Management
Management

Street Cred : 48

Back to top Go down

TH350 Transmission problems with shifting Empty Re: TH350 Transmission problems with shifting

Post by oldstofty Tue Aug 16, 2011 11:42 am

Have you used this trans before or was it in the car when purchased? It may be a manual valve body which of couse would be aftermarket but just an idea
oldstofty
oldstofty
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 7

Back to top Go down

Post by rogal_tx Tue Aug 16, 2011 11:54 am

when I got the car it was sitting for probably 2 years and not running.
Put new fluid and filter, just replaced vacuum modulator last night (will test drive it today)

FYI: It appears car was drag racing car so manual valve body sounds like possibility.

Will post update later today after i test drive it.
Thanks
rogal_tx
rogal_tx
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by oldstofty Tue Aug 16, 2011 1:09 pm

Ya if it was set up as a race car, more than likely its a manual valve body
oldstofty
oldstofty
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 7

Back to top Go down

Post by rogal_tx Tue Aug 16, 2011 4:11 pm

also seems like transmission want stop leaking oil, I replaced the pan seal twice and then replaced the pan because that didn't solve the problem. After all that it stoped leaking till first test drive and it leaks from passanger front side.

Does the manual valve body keeps higher pressure (gauge shows 35psi - 40 psi) at all times? Could that be a cause??

My another 73 Malibu reads between 40 and 60 psi and it doesn't leaks so I don't think its a problem but I figure I ask.
rogal_tx
rogal_tx
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by abajc3 Tue Aug 16, 2011 6:15 pm

manual valve body seems the most probable cause to me, i had a failed governor once and it wouldnt upshift no matter what.

as for the leakage part, check that the mating surface on the tranny case isnt dented or sth like that. i had that happen once with an aluminium intake that someone probably dropped on the floor. it wouldnt compress the sealant properly and i can assure you that car was leaking oil like crazy. filed that edge off and its fine now.

abajc3
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 3

Back to top Go down

Post by lagunainnewark Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:15 pm

Passenger front corner could also be cooler lines or dip stick tube seal, Good luck, Ron
lagunainnewark
lagunainnewark
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 8

Back to top Go down

Post by rogal_tx Wed Aug 17, 2011 8:42 am

Surprisingly enough vacuum line modulator was a problem to shifting, replaced it and shifts good,(so no manual valve body) but I'm still fighting the leak. I jacked up the right side of the car to look at it and it was wet in front and right side of the pan as well as on top of the transmission housing around dipstick and kick down cable.
I will replace dipstick and kick down cable o-rings today.
Also, rear of the car sits substantially higher than the front so fluid would travel to the front of the pan before dripping, anything towards the back side of the trans. that could cause the leak?
rogal_tx
rogal_tx
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by texan01 Wed Aug 17, 2011 8:51 pm

Mine leaks from there as well, and I've replaced everything that can seal right there. I think my pan is warped. I even replaced the dipstick tube with a new one with the cup seal instead of the oring, new kickdown cable since mine was broken, and teflon tape on the cooler lines, not going into the case, just into the adapters.

texan01
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 6

Back to top Go down

Post by abajc3 Thu Aug 18, 2011 3:56 am

have any of you tried silicone gasket maker? i think it should compensate for irregularities in the mating surfaces more than the normal gasket. might do the trick i guess

abajc3
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 3

Back to top Go down

Post by rogal_tx Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:33 am

This is harder then I thought, I cleaned the right side of the trans, took it on the road put it on jack stands to look for leaks. Didn't see anything so I lefted on jack stand over night hoping it will show.
Next day, right side completely dry but since left side was sitting lower it started to leak. It doesn't appear that pan is the problem but I don't know anymore.
rogal_tx
rogal_tx
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Limey SE Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:54 am

could it be a hairline crack in the housing ???

Anthony
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Street Cred : 98

Back to top Go down

Post by 74Malibu383 Thu Aug 18, 2011 11:47 am

Front seal?
74Malibu383
74Malibu383
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 26

Back to top Go down

Post by rogal_tx Thu Aug 18, 2011 12:01 pm

Limey wrote:could it be a hairline crack in the housing ???
That will be impossible to find
rogal_tx
rogal_tx
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by rogal_tx Thu Aug 18, 2011 12:02 pm

74Malibu383 wrote:Front seal?
and tips how to replace it or check if thats whats leaking?
rogal_tx
rogal_tx
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 74Malibu383 Thu Aug 18, 2011 12:07 pm

You have to pull the tranny and take the torque converter off. If it's leaking, you'll need a seal puller (T-shaped tool with hooks on the end) then you can tap in the new front seal. Make sure it goes in square.
74Malibu383
74Malibu383
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 26

Back to top Go down

Post by pila Fri Aug 19, 2011 12:08 am

Maybe the seal in the shifter selector shaft is seeping, where it goes through the case. Had that problem once....

pila
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 43

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down