G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Egine Paint

+4
Tom77
jerry46765
pila
lagunainnewark
8 posters

Go down

Egine Paint Empty Egine Paint

Post by 77mali Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:14 am

Looking for input regarding Engine Paint & Primers...better brands that are out there, etc. What have you used and are you happy w/ the results? Input is appreciated! Pics welcomed too.
77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 62

Back to top Go down

Egine Paint Empty Re: Egine Paint

Post by dcastine Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:03 pm

Mali - I've always used the Eastwood products with GREAT results, my 59 Cadillac was done in Bill Hirsch paint - very nice results with that as well.

My Laguna gets here next Tuesday (may be at Kitty's Thursday night, weather permitting) - I'll start right away on the engine bay.

Good luck!
Dave C
74 S3 454/4spd
dcastine
dcastine
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 3

Back to top Go down

Post by 77mali Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:22 pm

Might have to make that trip to see it. Congrats Beer Thanks for the tip, I'll check it out @ Eastwood.
Used some Duplicolor engine enamel this evening on my valve covers. I liked the results & they were in bad shape too.
Egine Paint Dsc01519

Egine Paint P1010414

Egine Paint P1010415

Last edited by 77mali on Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by lagunainnewark Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:44 pm

On the BBC for my laguna I used POR15 engine paint kit. Sorry can't find a good pic of the color. Good luck, Ron
lagunainnewark
lagunainnewark
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 8

Back to top Go down

Post by pila Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:32 pm

In the 80s I used aircraft paint on a 400 SB. It was Alumi-grip, a two part poyurethane. A few years later, I re-built that engine, and the hot tank at the machine shop didn't even begin to remove that paint. I later decided that that paint may have been making the engine run a bit hotter, even hotter than the usual 400. Maybe it insulated the block some (?) Anyway, I now just use plain engine paint, nothing fussy....

pila
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 43

Back to top Go down

Post by 74MonteCarlo Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:47 pm

I used Dupli-Color on the motor of my Monte. Turned out great.

Also used it on my old 74 Chevelle, and my dad used it on his 70 Chevelle

74MonteCarlo
G3GM Fanatic
G3GM Fanatic

Street Cred : 17

Back to top Go down

Post by jerry46765 Thu Sep 22, 2011 11:55 pm

Are you talking rattle cans?

You can thank the EPA since there are only a few spray paint suppliers left in the USA.

Krylon used to be King back in the day.
NO MORE, Krylon is crapola.
Poor spray, light coverage, crummy nozzles, and it will crinkle in a heartbeat (when the wind blows) for multiple coats, you need at least 24 hours or longer to respray which makes it almost worthless.

My buddy gave me all his left over Eastwood sprays.
They were ok, but I am not sure they are worth the high cost and the ups hazardous shipping charge.
20 bucks for one can and they should be magic.
It’s just paint and nothing special other than the name.

Duplicolor is really good for heat resistant paint specifically for engine paint.
I don't like the nozzles, but for engine durability, you can tolerate crummy nozzles.

I am exclusively using Rustoleum.
Yeah I know, I thought Rustoleum was only used on tractors, but times change.
Coverage, touch-up, multiple coats are easy, availability is everywhere, and cost per can make it my favorite.
I really like Rustoleum satins, hammer tones, and the gloss coverage is good too.
They work well, are tolerant of dirt, have good coverage, have great second coat ability and you can buy it at Walmart for $6 a can.
I sprayed a set of dyno headers with their 2000f heat resistant paint. My buddy used the headers, and the finish resisted a nasty fuel flash fire with no damage to paint surface.
Rustoleum also has an undercoat that has a nice flat even coverage and you can even paint over it with other Rustoleum paints if you don’t like the flat black color.

Thanks -
jerry46765
jerry46765
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 20

Back to top Go down

Post by Tom77 Fri Sep 23, 2011 7:24 am

Egine Paint 39341264037_largeEgine Paint 39341264039_large

Duplicolor worked great for me. This was painted 2 Years ago and the only spot it has chipped is the oil pan.
Tom77
Tom77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 9

Back to top Go down

Post by 77mali Fri Sep 23, 2011 8:05 am

I liked how the valve covers came out on mine- except for the "Low -Gloss" black version I used. When dry, It was a bit to flat. I agree w/ Jerry on just about all points w/ the exception of the nozzles on the Rustoleum brand. It seems that depending on where you buy it (at least around here) the nozzles are always different and some of the larger nozzles make my hands tired...i know it sounds a little Gay but when you do a large area (I did my interior roof/Firewall, etc...) w/ their primers & enamel and while the results were excellent, it was tough to apply. I think here the auto chains have different nozzles than the hardware/home centers...I like the Duplicolor nozzle...the adjustable pattern and the ease of application worked well when I used it on my exterior roof. Think I'm going to go w/ that brand for this application.
77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by dcastine Fri Sep 23, 2011 8:17 am

I think I used Dupli-Color on my 340 engine a few years back and lasted pretty well for the following 4,500 miles until I sold the car. Whatever works!

Egine Paint 2167027670029207209S600x600Q85

Egine Paint 2697054830029207209S600x600Q85
dcastine
dcastine
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 3

Back to top Go down

Post by 74MonteCarlo Fri Sep 23, 2011 9:30 am

Also wanted to add, that I used VHT on my exhaust manifolds. It's held up fantastically. They still look just as nice as the day they were painted

74MonteCarlo
G3GM Fanatic
G3GM Fanatic

Street Cred : 17

Back to top Go down

Post by 77mali Fri Sep 23, 2011 9:05 pm

Kyle what the heck is that red bar on the right of your post? I clicked it by accident & it said my vote was cast? For what? scratch
77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by bigredlaguna Fri Sep 23, 2011 10:32 pm

77mali, that is a street cred vote. The + shows green, and the - shows red.

If you like a post or the info in it is helpful to you, then you can vote + if you choose. I countered your vote, so you should see both red and green in that bar.
bigredlaguna
bigredlaguna
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Street Cred : 53

Back to top Go down

Post by 77mali Fri Sep 23, 2011 10:40 pm

Thanks Bigred. Gonna give all posters some cred. LOL!
77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down