G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Help w/ Axle Removal

2 posters

Go down

Help w/ Axle Removal Empty Help w/ Axle Removal

Post by 77mali Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:00 am

Hi folks- Will be pulling my engine & trans out in the near future and was wondering what the best method is for removal of the drive shaft from the trans? Any special tools required? I've heard the union is weighted & needs to go back on exactly as removed- & fluid will come out afterwards, both when removing the shaft and as they get hoisted, correct? Any help is much appreciated. affraid
77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 62

Back to top Go down

Help w/ Axle Removal Empty Re: Help w/ Axle Removal

Post by Joe73 Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:23 am

No special tools. Actually a real easy job. To remove the driveshaft there are (4) 7/16" bolts on the U-joint at the front of the differential. I like to remove one bolt on each side and then just loosen the other 2 until they swing out of the way. Then she's ready to come out. You might have to put a screwdriver behind the U-joint and pry it out of the rear yoke, but not a big deal. Then just grab the shaft and pull it out of the tranny. It will slide right out. When it comes out of the trans some trans fluid might leak out. So have a bucket or some rags underneath. It wont leak for long but if your taking out the engine and trans as a unit, then the tilt of removing it will probably make it lead some more. Another thing I like to do is, when the driveshaft is out, I put a rubber surgical glove right over the tail of the trans to catch and leakage. Then a jack under the trans to support it and remove the cross member or just slide it back. Then I would put a plastic bag over the glove and duct tape around the tail to hold the leakage in.

Or you could just go buy a trans plug for 5 bucks and stick it in there after removing the shaft. Way cleaner way to go.
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 83

Back to top Go down

Post by 77mali Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:28 am

Joe

Thanks, that was very helpful.**points awarded, LOL**
77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 62

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe73 Wed Jan 25, 2012 1:10 pm

No problem at all. You have my cell, give me a call if you have any other problems or questions. Talk to you Friday!
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 83

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down