G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A question for anyone who has done a frame off.

+3
Laguna Budman
BicknellWelding
Joe73
7 posters

Go down

A question for anyone who has done a frame off. Empty A question for anyone who has done a frame off.

Post by Lovett Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:20 pm

I'm at a turning point with with my 73 restoration and would appreciate anyone with experience chiming in. I have the body on the rotisserie, all sheet metal prepared and primed, and have a complete set of body bushings from the parts place. The frame is cleaned but I haven't done any blasting or painting on it.
1) Would it be better to bolt on the body, fenders, core support, hood then align and paint on the bare frame, then remove, tagging all the shims for future install? Then blast and paint the frame, reassembling the body on a finished frame?
2) Or complete the frame work before installing the body for paint?
I have access to the equipment and manpower to switch the body without much trouble. I've watched several shows and videos about frame offs and they seem to go with option 2. What I don't have is equipment or expertise with painting the body so all this has to be paid for at shop rates of $45.00 / hour. I'm looking for the option that produces the best results.

Lovett
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 2

Back to top Go down

A question for anyone who has done a frame off. Empty Re: A question for anyone who has done a frame off.

Post by Joe73 Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:04 pm

Option #2 is my choice. Do all your frame work first, then put the body back on and do your body work and paint. Just be careful around the chassis and mask all areas off good. Reason being that the body body have "play" in them when installing. Everything might not line up exactly the same as when you took it off. When your putting the body back on just take a look on both sides of the frame in the rocker area. Make sure the distance, frame to rocker is about equal on both side.
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 83

Back to top Go down

A question for anyone who has done a frame off. Empty Re: A question for anyone who has done a frame off.

Post by BicknellWelding Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:25 pm

X2. I'd paint the floors and firewall while its off. finish frame and mask mask mask.
BicknellWelding
BicknellWelding
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 3

Back to top Go down

Post by Laguna Budman Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:51 am

No. 2 is what I did. Not saying it is right but it worked well for me. https://s1085.photobucket.com/albums/j438/bud83man/
Laguna Budman
Laguna Budman
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 9

Back to top Go down

Post by pila Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:15 am

I installed the body after the frame was finished and all running gear was rebuilt or replaced.
I had the body sand blasted all over except the finish paint areas, and then painted the fire wall, interior, and the whole bottom before re-mounting the body.

Here's a link to the photos of the project. It's an El Camino, but mostly the same process.
https://s561.photobucket.com/albums/ss52/steelybill/El%20Camino%20resto/

pila
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 43

Back to top Go down

Post by alleyball4 Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:31 am

awesome pictures pila .... thanks
alleyball4
alleyball4
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 5

Back to top Go down

Post by Lovett Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:48 pm

Thanks to all for sharing your experience and photos. I ordered the metal prep, POR15 and chassis coating today. Should be ready in 2 weeks for the body install.

Lovett
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 2

Back to top Go down

Post by 73 SS owner Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:08 pm

I have only attempted one(and it is not finished yet Smile ) but option two is the way I went and it has gone well so far!

73 SS owner
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down