G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

lost ignition key and steering is locked

+6
maliburacinfreak
1973 454 MONTE
Mcarlo77
Limey SE
BlackChevelleSS
thatfnthing
10 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

lost ignition key and steering is locked Empty lost ignition key and steering is locked

Post by fishhead Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:06 pm

I was planning on new lock cylinders anyway,how do I unlock the steering on a 73 malibu with no key? Thanks for yet another bailout!

fishhead
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 3

Back to top Go down

lost ignition key and steering is locked Empty Re: lost ignition key and steering is locked

Post by 1973montec Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:49 am

Theres a pin that has to be depressed. You can see it when the wheel is off. 11:00 position. It moves with ignition.
1973montec
1973montec
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 17

Back to top Go down

lost ignition key and steering is locked Empty Re: lost ignition key and steering is locked

Post by 1973 454 MONTE Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:17 am

there really is no way to unlock it unless you want to take the column apart and take out the cylinder.the lock pin as chris mention is controlled by the cylinder.
lost ignition key and steering is locked Pin10
1973 454 MONTE
1973 454 MONTE
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 36

Back to top Go down

Post by fishhead Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:05 pm

Very Happy Awesome! Thanks much for the detailed advice,the pic is especially helpful.The 73 is in hibernation without an engine and waiting for a nice,long productive Summer to get her back in shape. For the life of me I can't figure out how those keys got lost,I don't even drink. scratch

fishhead
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by thatfnthing Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:54 pm

And FWIW, that pin is made of magnesium, so don't grind on it.
thatfnthing
thatfnthing
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 65

Back to top Go down

Post by fishhead Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:20 pm

Nope..no grinding.No sledgehammers either... Wink

fishhead
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 1973 454 MONTE Sat Apr 06, 2013 10:03 am

what happened next?

did you get it apart?
1973 454 MONTE
1973 454 MONTE
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by fishhead Sat Apr 06, 2013 10:46 am

Just now got a steering wheel puller and new ignition lock cylinder.I hope to get to it today.Many,many irons in the fire but its a beautiful weekend here in Bama.All I have is a smartphone so I havent posted pics yet but will hopefully learn how soon.Thanks for asking,I'll update here soon.

fishhead
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Biomedtech Sat Apr 06, 2013 1:27 pm

Heres a pdf I found somewhere, I'd like to credit where its due but I cant remember where i got it...

Great description on how to disassemble a tilt column, but its all the same down to the lock cylinder.

http://www.filedropper.com/tiltcolumndr1rev09ja2010
Biomedtech
Biomedtech
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 5

Back to top Go down

Post by BlackChevelleSS Sun Apr 07, 2013 12:33 am

just pull the lock plate with a lock plate remover and then reinstall the steering wheel temporarly if you just need to move it. Dont drive it that way tho.

lost ignition key and steering is locked SIG2
BlackChevelleSS
BlackChevelleSS
Management
Management

Street Cred : 20

Back to top Go down

Post by Mcarlo77 Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:22 am

You can buy a lock plate removal tool? And, all this time I've been wrestling with manually compressing that plate spring in order to work the round clip out of the groove. Where can a person buy said tool?
Mcarlo77
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 77

Back to top Go down

Post by Limey SE Sun Apr 07, 2013 11:33 am

Mcarlo77 wrote:You can buy a lock plate removal tool? And, all this time I've been wrestling with manually compressing that plate spring in order to work the round clip out of the groove. Where can a person buy said tool?

http://www.zip-corvette.com/ProductDetails/ProductDetails.aspx?pid=%7B35516c4a-ad7d-45b9-83b8-fd3bc2a15c7e%7D&gid=%7Ba61d7b36-c954-460a-be3d-cfcaf0a2dc76%7D&GroupName=Tools&pname=Steering+Column+Upper+Lock+Plate+Removal+Tool&Referer=&Alias=&ptct=GL2-SR&CTitle=lost ignition key and steering is locked TL-125
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Street Cred : 97

Back to top Go down

Post by 1973 454 MONTE Sun Apr 07, 2013 11:46 am

i bought mine at advance auto
1973 454 MONTE
1973 454 MONTE
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Mcarlo77 Sun Apr 07, 2013 1:01 pm

Well, I'll be a *#&%@*... won't have to unleash my repertoire of swear words next time I have to tackle that procedure!
Mcarlo77
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 77

Back to top Go down

Post by 1973 454 MONTE Sun Apr 07, 2013 3:03 pm

Mcarlo77 wrote:Well, I'll be a *#&%@*... won't have to unleash my repertoire of swear words next time I have to tackle that procedure!

its works really good. ive had one for about 30 years.but with the move and all,i couldnt seem to find it. so i had to buy a new one.
1973 454 MONTE
1973 454 MONTE
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by fishhead Sun Apr 07, 2013 6:41 pm

Do I need to remove that little hex head screw that is located about 1"-1 1/2" below the lock cylinder behind the cam assembly? I pressed/lifted/molested the little recessed flat lever inside there and no release.All thats left is that little screw...is that whats holding the cylinder in place? Thanks. scratch

fishhead
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Biomedtech Sun Apr 07, 2013 11:00 pm

Harbor Freight has em too for 29.99...

http://www.harborfreight.com/steering-wheel-remover-set-68982.html
Biomedtech
Biomedtech
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by fishhead Sun Apr 07, 2013 11:16 pm

Haw! I have a Grant custom steering wheel so I didnt need any special tools and I have everything off down to the turn signal cancelling cam.I have the cam assembly pulled out just enough to get access to that little hex head screw.Do I need to loosen/remove that screw to pull the ignition key lock cylinder out? Is that what is holding the cylinder in place? I've come this far and need advice on this last step.Thanks fellas.

fishhead
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by maliburacinfreak Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:07 am

yes, pull that screw and the cylinder slides right out

maliburacinfreak
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 6

Back to top Go down

Post by fishhead Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:17 am

Thanks a heap buddy! Thumbs up

fishhead
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 1973montec Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:23 pm

our columns have a little black thinggy you push in.

78-88 columns have a screw you have to take out.

chris help me out here. Rolling Eyes
1973montec
1973montec
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by fishhead Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:46 pm

Shucks....I'm grasping at straws here.I've tried eveything to release the lock cylinder and no luck.It seems my only option is to cut the wires on the turn signal cam and dig deeper into the steering column.What the hell does it take to get that thing out? Mad

fishhead
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Biomedtech Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:46 pm

It could be that the cylinder has never been replaced before and the access hole is covered over with casting flash.

lost ignition key and steering is locked Cylind10

That slot they have the screw driver in will be covered over with a thin layer of casting flash if the cylinder has never been changed before. It breaks out easily and then you will be in business.

The below description is straight from the PDF I posted a link to earlier.

Removing Lock Cylinder - Description #3
When removing the lock cylinder from the column, most shop manuals recommend
inserting the ignition key and turning the lock cylinder to the RUN position. However,
the lock cylinder can also be removed without the ignition key being inserted. Either way
will prevent damage to the key warning buzzer switch.
The 1969 thru 1976 lock cylinders are held in place by a metal spring tab that sticks out
of the lock cylinder. This tab engages a narrow, rectangular slot in the column housing.
Looking straight into the column housing, this slot is vertical, right on the centerline of
the lock cylinder, and located 1.75 inches from the underside of the chrome wings on the
lock cylinder. See picture on next page.
If your steering column has never had the lock cylinder replaced, there will be a thin die
casting metal membrane covering the slot. Keeping a thin bladed tool to the right side of
the slot, break the housing flash. Now depress the spring tab. Also I have found that if
you don't push the spring tab pretty much in the center it will not release the lock cylinder
because it tends to rock side to side.
Biomedtech
Biomedtech
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by fishhead Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:33 pm

Good God-A-Mighty,it's things like this that make me quote Nancy Kerrigan..."WHYYYYYYYY???" Thanks man,I owe you one! Very Happy

fishhead
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 1973montec Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:31 pm

Dont cut the wire. Take off the bracket that is under the column, it will give you more movement to bring up the cancel thingy.

Need to take off the 2-9/16 nuts than the 4- 1/2 screws. The column will drop a little , but its gets the cancel thing out of the way
1973montec
1973montec
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next