G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pwr Strg Pump Pulley

4 posters

Go down

Pwr Strg Pump Pulley Empty Pwr Strg Pump Pulley

Post by Mcarlo77 Thu Sep 05, 2013 7:26 pm

Need some advice on reinstalling the pump pulley. Bought a new pump at local O'Reilly Auto and they were kind enough to pull out their pulley removal/installer tool to remove the pulley on my old pump. We noticed the shaft was keyed and no inner recess or threads on the end of the shaft to secure the threaded rod of the installer tool. Guy thought I could just tap the pulley onto the new pump. Well, I've been "tapping" and it isn't going on easily. Afraid to break out the hammer for fear of damaging the pump internals. Anyone with some hands-on knowledge as to how to handle this style of shaft? BtW...did anyone know the shaft on '73/'74's were this style and '75-'77's had a different shaft where it has the recess (think it's a hex) on the end for using this installer tool? Found that out after a having the wrong pump transferred to this store (for whatever reason, my '75 Laguna had the '73/'74 style pump shaft).

Pwr Strg Pump Pulley Laguna10
Mcarlo77
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 77

Back to top Go down

Pwr Strg Pump Pulley Empty Re: Pwr Strg Pump Pulley

Post by 77mali Thu Sep 05, 2013 7:48 pm

Try this Steve-O...you buy it & then return for 100% credit on their loaner program.

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/accessories/OEM-Pulley-puller-installer-kit/_/N-264z?itemIdentifier=2075_0_0_

I don't know if that keyway will be an issue though.  You definitely can't tap it on- it's like trying to "Tap-on" a harmonic balancer- just won't happen that way.
77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 62

Back to top Go down

Post by Mcarlo77 Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:05 pm

I don't know...I think these kits are for the non-keyed press-on pulleys. Can't seem to find much on the 'net concerning the keyed style; except one posting on another forum mentioned the assembly plants back in the day had trouble installing the pulleys correctly, too. Probably why they changed to press-on in '75. Anyway, it would appear they do, in fact, need to be "tapped" on. C'mon JB and Bill (Pila)...I know you guys have changed these out back in the day! Spill the secret...ha!
Mcarlo77
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 77mali Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:14 pm

Let me see if I can find my manual- which car is this for?
77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Mcarlo77 Thu Sep 05, 2013 11:51 pm

Well...took a chance and, after making sure the pulley was square with the shaft and the key/keyway lined up, I gave it a few light smacks with a hammer... while using a socket to help distribute the force evenly. Once it got started straight, it went on without too much force. I'm good to go...and, learned (or, re-learned) something in the process.

For the rest of you, remember to keep this variation in shaft styles in mind when buying a replacement pump. The switch came in 1975...although, like in my case, someone might have installed the earlier version somewhere along the way. The pump itself is the same...just the style of shaft. And, of course, the corresponding pulleys are not interchangeable, either.
Mcarlo77
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Pontichev327 Fri Sep 06, 2013 1:40 am

Thanks, I have to put one on the 75 Laguna next week or so... I will make sure to check that!
Pontichev327
Pontichev327
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 7

Back to top Go down

Post by Mcarlo77 Fri Sep 06, 2013 8:59 am

A quick look at the end of the pulley shaft will tell you which one you have. If there's a nut, it's a keyed shaft.
Mcarlo77
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by dragons_lair59 Fri Sep 06, 2013 12:53 pm

Used to have old school parts store here that would remove and press new one one for free. But that kinda service and knowledge seem to vanished these days. For instance bought oil filter for Buick but counter guy was " smarter" then the computer and pulled one for sbc get home son put it on cause he is learning fire it up bam 2 qts oil on garage floor get right filter exchanged after arguing with them and they actually look it up. Then get filter for the family hauler that has 5.4 well first sell me some midget looking thing that doesn't filter as much or as well so I take it back then Mr.I don't need the book or filter cause ford hasn't changed numbers in decades sells me one for a 390 so once again a 15 mile trip to get the right one and not even a what can we do or we will have a talk with the guy. Just it happens. And fyi the manager was the one that screwed up with the Buick
dragons_lair59
dragons_lair59
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 11

Back to top Go down

Post by Mcarlo77 Fri Sep 06, 2013 7:49 pm

The smaller O'Reilly Auto store in my area has been great to me. I've dealt with them for many years and almost feel like one of the crew. They brought on a younger guy who helped me with the pump and he was eager to help me sort out the confusion with the shafts. He pulled out their pulley/installer kit and removed my old pulley right there on the counter and would have used it to install it on the new pump if I needed it. I appreciated his positive attitude, willingness to learn and eagerness to make sure I walked away with problem resolved. Good 'ol fashioned customer service that you just don't see much of anymore.
Mcarlo77
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 77mali Fri Sep 06, 2013 10:04 pm

I'm confused (as is commonly the case) but did your pulley have a groove in it for a "male" key on the pump-shaft?
77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Mcarlo77 Sat Sep 07, 2013 12:18 am

That be correct, Amigo! Also has a nut on the end to secure it.
Mcarlo77
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down