G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Need some opinions on new paint color

+10
Hawk03
Mcarlo77
77mali
ant7377
1973 454 MONTE
BK-75
JB2wheeler
Colonnade Mattie
Fishgrinder
JiMi_DRiX
14 posters

G3GM :: G3 Tech :: Body

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Need some opinions on new paint color Empty Need some opinions on new paint color

Post by thatfnthing Wed Dec 04, 2013 10:58 pm

Seriously thinking about having the Monte repainted in the spring (tired of the same red after all these years), and after a lot of searching, I've kind of narrowed it down to two: Dodge Sunburst Orange Pearl (used on the 2007-2010 Nitro, Caliber, and Ram) and Ford Frosted Glass Pearl (2013 Escape and Focus).  In my mind's eye they both would look very good (and very different) on a 2nd-gen Monte.

I wanted to test them out, so I cleaned up a spare hood I have and painted one side with each color and a couple of coats of clear.  Took it out in the sun and took some photos -- these are the ones that came out closest to representing what they actually look like if you were standing in front of them:

Sunburst Orange Pearl:
Need some opinions on new paint color Hood610

Frosted Glass Pearl:
Need some opinions on new paint color Hood910

Some info not apparent in the above photos: While the orange came out almost exactly like it looked on my wife's Nitro, the green came out darker -- and a tad on the bluish side.  I don't know if it was the brand of paint or something in my prep, but if you should happen to see one of the 2013 shiny light green Escapes or Focuses on the road, that's what I had in mind.

I am also thinking of a pair of stripes similar to dynchel's, or perhaps a blacked-out section of the hood.  This would be done in a black pearl. Since dynchel's changed his avatar, for reference here's an experiment to duplicate the stripes on a spare deck lid. These were done in a Subaru Cypress Green and Chrysler Vanilla Bean, but this was an earlier test and those colors didn't look as good as they did in my head.

Need some opinions on new paint color Trunk110

So what do you guys think?
thatfnthing
thatfnthing
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 65

Back to top Go down

Need some opinions on new paint color Empty Re: Need some opinions on new paint color

Post by JiMi_DRiX Thu Dec 05, 2013 1:00 am

I know both of those colors well, and its kind of funny because they are similar to some of the factory colors. (There was that copper orange color, and the light blue in 76/77) They both look good, what look are you going for? Something subtle? Or something that screams? I think thats the biggest difference between the two!
JiMi_DRiX
JiMi_DRiX
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 3

Back to top Go down

Need some opinions on new paint color Empty Re: Need some opinions on new paint color

Post by thatfnthing Thu Dec 05, 2013 1:56 am

Just looking to do something a bit more lively/sporty/eyecatching, without going over the top.  I have never seen any shade of orange on a 2nd gen Monte, and the one on my wife's Nitro was a darker, very rich pearl color that kinda grew on me.  I could picture it in my head, and I thought it would work well on the Monte.

I had seen light greens on early Montes before, but none of them compare to this.  This one's more of a mint, and unfortunately both the above photos and the paint I used don't exactly do it justice -- you have to see one of those Escapes/Focuses up close.  I don't know if it's some special formula or just miles of clear, but in the sunlight it changes in intensity (but not hue) depending on your angle, and it even stands out in the rain.  Again, I could picture it in my head looking great on the car.  However, it will all depend on if the paint shop can make it look like it does on the Escape.

But with that broad expanse of hood and deck, I also thought it needed something else, and I always liked the kind of stripes dynchel has.  So I thought maybe something like that in a black or dark charcoal pearl would contrast each of those colors nicely.  Subaru has a nifty Black Silica Pearl that looks awesome.
thatfnthing
thatfnthing
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Need some opinions on new paint color Empty Re: need some opinions on new paint color

Post by Mcarlo77 Thu Dec 05, 2013 7:54 am

Here's a '76 in factory Orange Poly. Probably not the same color hue as you're talking about, but gives an idea of what it might look like.

Need some opinions on new paint color Orange10
Mcarlo77
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 77

Back to top Go down

Post by driveit Thu Dec 05, 2013 9:24 am

I like the orange. It feels like a Monte color to me!
driveit
driveit
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 15

Back to top Go down

Post by dynchel Thu Dec 05, 2013 10:10 am

I like the dark charcoal pearl stripes over the orange scheme myself.
dynchel
dynchel
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 40

Back to top Go down

Post by thatfnthing Thu Dec 05, 2013 10:42 am

Mcarlo77 wrote:Here's a '76 in factory Orange Poly.  Probably not the same color hue as you're talking about, but gives an idea of what it might look like.
Wow, I had never seen one that color anywhere around here on one of these.  It does help, thanks.  Interestingly enough, I actually had those same wheels on her a bunch of years back, too. Smile
thatfnthing
thatfnthing
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 77mali Thu Dec 05, 2013 11:15 am

I like the pearl as the base car color. You could always do the stripes w/ the orange if that frosted color is white enough, kinda hard to tell on the computer screen though.
77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 62

Back to top Go down

Post by thatfnthing Thu Dec 05, 2013 11:37 am

If it helps, here are some links to examples of those two colors on whole vehicles:

Sunburst Orange Pearl:
Ram
Nitro
Avenger

Frosted Glass Pearl:
Escape
Focus

Last edited by thatfnthing on Thu Dec 05, 2013 11:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
thatfnthing
thatfnthing
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 77mali Thu Dec 05, 2013 3:29 pm

LOL...blue & orange is a no no.

I do like the sunburst maybe with black striping.  The blue is also nice, wonder how close it is to this Olds blue?  My 77 Cutty was similar & it got lighter in the full sun.

Need some opinions on new paint color 100_4810

Need some opinions on new paint color 100_4811
77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Need some opinions on new paint color Empty Re: need some opinions on new paint color

Post by Mcarlo77 Thu Dec 05, 2013 4:33 pm

My Laguna is factory Medium Orange Poly. Don't remember being particularly attracted to this color back in the day, but I now think it looks good on these Chevy "A" bodies. I experimented with a matte black tail panel and like the looks. Am now contemplating using the same for some accents...whether on the hood or on the sides. Always liked the looks of the AAR 'Cudas with the matte black hoods against Orange, Red, Lime Green, Yellow colors.

Need some opinions on new paint color 75lagu10
Mcarlo77
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 77

Back to top Go down

Post by thatfnthing Thu Dec 05, 2013 4:45 pm

77mali wrote:LOL...blue & orange is a no no.
My apologies if I wasn't clear. I'm trying to decide between the Sunburst Orange OR the Frosted Glass (which is actually a bright mint green, not blue -- that's what I meant when I said the photos didn't do it justice) I'm not planning on mixing the two. I don't want to make anyone's eyes bleed. Smile

And whichever gets picked, the plan is then to lay down some stripes similar to John's, only in a black or charcoal pearl.

As an aside, I did briefly consider the Dodge Atlantic Blue, which is an attractive steel blue color that I had on my Ram, but I decided it wasn't eye-catchy enough.

So which do you like better -- the green or the orange?
thatfnthing
thatfnthing
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by thatfnthing Thu Dec 05, 2013 4:57 pm

Mcarlo77 wrote:My Laguna is factory Medium Orange Poly.  Don't remember being particularly attracted to this color back in the day, but I now think it looks good on these Chevy "A" bodies.  I experimented with a matte black tail panel and like the looks.  Am now contemplating using the same for some accents...whether on the hood or on the sides.  Always liked the looks of the AAR 'Cudas with the matte black hoods against Orange, Red, Lime Green, Yellow colors.
That one I've seen -- it's very reminiscent of the Aztec Bronze used on the mid-60's Chevelles.  It's attractive, but a little too brown for what I'm going for.  The Monte you posted above is a lot closer.

I considered flat or satin black for the stripes, but my wife hates that look.  So we compromised on a pearl or metallic of some sort. Smile

Last edited by thatfnthing on Thu Dec 05, 2013 5:07 pm; edited 2 times in total
thatfnthing
thatfnthing
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 77mali Thu Dec 05, 2013 4:58 pm

My my f'n eyes are crap....Shocked that green looks blue to me....my bad though.

I like the orange way better. (unless that green was a blue like the Cutty Laughing )
77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by thatfnthing Thu Dec 05, 2013 5:04 pm

77mali wrote:My my f'n eyes are crap....Shocked that green looks blue to me....my bad though.  

I like the orange way better.  (unless that green was a blue like the Cutty Laughing )
No, that was kind of the problem with the sample paint -- even in person it came out on the blue side, and the camera makes it worse. The second photo is closer to actual. It's still green, but not like it's supposed to be. If you see one of the mint green 2013 Escapes running around your neck of the woods, that's what I was after.
thatfnthing
thatfnthing
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 1973 454 MONTE Thu Dec 05, 2013 7:33 pm

my x-boss' willies
Need some opinions on new paint color Img_0411
Need some opinions on new paint color 03201110
my buddies 70 chevelle
Need some opinions on new paint color Andre110

i always kinda liked this color
Need some opinions on new paint color Bronz110

im painting the monte this color
Need some opinions on new paint color Img_0310

i saw a 71 vette once with a color close

Need some opinions on new paint color Img_0311

this is nice too

Need some opinions on new paint color Sc051310
1973 454 MONTE
1973 454 MONTE
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 36

Back to top Go down

Post by dynchel Thu Dec 05, 2013 8:51 pm

If the green you are talking about is that shiny "self etch primer" green , I love that color. My wife hates it, go figure.
dynchel
dynchel
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by thatfnthing Thu Dec 05, 2013 11:41 pm

The Chevelle looks to be about the right color orange. Don't get me wrong, I like blue, and that shade is going to be sweet on yours. But around here blue is the 3rd most common color (after red and black) at the cruises. Need to stand out a tad more, 'cuz you know being one of the only three 2nd-gen Monte's (and the only 73) showing up isn't enough... Smile

So it looks like the general consensus is the orange, yes?

Anyone else care to weigh in?
thatfnthing
thatfnthing
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by thatfnthing Thu Dec 05, 2013 11:43 pm

dynchel wrote:If the green you are talking about is that shiny "self etch primer" green , I love that color.  My wife hates it, go figure.
I haven't seen that, so I couldn't rightly say. Does it look like those Escapes and Focuses in the links I posted above?
thatfnthing
thatfnthing
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Colonnade Mattie Fri Dec 06, 2013 5:39 am

Go for the orange if you have white interior then white stripe would be fine..if you have black interior the steel blue color would be ok but without stripes.
Colonnade Mattie
Colonnade Mattie
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by Fishgrinder Fri Dec 06, 2013 6:58 am

I think a satin finish would look good.

Fishgrinder
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 4

Back to top Go down

Post by 1973montec Fri Dec 06, 2013 9:13 am

please please dont go with the rally stripes. they just dont look good on a second gen monte.
Need some opinions on new paint color 00110
1973montec
1973montec
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 17

Back to top Go down

Post by thatfnthing Fri Dec 06, 2013 9:36 am

1973montec wrote:please please dont go with the rally stripes. they just dont look good on a second gen monte.
Not like that they certainly don't.  Those are too skinny and they touch the chrome.  I was thinking wider and with a pinstripe around each, kind of like what John has:

Need some opinions on new paint color Img_2014

And like his, they would stop just short of the panel (i.e. not touching the grille up front or running off the trunk lid in the back).  This way they would be more of an accent than just a plain old rally stripe.

However, I'm not married to stripes if a better idea comes along.  Suggestions?  

Also, FWIW, the interior is black.
thatfnthing
thatfnthing
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Colonnade Mattie Fri Dec 06, 2013 10:01 am

Everything depends on the look you are going for. I like montes with a vinyl top..all of the rocker and wheel well trim..i don't really like the stripes down the hood..pinstripes on the side are ok..I like them when they look original. As a rule I'd paint it original color unless you don't like the original color at all..then consider the condition of your interior and weather striping and trim as the lighter the color you choose the more these things stand out.
Colonnade Mattie
Colonnade Mattie
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by dynchel Fri Dec 06, 2013 11:56 am

thatfnthing wrote:
dynchel wrote:If the green you are talking about is that shiny "self etch primer" green , I love that color.  My wife hates it, go figure.
I haven't seen that, so I couldn't rightly say.  Does it look like those Escapes and Focuses in the links I posted above?
Yes, that's all I've ever seen it on.
dynchel
dynchel
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next