G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hood Shake

+5
76 Malibu
Wallyuph
SSTOOLMAN
dynchel
77mali
9 posters

G3GM :: G3 Tech :: Body

Go down

Hood Shake Empty Hood Shake

Post by 76 Malibu Sat Jun 06, 2015 9:14 pm

The hood on my Malibu shakes or moves around at bit at high speed on the highway. Is this something that all G3's do or is it something I can fix?
76 Malibu
76 Malibu
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 2

Back to top Go down

Hood Shake Empty Re: Hood Shake

Post by 77mali Sun Jun 07, 2015 8:21 am

I would check the hood latch & alignment, seems like there is some unwanted air getting into the engine bay when you're going fast.
77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 62

Back to top Go down

Post by dynchel Sun Jun 07, 2015 6:05 pm

Make sure the rubbers are on the sides (of the fenders). I don't have mine in cuz I can't get good alignment with them in for some reason.
dynchel
dynchel
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 40

Back to top Go down

Post by 76 Malibu Sun Jun 07, 2015 9:48 pm

It's more at the back edge of the hood, almost as if it's wobbling on the hinges. I did notice looking at it the hood sits high at the back edge. How is this adjusted?
76 Malibu
76 Malibu
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by dynchel Sun Jun 07, 2015 9:55 pm

The hinge is slotted for up/down adjustment.
dynchel
dynchel
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 40

Back to top Go down

Post by SSTOOLMAN Mon Jun 08, 2015 10:20 am

Mine does the same thing. I do have my drivers side hinge adjusted a little high in the back or it rubs on the windshield wiper arm where spline connector is. Anybody know why this is? it looks like its seated all the way down?? (sorry to change the subject)
SSTOOLMAN
SSTOOLMAN
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 7

Back to top Go down

Post by Wallyuph Mon Jun 08, 2015 11:52 am

SSTOOLMAN wrote:Mine does the same thing. I do have my drivers side hinge adjusted a little high in the back  or it rubs on the windshield wiper arm where spline connector is. Anybody know why this is? it looks like its seated all the way down?? (sorry to change the subject)

Mine does the same thing. If I lower the hinge to get the hood right to fender wiper gets stuck. I have the correct wiper arms as low as it can be to the glass.
Wallyuph
Wallyuph
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 31

Back to top Go down

Post by 76 Malibu Thu Jun 11, 2015 4:03 pm

Thanks, I will have to see how much I can adjust it down when I have a chance. I hope it doesn't hit the wipers when I lower it...
76 Malibu
76 Malibu
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by pila Thu Jun 11, 2015 8:35 pm

Aligning the hood, doors, and fenders is a real pain in the a$$ for sure. If the door (s) are a bit low, the hood will be a bit low also, when the fenders are aligned with the doors.

pila
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 43

Back to top Go down

Post by 73ss Thu Feb 11, 2016 11:00 pm

76 Malibu wrote:The hood on my Malibu shakes or moves around at bit at high speed on the highway.  Is this something that all G3's do or is it something I can fix?

I hope no one minds an old thread but:

This describes my 73 to the T. The problem is the hood hinges. With the hood closed and latched. Pick up on the back of the hood at the cowl. You'll find it has up and down play. My hood opened and closed fine with normal effort and great alignment, but the back of my hood lifts about an inch. Mainly on the passenger side. Speeds above 70 and it starts to lift. Drivers side has some to but not as much. On mine the 2 rivets that hold the hinge itself to the plate that bolts to the fender are trashed. I have 3 sets of spare hinges and on all three the right side hinge is loose. strange. This is with the spring removed. I don't have it fixed yet but I tried. Put a set of re-man hinges from e-bay and they were so tight the hood was going to buckle. The guy took them back no problem. The guy did a great job on them but they were just way to tight. Then I got a right side from the parts place. Junk. Didn't even attempt to install. I scored a nice NOS right side on e-bay. Haven't put it on yet. But it is nice and tight. You guys with the wiper problems, maybe the hinge is adjusted to low due to slop? I've never had any wiper issues. I've seen a few G3's in the area with loose hoods.
73ss
73ss
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 11

Back to top Go down

Post by ant7377 Thu Feb 11, 2016 11:13 pm

There is a guy that restores them with the correct finish and everything. I will see if I can find the link
ant7377
ant7377
G3GM Addict
G3GM Addict

Street Cred : 36

Back to top Go down

Post by ant7377 Thu Feb 11, 2016 11:15 pm

http://www.hoodhingerepair.com
ant7377
ant7377
G3GM Addict
G3GM Addict

Street Cred : 36

Back to top Go down

Post by 73ss Fri Feb 12, 2016 6:41 pm

Thanks ant. I called them Willie I think? With shipping & everything it was going to be $250. I thought that was a little steep? That why I tried the outfit on e-bay. They have 100% feedback so I gave them a try. That's what I get for trying to be cheap..I've got a NOS right side and a clean tight used left side I found in my hoard. I'll get them swapped out in the Spring.
73ss
73ss
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 11

Back to top Go down

Post by Hs1973 Sat Feb 13, 2016 11:22 am

Also bevare that If you use "modern" wiper blades they tend to be just a hair taller than what was on the car from new. Ad that to doors that sit to low, and you have the rubbing problem with the hood on the wiperarm.

The solution is to ajust the doors up so they sit right. And then lift the fenders up, then the hood can come back up. Then with the correct oem type wiper blades, you dont have the rubbing issue anymore. That was just a Comment to adress the rubbing of the hood, its a Real pain in the ... When it starts raining and the wiperarm gets stuck, and it blows the fuse. And you need to drive home in the rain with out wipers. Trust me its not that fun.
Hs1973
Hs1973
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 14

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down