G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

proper screws for 73 ss courtesy lamps?

2 posters

Go down

proper screws for 73 ss courtesy lamps? Empty proper screws for 73 ss courtesy lamps?

Post by clanceman427 Thu Sep 03, 2015 3:54 pm

Both driver side and passenger side under dash courtesy lamp housings were unbolted from the dash when I got the car. In fact the passenger side was laying on top of the glove box.

What's the proper screw to hold these housings on to the under dash?
clanceman427
clanceman427
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 16

Back to top Go down

proper screws for 73 ss courtesy lamps? Empty Re: proper screws for 73 ss courtesy lamps?

Post by Joe73 Thu Sep 03, 2015 4:32 pm

Small black screw. I think its 1/4" hex head. Black in color. Has a washer right below the head that doesnt come off. Threads are coarse like a wood screw.

If you have trouble finding one I'll unbolt mine and take a pic.
Let me know.
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 83

Back to top Go down

proper screws for 73 ss courtesy lamps? Empty Re: proper screws for 73 ss courtesy lamps?

Post by clanceman427 Thu Sep 03, 2015 11:16 pm

Hmm might need a photo. I scrounged thru my miscellaneous auto fasteners and came up with these. Same 1/4 inch drive head, but no separate washer. does the shaft thread look close enough?

proper screws for 73 ss courtesy lamps? Imag0710
clanceman427
clanceman427
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe73 Fri Sep 04, 2015 6:53 am

I dont think thats them. I'll try to unbolt mine for a pic today.
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe73 Fri Sep 04, 2015 4:06 pm

Ok, here's the pic.  The head is 1/4".  Its also the same bolt thats used for the support bracket on the bottom of the dash under the cigarette lighter.  

Where are you courtesy lights mounted under the dash?

Here's the pic.

proper screws for 73 ss courtesy lamps? Courtesy%20bulb%20bolt_zpsyb68guo6
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by clanceman427 Fri Sep 04, 2015 11:22 pm

Thanks Joe. I found a screw that looks just like your photo- are you sure your screw is 1/4 hex head? The one I found is a 5/16 hex head, as shown in the picture. Seemed to work for the courtesy light.

Both my driver's side and passenger side courtesy light sockets were unbolted from the dash when I bought the car, so I took a guess at where the passenger side mounts. Seems logical since the length of the wires only allows that position, and there was already a thru hole in the dash. See photo:

proper screws for 73 ss courtesy lamps? Imag0713
clanceman427
clanceman427
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe73 Sat Sep 05, 2015 7:25 am

Yes the head is 1/4". Only one courtesy light? Mine was boltedunder the ashtray area towards the pass side.
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by clanceman427 Sat Sep 05, 2015 7:55 am

No, I have 2, one hanging on the driver's side near the emergency brake, and the one I show on the pass side.
clanceman427
clanceman427
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe73 Sat Sep 05, 2015 8:10 am

Cool my drivers one is dangling.
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down