G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

1975 EL Camino Royale with Cheese

+12
pila
Hs1973
Sinister
Damon23
Mcarlo77
Limey SE
ant7377
riddick75
Joe73
knightfan26917
cutlassguy
77camino
16 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

1975 EL Camino Royale with Cheese - Page 2 Empty Re: 1975 EL Camino Royale with Cheese

Post by Cammin Sun May 22, 2016 9:40 am

Thanks for the information. Next question for you folks... I pulled the cylinder heads off and found that the driver's side cylinder head gasket was leaking into the #7 cylinder. Surface rust has set up on the bottom of the cylinder wall. Scaping with fingernails didn't pull the rust away. I sprayed it down with WD-40 and plan to pull the engine for further investigation. Any recommendations for removing the pistons without causing too much damage? BTW, no ridge at the cylinder tops.
Cammin
Cammin
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 2

Back to top Go down

1975 EL Camino Royale with Cheese - Page 2 Empty Re: 1975 EL Camino Royale with Cheese

Post by Cammin Tue Jun 14, 2016 2:09 pm

PIcked up an iron manifold (3965577) for $10 at a yard sale. What recomendations do you have for removing or covering rust in the intake ports? As always, slow but sure...

1975 EL Camino Royale with Cheese - Page 2 Img_2010

1975 EL Camino Royale with Cheese - Page 2 Img_2011
Cammin
Cammin
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Mcarlo77 Tue Jun 14, 2016 7:23 pm

I found a correct 4-bbl manifold on a '75 Laguna that I took and had hot tanked. It was much greasier than this one you show, however. Turned out pretty good; although maybe only 90% of the rust was removed. Good enough for me. Google this and you'll find recommendations ranging from sandblasting to hot tanking to electrolysis to molasses dip. I was concerned about sandblasting thinking it may be hard to get all the grit out of the insides. Did you get the "turkey pan" with it?
Mcarlo77
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 77

Back to top Go down

Post by Cammin Sun Jun 19, 2016 5:32 pm

Mcarlo77 wrote:I found a correct 4-bbl manifold on a '75 Laguna that I took and had hot tanked.  It was much greasier than this one you show, however.  Turned out pretty good; although maybe only 90% of the rust was removed.  Good enough for me.  Google this and you'll find recommendations ranging from sandblasting to hot tanking to electrolysis to molasses dip.  I was concerned about sandblasting thinking it may be hard to get all the grit out of the insides.  Did you get the "turkey pan" with it?

No luck with the pan, but I got this link as a recommendation...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TlcL_vHODkc
Cammin
Cammin
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Cammin Thu Jun 23, 2016 1:54 pm

Finally got black lugs nuts that fit the wheels (thanks for info) and it is now sitting on the ground with 4 tires that hold air, for the first time in many years.

Up next, I will replace the rear wheel cylinders.

1975 EL Camino Royale with Cheese - Page 2 Img_2013

1975 EL Camino Royale with Cheese - Page 2 Img_2012
Cammin
Cammin
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Damon23 Sat Jun 25, 2016 1:25 pm

The more I see these threads with el camino's the more I'm wanting one. Great job and keep on.

Damon23
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 5

Back to top Go down

Post by Cammin Sat Jun 25, 2016 3:38 pm

Damon23 wrote:The more I see these threads with el camino's the more I'm wanting one. Great job and keep on.

Thanks for the encouragement, let us know when you find one. Smile
Cammin
Cammin
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Cammin Wed Sep 07, 2016 10:43 am

Quick update: I've been offered a free, running 350 (fully dressed) if I pull it. So, I'm planning to make the short drive to pick it up within the next month. Will update with photos at that time.
Cammin
Cammin
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sinister Mon Sep 26, 2016 2:43 am

I love the pics,these cars are really built well,lots of thick steel,thats why so many still exist.
Wont be many cars built after 77,will still be around in 40 years.
Sinister
Sinister
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by Cammin Fri Nov 18, 2016 7:30 pm

The day of reckoning is finally approaching...1975 EL Camino Royale with Cheese - Page 2 Img_2010
Cammin
Cammin
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Hs1973 Sat Nov 19, 2016 1:35 pm

Im pretty sure a Prius will never be a classic. Not even If you wait a 100 years. I have seen a guy that have been storing and preserving a couple of cars that he bought brand new. After keeping them stored away for 35 years. He finaly thought he had the gold, and he put it on auktion. He did not even get a bid that was near what he paid for it new, let alone 30 plus years of storage. I belive it was a 1975 cordoba limited edition. I have seen that a couple of times. I had a frien that had a European ford sierra xr3i that was a wery expensive car when new. He did not drive it more than 1000miles over a periode of 25 years, beliving he would have a payday someday. He Barely broke even when he sold it. So just drive it and enjoy.
Hs1973
Hs1973
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 14

Back to top Go down

Post by Cammin Sat Nov 19, 2016 5:40 pm

That's the plan. Cool
Cammin
Cammin
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Cammin Wed Feb 08, 2017 2:22 pm

Much like life, this project has taken a few turns lately.

The engine I was planning to use is in approximately the same condition as mine, so I'm planning to pull mine and perform a re-ring rebuild; new cam, lifters, springs, gear drive, thinner than stock head gasket to raise compression a bit, etc.

I've been following along with Sloppy Mechanics (http://www.sloppymechanics.com/) since the turn of the year. Next, I found Project Joe Dirt (https://www.theturboforums.com/threads/365277-Project-Joe-Dirt-86-Monte-Carlo-SS-LSx-5-3-T70-Megasquirt-II) and I really like this set up.

So my plan is to rebuild the current short block and start acquiring parts for a 4.8L turbo build...
Cammin
Cammin
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by pila Wed Feb 08, 2017 4:34 pm

The words Prius and Classic sure don't go well together, do they !!

pila
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 43

Back to top Go down

Post by Cammin Wed Feb 08, 2017 5:13 pm

pila wrote: The words Prius and Classic sure don't go well together, do they !!

Truer words were never spoken.
Cammin
Cammin
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by fasrnur Wed Feb 08, 2017 6:57 pm

Limey, the elco in fact has 7/16"standard thread studs, where as the Sonoma has 12x1.5mm metric studs. I have S10 wheels on mine and use the stock Chevelle lug nuts.
fasrnur
fasrnur
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 9

Back to top Go down

Post by Cammin Sun Nov 12, 2017 6:31 pm

Quick update: I've pulled the driveshaft, which I plan to paint and replace the u-joints. I'll be pulling the engine this winter for the rebuild and I plan to have the Camino running by the start of Spring. I'll give updates as the winter progresses.
Cammin
Cammin
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Cammin Thu Nov 22, 2018 10:54 am

Long time coming, but finally ready to pull the engine when time allows. Gave it a Comet and Scotch Brite bath yesterday. I'll update when the engine is out.1975 EL Camino Royale with Cheese - Page 2 Img_2010
Cammin
Cammin
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Cammin Sun May 31, 2020 6:44 am

After a few bumps in rhe road, this project is back on track. Up next, the engine is coming out. We'll see what happens next.

I picked up the wheels and tires from a Craigslist seller, priced at $500. The wheels are 17x7 and 17x8, with 215/40 17 tires on the front and 255/40 17 tires on the rear. The tires show very little wear.

1975 EL Camino Royale with Cheese - Page 2 Screen10

Last edited by Cammin on Sat Jul 11, 2020 7:09 pm; edited 2 times in total
Cammin
Cammin
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Cammin Sat Jul 11, 2020 2:17 pm

Good news. I picked up a low mileage 350 ci. GM crate engine from a local rebuilder for $800. Whenever's I get time, I'll swap the short block out with this engine.

​​​​​​​The next big project will be to replace the front and rear floor pans. Any current recommendations on floor pan suppliers for these models?1975 EL Camino Royale with Cheese - Page 2 Screen10
Cammin
Cammin
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

fasrnur likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Cammin Mon Sep 07, 2020 5:32 pm

I need assistance finding the 1998 Hot Rod magazine issue which featured an article with the following title: 'Street Race Secrets: 25 ways to build the ultimate Street-Car Cheater' written by Mr. Kiewicz'. I've searched through eBay and other sites, however I'm not able to verify the issue with the limited information on the front covers and table of contents.

My plan is to integrate one or more items from the article in this build. Thanks in advance for your help.
Cammin
Cammin
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by g3chevy / Mr Pontiac Mon Sep 07, 2020 8:07 pm

Cammin, I would contact Hot Rod via email and they should be able to send you a copy of the archived article for a small fee. Here's the link. https://www.hotrod.com/contact-us/

Did you ever find a source for your floorboards? Rock Auto had them in the past but it appears they no longer offer them. My next choice would be Eklers. Look forward to seeing the progress on your build.

g3chevy / Mr Pontiac
g3chevy / Mr Pontiac
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 34

Back to top Go down

Post by Limey SE Mon Sep 07, 2020 9:03 pm

Ecklers Hs the Floor Boards BUT IS VERY VERY limited on stock as is EVERYONE on Metal replacement parts we were looking for some for my Daughters SE for the door she is working on at her CareerTec and floor pans and they said pans and all Metal Because of Covid 19 all factories are on Limited hours for the Facility to produce them

But also Talked with a Goodmark Rep in Ohio and they said Next spring early Summer we will start having door skins for our vehicles and POSSIBLY Stamped steel 2" cowl hoods and possibly Fenders .... BUT SAID the door skins for Chevelle and Monte Carlo are in the last few tweaking stages and Hopefully by next Summer should be available YAYYYYYY

Anthony
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Street Cred : 97

Back to top Go down

Post by g3chevy / Mr Pontiac Mon Sep 07, 2020 11:13 pm

Limey SE wrote:Ecklers Hs the Floor Boards BUT IS VERY VERY limited on stock as is EVERYONE on Metal replacement parts we were looking for some for my Daughters SE for the door she is working on at her CareerTec and floor pans and they said pans and all Metal Because of Covid 19 all factories are on Limited hours for the Facility to produce them

But also Talked with a Goodmark Rep in Ohio and they said Next spring early Summer we will start having door skins for our vehicles and POSSIBLY Stamped steel 2" cowl hoods and possibly Fenders .... BUT SAID the door skins for Chevelle and Monte Carlo are in the last few tweaking stages and Hopefully by next Summer should be available YAYYYYYY

Wow Limey, that makes sense. It seems many parts are on back order or unavailable these days.

Great news about the new sheet metal coming next year! Let us know about any updates on these!
g3chevy / Mr Pontiac
g3chevy / Mr Pontiac
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 34

Back to top Go down

Post by Cammin Tue Sep 08, 2020 7:35 am

[quote="g3chevy"]Cammin, I would contact Hot Rod via email and they should be able to send you a copy of the archived article for a small fee. Here's the link. https://www.hotrod.com/contact-us/

Did you ever find a source for your floorboards? Rock Auto had them in the past but it appears they no longer offer them. My next choice would be Eklers. Look forward to seeing the progress on your build.

Thanks for the Hot Rod info. I've sent a message and hopefully I will hear a reply soon.

I have not sourced the floorboards yet, so I'll check out your suggestions. Planning to swap the short blocks soon and I'll give an update when it happens.
Cammin
Cammin
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next