G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

1975 EL Camino Royale with Cheese

+12
pila
Hs1973
Sinister
Damon23
Mcarlo77
Limey SE
ant7377
riddick75
Joe73
knightfan26917
cutlassguy
77camino
16 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

1975 EL Camino Royale with Cheese - Page 3 Empty Re: 1975 EL Camino Royale with Cheese

Post by 77camino Tue Sep 08, 2020 12:01 pm

For under $35 or best offer you could buy the 1998 set.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/254686582899
77camino
77camino
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 8

Back to top Go down

1975 EL Camino Royale with Cheese - Page 3 Empty Re: 1975 EL Camino Royale with Cheese

Post by Cammin Tue Sep 08, 2020 1:18 pm

77camino wrote:For under $35 or best offer you could buy the 1998 set.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/254686582899

That's great. Thanks so much. Very Happy
Cammin
Cammin
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 2

Back to top Go down

Post by Cammin Thu Apr 08, 2021 4:04 pm

Finally have an update worth sharing. Purchased a 6v-53 Detroit Diesel blower for $100. After a good bit of searching, I found that Joe Blow Speed Shop in Australia makes bearing plates for these blowers (https://joeblospeedshop.com). Now, I'm researching fuel options that include three deuces and electronic fuel injection. Will need adapter plates to marry the blower to the engine and whatever fuel system I land on. I expect that my crate engine will work, if the boost stays on the conservative side. Will update when more progress is made.

The Stoner T series, on Hemmings' website, makes me want to hide the blower under the supercharger hat (image below). If not familiar with that build, I'd consider it a must read. https://www.hemmings.com/stories/2019/02/21/the-stoner-t-how-to-build-a-hot-rod-in-10-years-and-influence-people-part-18

1975 EL Camino Royale with Cheese - Page 3 Blower10
Cammin
Cammin
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Cammin Tue Nov 08, 2022 10:43 am

Look who's back in the game! After more stops and starts, I've replaced the rear passenger air shock with a new KYB shock, along with painting the brake drum using Rust-Oleum farm implement paint. Moving to the rear driver's side this week to do the same work. Next I'll move up front to replace the shocks there. This Winter will be reserved for getting the vehicle running again, hopefully before Spring arrives.

1975 EL Camino Royale with Cheese - Page 3 Brake_10

I picked this air cleaner up last weekend for $100. It's an unused replica with a new air filter still installed. Will route a pair of air ducts to it when the time comes.

1975 EL Camino Royale with Cheese - Page 3 Aircle11
Cammin
Cammin
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by g3chevy / Mr Pontiac Tue Nov 08, 2022 11:32 am

Heck yeah, looking good!
g3chevy / Mr Pontiac
g3chevy / Mr Pontiac
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 33

Back to top Go down

Post by Cammin Thu Nov 10, 2022 9:12 pm

Replaced the rear driver's side air shock with the KYB shock and painted the brake drum. While I was painting the drum, I cleaned and painted driveshaft with the same Rust-Oleum implement paint. Whoever designed that front, upper nut location is not getting a Christmas card this year.. Moving to the front shocks next. 

1975 EL Camino Royale with Cheese - Page 3 Black10

1975 EL Camino Royale with Cheese - Page 3 Drives11
Cammin
Cammin
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Cammin Sat Nov 12, 2022 8:45 am

g3chevy / Mr Pontiac wrote:Heck yeah, looking good!

Thanks Mr. Pontiac. I appreciate the support.
Cammin
Cammin
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Cammin Mon Jan 09, 2023 11:04 am

A few updates to report. I've purchased a Comp Cams he268 cam/lifter kit for the low compression 350, after finding a worn lobe on the cam I planned to use. Painted the intake, alternator and water pump. One more coat needed to make it right on the alternator. Also, finally installed the driver's side shock. Will update when more progress is made.

1975 EL Camino Royale with Cheese - Page 3 Cam10

1975 EL Camino Royale with Cheese - Page 3 Waterp10

1975 EL Camino Royale with Cheese - Page 3 Intake10
Cammin
Cammin
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Limey SE and Finn Monte like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by g3chevy / Mr Pontiac Mon Jan 09, 2023 12:06 pm

Nice upgrades! Be sure to do your research on breaking in that new cam. I've learned a ton of stuff in the past year doing 2 break in's on flat tappet engines. Here's a great video I just watched yesterday. This explains why not to use conventional oil with break in additive, but to only use true break in oil with the additives already blended in. It will save you a lot of heartache and money in the long run.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cPpFOAd2mGw
g3chevy / Mr Pontiac
g3chevy / Mr Pontiac
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Limey SE Mon Jan 09, 2023 2:07 pm

g3chevy / Mr Pontiac wrote:Nice upgrades! Be sure to do your research on breaking in that new cam. I've learned a ton of stuff in the past year doing 2 break in's on flat tappet engines. Here's a great video I just watched yesterday. This explains why not to use conventional oil with break in additive, but to only use true break in oil with the additives already blended in. It will save you a lot of heartache and money in the long run.

Thanks for Posting this My friend I have very recently heard about that and Glad you confirmed my suspicions thank you as you know I haven't started My 454 yet when I put the intake gaskets on I am gonna put some Assembly lube in there just for good measures I dont know how long it stays on the parts when assembled and its been a minute since put together....

Anthony
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Street Cred : 97

g3chevy / Mr Pontiac likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by g3chevy / Mr Pontiac Mon Jan 09, 2023 2:35 pm

Limey SE wrote:
g3chevy / Mr Pontiac wrote:Nice upgrades! Be sure to do your research on breaking in that new cam. I've learned a ton of stuff in the past year doing 2 break in's on flat tappet engines. Here's a great video I just watched yesterday. This explains why not to use conventional oil with break in additive, but to only use true break in oil with the additives already blended in. It will save you a lot of heartache and money in the long run.

Thanks for Posting this My friend I have very recently heard about that and Glad you confirmed my suspicions thank you as you know I haven't started My 454 yet when I put the intake gaskets on I am gonna put some Assembly lube in there just for good measures I dont know how long it stays on the parts when assembled and its been a minute since put together....

Hey Limey, glad to help getting the word out. I was quite stressed about the break in on my 400 sbc after seeing video after video of flat tappet cam failures. My 400 sat around for 6 months before I actually installed it so I think you'll be good with your assembly lube. But I would highly recommend priming the engine with your break in oil until you see it puking out all of your rockers before you start it up.
g3chevy / Mr Pontiac
g3chevy / Mr Pontiac
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Cammin Tue Jan 10, 2023 11:56 am

Thank you for the information. I'll make sure to watch the video. Another suggestion that I've encountered is using graphite spray on the lobes and lifter faces, as well as break-in oil. Any thoughts on that idea?
Cammin
Cammin
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by g3chevy / Mr Pontiac Tue Jan 10, 2023 12:14 pm

Cammin wrote:

Thank you for the information. I'll make sure to watch the video. Another suggestion that I've encountered is using graphite spray on the lobes and lifter faces, as well as break-in oil. Any thoughts on that idea?

Graphite spray sounds interesting. Project Farm did a video on graphite motor oil a couple years back. He did several tests and the results were not what I expected. Here's a link to that video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aqz5330Srdc
g3chevy / Mr Pontiac
g3chevy / Mr Pontiac
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Cammin Tue Jan 10, 2023 12:52 pm

Graphite spray sounds interesting. Project Farm did a video on graphite motor oil a couple years back. He did several tests and the results were not what I expected. Here's a link to that video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aqz5330Srdc
[/quote]

Thanks again for another useful link. I appreciate your help.
Cammin
Cammin
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

g3chevy / Mr Pontiac likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Cammin Thu Jun 15, 2023 3:26 pm

Following another extended break, I've installed the passenger front side shock. Also, I've turned my attention to the driver's side rear brake system. It's time to give those brakes the attention they deserve and bring them back to their former glory, LOL. First things first, I carefully disassembled the brake shoe hardware. Once disassembled, I got down and dirty to clean and revitalize the backing plate and parking brake shoe lever.

Next, I moved on to the wheel cylinder. With the finesse of a unskilled mechanic, I removed the two bolts holding it in place and gently disconnected the brake line. Out with the old, and in with the new! A brand spanking new unit was ready and waiting to take its rightful place.

Now that the wheel cylinder has been replaced, it's time to put everything back together. I'll be reassembling the brake shoe hardware next time. Once the driver's side rear brakes are fully assembled, I'll be shifting gears to the passenger side.

1975 EL Camino Royale with Cheese - Page 3 Driver13
Cammin
Cammin
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Limey SE likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by g3chevy / Mr Pontiac Thu Jun 15, 2023 11:19 pm

Ah, my arch nemesis the drum brake. They work great, but they are a pain to work on.
g3chevy / Mr Pontiac
g3chevy / Mr Pontiac
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Cammin Sat Jun 17, 2023 9:12 am

g3chevy / Mr Pontiac wrote:Ah, my arch nemesis the drum brake. They work great, but they are a pain to work on.

Mr. Pontiac, I can't agree with you more. But, I think I might have found the solution to our drum brake issues.

While scouring the vast depths of the internet, I stumbled upon a gem that I believe deserves to be a permanent fixture in the realm of drum brake enthusiasts. Feast your eyes upon this remarkable website, located at https://pbase.com/nufsed/drumbrake, where you'll discover an incredibly detailed breakdown of the intricacies involved in assembling a drum brake system. For anyone seeking guidance in repairing their beloved vehicle's drum brakes, this resource is an absolute must-have.

https://pbase.com/nufsed/drumbrake
Cammin
Cammin
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 76Chevelle2Tone Sat Jun 17, 2023 10:51 pm

g3chevy / Mr Pontiac wrote:Ah, my arch nemesis the drum brake. They work great, but they are a pain to work on.

Don't work on them. Just replace them. Wink
76Chevelle2Tone
76Chevelle2Tone
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3