G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

exhaust options

+2
Hydro King
JB2wheeler
6 posters

Go down

exhaust options Empty exhaust options

Post by coreys73chevelle Sun Jul 27, 2008 9:04 pm

i cant make my mind up on the exhaust. i will have Hooker long tube ceramic metallic coated headers, and cant decide on . 1st is dual 3inch exhaust out the back with flowmaster super 44 or spintech proshootout mufflers, or sidepipes off the headers, or purple hornie glasspacks off the headers into 2.5inch or 3inch exhaust exiting just before the rear tires. what do you guys think?
coreys73chevelle
coreys73chevelle
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Street Cred : 8

Back to top Go down

exhaust options Empty Re: exhaust options

Post by JB2wheeler Sun Jul 27, 2008 9:26 pm

I had Hooker long tube headers with 2 3/4s pipe and no H or X crossover and 18 inch Magnaflow mufflers. It sounded great and had no backflow. I am very old and could not take not being able to have a reasonable conversation at hiughway speeds of 65 MPH. I had an H crossover put in with resonators added to the very back. Now it sounds good and I can converse with little difficulty and I can tell there is backflow, but with 600 street horsepower I can afford to lose a little power. It just means my tires will last another couple of weeks before being replaced. JB
JB2wheeler
JB2wheeler
G3GM Fanatic
G3GM Fanatic

Street Cred : 28

Back to top Go down

Post by Hydro King Sun Jul 27, 2008 9:28 pm

Have you considered [url=JBA]http://www.jbaheaders.com/[/url]?

I plan on going with these guys.
Hydro King
Hydro King
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 4

Back to top Go down

Post by Hydro King Sun Jul 27, 2008 9:30 pm

Go with shorty's or block huggers. I am going with shorty's so the exhaust shop can put the cut outs in after the header. those long tubes are a waste they scrape every speed bump in town.
Hydro King
Hydro King
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 4

Back to top Go down

Post by Limey SE Mon Jul 28, 2008 2:02 am

coreys73chevelle wrote:i cant make my mind up on the exhaust. i will have Hooker long tube ceramic metallic coated headers, and cant decide on . 1st is dual 3inch exhaust out the back with flowmaster super 44 or spintech proshootout mufflers, or sidepipes off the headers, or purple hornie glasspacks off the headers into 2.5inch or 3inch exhaust exiting just before the rear tires. what do you guys think?
need a 3" x-pipe for your install if so let me know

Anthony
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Street Cred : 97

Back to top Go down

Post by jonny o Mon Aug 04, 2008 9:05 pm

I have only seen 1 of our cars with sidepipes that I liked. In my opinion, the frame drops too low under the body and without channeling the body, it's hard to get the pipes tucked up in. Most of the sets I have seen are too low. IN my opinion, the only way to do sidepipes right is to push them out from fenderwell headers (custom made for our cars) then BESIDE the frame rail just under the door.

As far as longtubes scraping... it's not really a problem on our cars. It's just my opinion, but that's a myth from camaro guys or anyone who puts a generic header on our cars. If you buy a quality header, made for your car, it should not be lower than the k-member.

As far as side exit, I'm working on that now, and a 3 inch round exit looks like trash... same problem with the frame hanging too low. I'm thinking about a flat exit, like dr gas makes for nascar, but they are too expensive. I'm making my own and will let you know how it goes.

jonny o
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 2

Back to top Go down

Post by BlackChevelleSS Mon Aug 04, 2008 9:45 pm

Anyways, go longtubes as they are the best for performance. If you plan on anything over 400hp go to 3" out the back, especially if your going with that blower youll want to get as most exhaust out as you can. Go mandrel bent with an X-pipe and the mufflers you think sound the best. I have Hooker AeroChambers and they sound great not that tinny flowmaster sound.

exhaust options SIG2
BlackChevelleSS
BlackChevelleSS
Management
Management

Street Cred : 20

Back to top Go down

Post by jonny o Tue Aug 05, 2008 1:45 pm

I'll second that you should stay away from flowmaster.

jonny o
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by coreys73chevelle Tue Aug 05, 2008 1:59 pm

thanks, i think ill get hooker long tube ceramic metallic headers, dual electric cutouts from raceready into 3 inch exhaust with an x pipe and hooker aerotubes and go all the way out the rear like it is now.
coreys73chevelle
coreys73chevelle
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Back to top Go down

Post by jonny o Tue Aug 05, 2008 2:09 pm

Make sure they are ceramic coated inside and out...
Break in and tune the motor on old headers.
Once they are bolted on, fire the motor and run it slow for 5 min, then let completely cool. Repeat a couple times.

What kind of power are you making, and how much time are you going to spend at the strip? You might end up slowing down your exhaust velocity out of the primaries with 3 inch pipes... although the cool factor is there, and they definitely sound good.

jonny o
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by coreys73chevelle Tue Aug 05, 2008 2:12 pm

ill be making about 430-450 crank according to the guy who did the motor work for the previous owner but i did more to it and even tho. i dont hink its that high, but next year ill be putting a 177wiend on it
coreys73chevelle
coreys73chevelle
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Back to top Go down

Post by coreys73chevelle Tue Aug 05, 2008 2:13 pm

be at the track at least twice a month or more
coreys73chevelle
coreys73chevelle
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Back to top Go down

Post by jonny o Tue Aug 05, 2008 2:17 pm

Cool man. I can probably get you a pretty close guess if you want to run me through the parts.

With a huffer, as long as you are starting with a low static, you will be moving enough volume to keep it flowing through 3 in. Until then, you might lack a little bit of velocity once it gets through the collector, and you might lose a little bottom-end. I would imagine you have a pretty conservative cam in it, so you should be alright. Let us know how it sounds!

jonny o
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by coreys73chevelle Tue Aug 05, 2008 2:23 pm

ill put a 1st start vid, after break in , a burnout vid, race a 99 LS1 transam with nos vid too.// for parts its a
`350 block bored and stroked .30 over all hottanked and machined smoothed, honed.
`new 350crank balanced and polished, `roller cam 248 on intake 447exhaust, `cast aluminum pistons 30 over, `soon to have edelbrock rpm airgap intake, ` headers are short now but will be long hookers, `roller tip rockers, comp cams push rods, 2.02 heads, and edelbrock 750 cfm carb there is more but thats what i think of now
coreys73chevelle
coreys73chevelle
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Back to top Go down

Post by jonny o Tue Aug 05, 2008 2:29 pm

Sounds like a healthy motor. Especially with a full roller setup. 430-450 might be a little on the high side, depending on the specific cam and head info.
Small blocks make a lot of power when stroked, or good flowing heads are matched with a good amount of compression.

jonny o
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by coreys73chevelle Tue Aug 05, 2008 2:32 pm

the pistons are low compression and ill be putting the 177 supercharger on it too.
coreys73chevelle
coreys73chevelle
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down