G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Delay wiper harness

4 posters

Go down

Delay wiper harness Empty Delay wiper harness

Post by crice63 Sun Sep 24, 2017 2:13 am

I managed to buy a pulse wiper switch and motor but not the extra harness. On searches I've found the routing of the harness, "through the hole below the washer bottle, over the brake booster mount, and to the motor." I also found a picture, posted by Steve,

Delay wiper harness Pulsew10

Unless someone has an extra hanging around, I will need to make one. Anybody happen to know the wire sizes? Is there a place that sells the range of clips GM used in our cars? Looks like the tan wire is a ground maybe?

crice63
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 2

Back to top Go down

Delay wiper harness Empty Re: Delay wiper harness

Post by crice63 Wed May 23, 2018 12:17 am

Rather than make one I found someone who made them and ordered one.

Delay wiper harness 40486079280_6a57e1e0c8_z

Delay wiper harness 27423017527_778aa0c7d0_z

Next is routing. "through the hole below the washer bottle," but I don't have such a hole so I will drill one. Anyone happen to know about where this hole is? beside the fuse box? further over toward the e-brake? I see there are some dents in the firewall around there but no hole.  Also, after I drill through my firewall (never done that before) do I need to do anything to the edge of the hole? The new harness has a grommet but I don't want it all cut up and also rather not give rust another foothold.

Delay wiper harness 27423017647_eb0a40c965_c

crice63
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by thatfnthing Wed May 23, 2018 9:15 am

As long as you prime and paint the hole, it will be fine -- as long as it's not constantly exposed to water (which the grommet will help protect it from), it shouldn't rust.

If you're reluctant to drill a hole, you could cut the wire, find a couple unused holes in the stock bulkhead connector, and use the Packard type 56 terminals that GM used and wire it through that connector like the factory did.  That's how I did mine.
thatfnthing
thatfnthing
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 65

Back to top Go down

Post by g3chevy / Mr Pontiac Wed May 23, 2018 10:34 am

Clai, I have factory delay wipers on my 75 Laguna. I'll try to take a pic this afternoon of the grommet location on the firewall if that will help. Otherwise I would do what Thatfnthing suggested about utilizing the existing bulkhead connector for a cleaner look.
g3chevy / Mr Pontiac
g3chevy / Mr Pontiac
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 33

Back to top Go down

Post by Mcarlo77 Wed May 23, 2018 10:54 am

The hole is located under the brake booster...and just to the right (towards the passenger side) of the bulkhead connector. You have to drill it from the cabin side of the firewall. If I recall, when you pull the insulation back on the inside, there is a stamped circle imprint in the sheet metal to use as a reference.

Did you ever figure out how to bench test the switch?
Mcarlo77
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 77

Back to top Go down

Post by crice63 Wed May 23, 2018 5:38 pm

Thatfnthing told me how to test the switch but I haven’t done it yet.

The bulkhead connector is not a bad idea. What is the black stuff GM has applied all over it, presumably for weather protection? Honesty I’m more likely to drill the hole but I want to think about both solutions. I will probably drill a hole for an amp wire and maybe also for cruise control?

crice63
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by thatfnthing Wed May 23, 2018 5:49 pm

crice63 wrote:The bulkhead connector is not a bad idea. What is the black stuff GM has applied all over it, presumably for weather protection?  Honesty I’m more likely to drill the hole but I want to think about both solutions. I will probably drill a hole for an amp wire and maybe also for cruise control?  

It's just a waterproofing compound they used to keep the water out of the connection, since it's possible it may get some splash on the engine bay side.  It hardens over time, so it's not really reusable and you have to pick it out -- any decent set of picks will let you poke it through.  Then you can use the M/F Packard terminals, and then just put some grease or silicone over it to waterproof it.

FWIW, if you have more things to run than available ports in the stock bulkhead connector (like me), you can also add one of these as a secondary bulkhead connector:

https://www.amazon.com/Delphi-Packard-Bulkhead-Weather-Pack-Removal/dp/B07C5J9LG5/ref=sr_1_20?ie=UTF8&qid=1527112030&sr=8-20&keywords=weatherpack+connector+kits
thatfnthing
thatfnthing
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 65

Back to top Go down

Post by g3chevy / Mr Pontiac Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:28 pm

Clai, sorry for the delay but I finally got a pic of the firewall today on my Laguna. It's kinda hard to see but the wire harness for the pulse wipers is directly below the 3 small indentions between the power brake booster and the washer fluid tank. Hope this helps.

Delay wiper harness 20180610
g3chevy / Mr Pontiac
g3chevy / Mr Pontiac
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by crice63 Thu Jun 07, 2018 11:06 am

That does help. Thanks Bill. I don't know that I have a factory spot right there, though I did find one just behind the booster more or less, inboard of the bulkhead connector.

Delay wiper harness 41746453655_c9672417b3_z

In any case, it seems like a large hole for such a small wire. Looks like the large grommet has a smaller grommet in it. Seems like overkill but again, I'm not an engineer. I wonder what the logic is there?

crice63
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by g3chevy / Mr Pontiac Thu Jun 07, 2018 12:02 pm

I believe that opening would be for the clutch linkage that goes to the pedal if you have a standard transmission.
g3chevy / Mr Pontiac
g3chevy / Mr Pontiac
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down