G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Memories + "Uncool" Cars

+19
dragons_lair59
knightfan26917
dynchel
Biomedtech
77mali
Mcarlo77
WyldeBill66
alleyball4
The Dude
Psychlonic
JB2wheeler
pila
Roadcaptain S3
74MonteCarlo
abajc3
bigredlaguna
Limey SE
Laguna Budman
1973montec
23 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Memories + "Uncool" Cars - Page 2 Empty Re: Memories + "Uncool" Cars

Post by Roadcaptain S3 Fri Nov 19, 2010 2:52 pm

I shall boweth before the zinger master, and concede defeat.

I'm off to the lab to brew my revenge, bwhahahahah.
Roadcaptain S3
Roadcaptain S3
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 26

Back to top Go down

Post by pila Fri Nov 19, 2010 7:33 pm

My younger brother worked for Chrysler until he retired about 2 years ago. He had one of those Plymouth Lasers. A little 4-banger with a turbo. I drove that little car, and it was really a powerhouse. It would slam ya back in the seat at 80 mph if ya nailed it. He said it was 180 hp, but he had a ECM chip to get 200 hp out of it. I felt sorry for the bearings in that little engine!
My Chrysler experience wasn't much. Had a '54 New Yorker, 331 Hemi. great engine, not a great car. And had a '62 Dodge with a 440 in it. But had a bunch of the Chrysler Hemi engines in the old days, 331,354, and the mighty 392, which I had in a '37 Furd pickup.

pila
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 43

Back to top Go down

Post by knightfan26917 Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:20 pm

Roadcaptain S3 wrote:You aren't alone in being exposed to Chevette's Cort, those things were everywhere for a long time. Kinda like VW bugs.
Then suddenly they were all gone.
I did see an auto mechanic driving one about two weeks ago at the local Stop-n-Rob station. First one I had seen on the road since the late eighties.

I saw one on the road not too long ago, which is what reminded me of my parents' former '82 Chevette...LOL! And, I saw this one during my November 2007 road trip:
http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort/roadtrips/200711/RT11260712_JohnC82Chevette1_JPG.html

But ... for the most part ... they were there, then they were gone. Kinda sad, in a way.... At least those were RWD!

Rago wrote:Luckily I don't have too many memories of uncool cars. I do remember (I'm ready to take heat for this one) my mom's big ugly banana which was a creamish yellow 76 Caprice four door. That was so embarrassing to be taken to school in. Looking back it wasn't all too bad of a car when compared to the 96 Corsica that she traded it in for.

*gasps*

I don't know you anymore, Rago! LOL! Wink

NO worries ... I know what you mean, though. Those weren't exactly "cool" to kids, but I tell you ... I wouldn't mind having one of those. Heck, I want a '75 CC convertible! As for that Corsica....goodness. She should've sold me that CC! lol

74MonteCarlo wrote:I'll be honest, I think those Celebrity Eurosports are/were decent looking cars. I don't go all gaga over them, but compared to a standard Celebrity, it looks fairly sharp.

I actually agree with you on that one Wink.

Isn't it interesting, though, how some cars we thought of as "uncool" as kids, aren't so bad now? Case in point ... that darn '82 Chevette my parents had. I HATED that car ... because it replaced "MY" 1976 MC. But, looking back now, I wouldn't mind having that Chevette back either...lol.

Cort | 37.m.IL.pigValve.pacemaker | 5 Monte Carlos + 1 Caprice Classic |* Chicagoland Meets, 2011?
MCs.CC + CHD.models.HO.legos.RadioShows + RoadTrips.us66 = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort
"It's the right time to rock the night away" ... Bobby Helms ... 'Jingle Bell Rock'
knightfan26917
knightfan26917
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Street Cred : 8

Back to top Go down

Post by The Dude Tue Dec 07, 2010 10:34 am

knightfan26917 wrote:
Rago wrote:Luckily I don't have too many memories of uncool cars. I do remember (I'm ready to take heat for this one) my mom's big ugly banana which was a creamish yellow 76 Caprice four door. That was so embarrassing to be taken to school in. Looking back it wasn't all too bad of a car when compared to the 96 Corsica that she traded it in for.

*gasps*

NO worries ... I know what you mean, though. Those weren't exactly "cool" to kids, but I tell you ... I wouldn't mind having one of those. Heck, I want a '75 CC convertible! As for that Corsica....goodness. She should've sold me that CC! lol

Yeah looking back, it had a 400 small block & would have made a decent cruiser if not for the color. If I remember right, she got less in trade-in than most people nowadays would pay for the engine by itself. It even had the skirts in good shape. I don't believe that I've seen a mid 70's "glasshouse" in about ten years though. I think they just disappeared too.
The Dude
The Dude
Management
Management

Street Cred : 48

Back to top Go down

Post by dragons_lair59 Tue Dec 07, 2010 12:38 pm

car i owned that were considered un cool
75- mc
77-mc
84-87-91 s-10 blazers
74 malibu
78 lesabre 2dr
mid 70's merc montego mx 4dr
dragons_lair59
dragons_lair59
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 11

Back to top Go down

Post by The Dude Tue Dec 07, 2010 1:42 pm

Blow Up Blasphemy!

Blazers have always been cool. Laughing
The Dude
The Dude
Management
Management

Back to top Go down

Post by dragons_lair59 Tue Dec 07, 2010 7:25 pm

most of the people i know are into older muscle pre 72 and/or g bodies
dragons_lair59
dragons_lair59
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by JB2wheeler Tue Dec 07, 2010 8:37 pm

dragons_lair59 wrote:most of the people i know are into older muscle pre 72 and/or g bodies
Yeah, some people never grow up. JB
JB2wheeler
JB2wheeler
G3GM Fanatic
G3GM Fanatic

Street Cred : 28

Back to top Go down

Post by dragons_lair59 Wed Dec 08, 2010 11:55 pm

one thing i love abot g3's is that most people dont give them a second look so a. ussually cheap. b nobady wants to steal them. c. comfortable to cruise in
dragons_lair59
dragons_lair59
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by knightfan26917 Sun Dec 19, 2010 8:46 pm

Rago wrote:
knightfan26917 wrote:

*gasps*

Yeah looking back, it had a 400 small block & would have made a decent cruiser if not for the color. If I remember right, she got less in trade-in than most people nowadays would pay for the engine by itself. It even had the skirts in good shape. I don't believe that I've seen a mid 70's "glasshouse" in about ten years though. I think they just disappeared too.

Yes, they certainly did....... Sad

And, that dealership got a sweet car ... they probably junked it, eh?

Cort | 37.m.IL.pigValve.pacemaker | 5 Monte Carlos + 1 Caprice Classic |
** RadioShow.CDshowcase.HOLIDAY | Friday | 12.24.2010 | noon-4p.CENTRAL = www.WRMN1410.com **
"Remember that fat boy, bring that kid, if you want to see New Year's Eve" ... Mona Abboud, native/resident of Sleepy Hollow IL ... 'The Pretty Little Dolly'
knightfan26917
knightfan26917
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Back to top Go down

Post by The Dude Mon Dec 20, 2010 11:49 am

No telling. It was about 15 years ago so I was just a teenager.
The Dude
The Dude
Management
Management

Back to top Go down

Post by Psychlonic Tue Dec 21, 2010 2:50 pm

To be quite honest, I used to be pretty embarrassed to be seen in the car I own now (77 Malibu) back when my grandparents owned it. I was only 9 but it seemed like the classic old granny mobile. Sad It was a faded forest green and still had it's vinyl top and side chrome strips, the spoked hubcaps... basically all original except that everything was rotting by that point. To me then, that was "uncool".

I think my opinion changed quite dramatically when I saw it after the chrome strips had been taken off the doors, vinyl top removed, new wheels put on, and a fresh coat of paint applied. I was still only adolescent then, but I thought that was the coolest thing ever. There's really nothing like a fixed up G3 at all, nothing comes close to the style. They're true diamonds in the rough and one of a kind with some TLC put into them.

Being a bit younger than most of you, I'll let you in on a more recent uncool car: The original Furd Taurus. Might have been car of the year back when it made its debut and featured then-fantastic technology, but by the time I could drive it was NOT the car you wanted to be found in...

... I owned one for 3 years. Laughing

Psychlonic
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 2

Back to top Go down

Post by Biomedtech Tue Dec 21, 2010 10:51 pm

knightfan26917 wrote:

1988 TOYOTA NOVA / Ch#$r%*et COROLLA sedan, FWD, light blue
= Grandparents purchased new
= replaced their 1978 Plymouth Horizon
= Just about every car my grandparents had purchased were ones that my grandfather wanted. This time, Gram got to choose...and she wanted her Nova. I couldn't persuade her to buy a MC....
= I cleaned this car every year. Once, the day after I cleaned it, they were hit in a local grocer store parking lot.
= We took this car to Pine-Apple Orchard in Maple Park IL a few years in a row and to Milwaukee WI one summer.
= My parents bought this and kept it for a few years before it died completely.

LOL even worse, those weren't made by Toyota... Rather they were manufactured by Dae Woo in south Korea, my wife had the "Pontiac Lemans" variant. Never knew they were Korean until I got stationed there for a year with the Army back in '97. Saw those Dae Woo badged POS' everywhere!

My uncool car for my formative years was my first car...

Memories + "Uncool" Cars - Page 2 45398310

The venerable 73 Buick Electra 225. My friends and I called it the battleship. It's one saving grace was the lack of a pillar between the front & rear windows. affraid It enabled us to really wind up to throw eggs at the cross town rival football teams' school buses. Laughing
Biomedtech
Biomedtech
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 5

Back to top Go down

Post by knightfan26917 Thu Dec 30, 2010 2:51 am

Biomedtech wrote:My uncool car for my formative years was my first car...

Memories + "Uncool" Cars - Page 2 45398310

The venerable 73 Buick Electra 225.

*raises eyebrows ever so slightly*

That Buick is uncool??? Say it ain't so! I wouldn't mind owning one of those.....

Cort | 37.m.IL.pigValve.pacemaker | 5 Monte Carlos + 1 Caprice Classic |
MCs.CC + CHD.models.HO.legos.RadioShows + RoadTrips.us66 = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort
"It's a natural attraction" ... Neal McCoy ... 'The Shake'
knightfan26917
knightfan26917
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Back to top Go down

Post by The Dude Thu Dec 30, 2010 11:14 am

Give her a satin black paint job & she's ready to go.
The Dude
The Dude
Management
Management

Back to top Go down

Post by Biomedtech Thu Dec 30, 2010 12:43 pm

Hehehe, back in '84 growing up in a part of town where tons of big 3 execs lived, this car wasn't too cool. Now its a different story!
Biomedtech
Biomedtech
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by alleyball4 Thu Dec 30, 2010 5:52 pm

I'm guilty...When I was in college, I had a red 81 2 dr chevette. I didn't know I wasn't cool back then. It got great gas mileage, and on the weekends, me and my girl, would lift the back hatch, and watch the submarine races at the lake...lol

alleyball4
alleyball4
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by knightfan26917 Sun Jan 16, 2011 3:23 pm

Rago wrote:Give her a satin black paint job & she's ready to go.

Heck ... I'd drive it like that. Though, that paint job sure would be sweet.....

Biomedtech wrote:Hehehe, back in '84 growing up in a part of town where tons of big 3 execs lived, this car wasn't too cool. Now its a different story!

LOL! Yeah, I can see that.... Smile

Cort | 37.m.IL.pigValve.pacemaker | 5 Monte Carlos + 1 Caprice Classic | * 06.2011_RT=us66+NW USA
"There's so much I need to say to you" __ Phil Collins __ 'Take A Look At Me Now / Against All Odds'
knightfan26917
knightfan26917
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Back to top Go down

Post by dynchel Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:24 am

OK I'm gonna add to this old thread...I think the current most uncool car in existence is the smart car. A close second would be a Nissan juke. How anybody could drive such ugly vehicles I will never know. First time I saw a smart car it pulled up next to me at a red light, the stupid thing went from the front bumper to the dash board of my crown Vic. The guy had this stupid grin on his face like he was driving a Bentley or something. I was truly embarrassed for him. Embarassed I used to thing madators and pacers were worst of the worst but not any more. happy bowtie
dynchel
dynchel
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 40

Back to top Go down

Post by 77mali Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:07 am

I detest the new Fiats. Thanks Mopar (or Mopario) No offense to Italian Americans named Anthony who live in NY...LOL

All those mini/micro cars suck. Coffins on wheels.
77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 62

Back to top Go down

Post by ant7377 Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:08 pm

No offense taken! I like Fiats as a hobby type car,real s#it box if you think its going to get you to work every day,maybe the new ones are better. I used to think that the cars of South Korea were shitty but Ive since changed my mind about that. When I was in Europe last summer I gotta say there is a HUGE plethora of uncool shitty cars there. Look up something called a Furd Ka --YUCK!
ant7377
ant7377
G3GM Addict
G3GM Addict

Street Cred : 36

Back to top Go down

Post by WyldeBill66 Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:43 pm

How about the Nissan Cube and the Xb shoebox mobiles...WTF!!!

WyldeBill66
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 3

Back to top Go down

Post by Mcarlo77 Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:48 pm

WyldeBill66 wrote:How about the Nissan Cube and the Xb shoebox mobiles...WTF!!!

Couldn't agree more! Every time I see one of those, I'm completely confounded by the owners who actually made a conscious decision to take their hard earned money and plunk it down on one of these s*#t boxes. Have they no pride?!!
Mcarlo77
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 77

Back to top Go down

Post by dynchel Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:06 pm

I thought of another...dodge caliber. Evil or Very Mad or Subaru b9 Tribeca. Puke
dynchel
dynchel
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 40

Back to top Go down

Post by 77mali Thu Apr 18, 2013 4:44 pm

Another dog coffin is the Nissan Leaf. I haven't seen anything this Fugly in a while.
Memories + "Uncool" Cars - Page 2 Nissan10
Barf Puke
77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 62

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down